All out of RPGS, please help :(

Anou

Traveler
Over the summer, I decided to play all the RPG's people raved about, forsaking all else in order to beat these games. Arcanum, Anarchronax, and basically, all Bioware, Black Isle, and Obsidian games. But now, Ive done and run out of good RPG's to play. I asked around at other places, and got JRPGS (ugh) or stuff like Oblivion and Gothic. Which is all well and good, but Id rather play a game with a good storyline based on choice, rather then being shoehorned into one path. This site has informed me on a ton of new RPGs, so it can be concluded that many of you here should know something that fits my criteria. I dont care much for graphics, since I managed to suffer through Anarchronax so basically anything with a good storyline with choice, preferably with character customization instead of being forced into a role.

I am at my wit's end here, please help :(

If you finished all Bioware, Black Isle, and Obsidian games in 1 Summer then you have way too much time on your hands son. :)

lol :D

My advice would be : Go back and try out some older games, and if you've got Dungeon Siege, then try out Lazarus. ;)

if you are looking for party based games then (which it looks like you are since you railed gothic) then might i suggest-

divine divinity
summoner
or either of the vampire the masquerade games

if you are willing to play pre 2000 games them i'm sure people can come up with a truckload of those for you to sift through.

What are you whining?
You did not even mention the Might & Magic games! :D
Also check out arx fatalis.

I'll never get tired of pimping Prelude to Darkness. It's free here, so you really have no excuse not to try it. It crashes a lot, so be prepared for that, but it's totally worth it, one of the best rpgs I've played in a long time. It's got lots of multiple paths/nonlinearity/choice & consequence/openess/reactivity so you really can't go wrong there. It also has the best character development system ever (use-based +point based), great combat, great attribute/skill application, etc.

The Geneforges and the Avernums are fun, I hear. However, you should probably either play 'em all in order, or just play the last ones (that's what I opted for) - the graphics aren't the problem, but the interface improvements are fairly apparent and hard to get over if you later want to try one of the older ones.

Vampire Bloodlines
Daggerfall
Evil Islands
Wizardry Series
Goldbox Series
Might & Magic Series
Dark Sun Series
Fallout Series
Spellforce Series
Jagged Alliance Series
Realms of Arkania Series
Ultima / Ultima Underworld Series
Bards Tale Series
Wasteland
Dragon Wars
Dungeon Master Series
Betrayal at Krondor & Return to Krondor
System Shock Series

Did you say that you hadn't played the Gothic games?

mike tell me you've played the "big four"

Ultimas
Bard's Tales (includes Dragon Wars)
Wizardries (non Japanese)
and Might & Magics (traditional RPG)

Dark Heart of Uukrul is one I recommend and the two (actually three) Starflights.
I also recommend Space Rogue.

How about Adventure games? Are you into them?

Fallout? It's by the same crew as Arcanum and should be worth a shot.
When it comes to old school games Betrayal at Krondor or Ultima Underworld might work. Maybe the Darksun games as well (they feel a bit like BG with mid 90s technology).

Demand for storyline sort of rules out Might and Magic, as those games are hack and slash fests more than anything else (they are good at it tho, and you have plenty of options for how to organize your monster killing group). Of the other suggestions I'd advice against goldbox (while they have a story and I like them they are hack n slash affairs that dont really offer any choices whatsoever). Even if games are old we should recognise them for what they are:p

I would still recommend giving the early Gothics a shot. Gothic 1 and 2 actually have decent storylines and excellent (IMHO among the best to be found) NPCs, and I'd argue that at least G2 isnt that much more linear than the Baldurs Gate series (whose non-linearity is somewhat overstated to say the least). Character customisation is essentially limited to fighter/archer/mage though....

G2 Night of the Raven on the other hand requires such character optimization and is so unforgiving that it felt like a chore once I was done with the expansion world.

Over the summer, I decided to play all the RPG's people raved about, forsaking all else in order to beat these games. Arcanum, Anarchronax, and basically, all Bioware, Black Isle, and Obsidian games. But now, Ive done and run out of good RPG's to play. I asked around at other places, and got JRPGS (ugh) or stuff like Oblivion and Gothic. Which is all well and good, but Id rather play a game with a good storyline based on choice, rather then being shoehorned into one path. This site has informed me on a ton of new RPGs, so it can be concluded that many of you here should know something that fits my criteria. I dont care much for graphics, since I managed to suffer through Anarchronax so basically anything with a good storyline with choice, preferably with character customization instead of being forced into a role.

I am at my wit's end here, please help :(

Based on what I conceptualize in your request, U5Lazarus is an excellent choice. I played it after reading recommendations here from Corwin & others, and even though the combat is a tad clickfesty (at *times*) due to it being implemented on the Dungeon Siege 1 engine, it really offers a wealth of traditional CRPG exploration, well defined & unique characters, interactivity, a good story backdrop, and a profound variety of choices & consequences in that world. A massive free-roamer, with a high/challenging difficulty level.

Equally big & bold, with a traditional C & C roleplaying element, are the Tortured Hearts mods and the Runes Of Blood mod (for the NWN engine). These games are massive free-roamers, difficult, with many impactful decisions to be made.

TH1 http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3799

TH2 http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=5347

ROB http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4038

I used to think that mods were merely game add-ons, not entire, often massive, well refined games in themselves. Initially, I thought they'd be hard to install, but later found them to be a piece of cake.

Other than that, I'd direct you towards Fallout 1 & 2 / Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (which I guess you've already played ?) , and everybody's favorite sandbox, Morrowind.
Temple Of Elemental Evil couldn't hurt either, and check out the thread (in this section) "The C-RPG Lives On" to cheer on the new traditionalists.

Anachronox is a very underated game!!

And of course - Pool of radiance II - which i am nearing the end of ... loved it all the way. :)

Hm, well, storywise i think its just as great as they should be.

Otherwise, there is always System Shock II which will be replayed again after the anticlimax play through of Bioshock.

....And Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 are very overrated.

I wouldnt say so. Few games have captivated me as good as those two. Som complain about the latter one but there is som decent mods available for it now.

Anachronox is a very underated game!!

It has decent critic reviews, raving user reviews (in mobygames), good humour, cyperpunk theme and it costs only 8 bucks. Whats there not to like. ;)

Otherwise, there is always System Shock II which will be replayed again after the anticlimax play through of Bioshock.

I agree.

I'm still playing Bioshock, and while I must say it's a great game, it's definitely not as good as System Shock 2.

Back
Top Bottom