Endless Space 2 & Endless Legend - New Expansions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
RockPaperShotgun reports that Endless Space 2 & Endless Legend will have new expansions on January 24th called Penumbra and Symbiosis respectively.

Endless Space 2 - Penumbra introduces the long-awaited hacking feature, invisibility and the community-created faction: the Umbral Choir.

Endless Legend - Symbiosis brings forth new colossal beasts called Urkans as well as a brand-new faction: The Mykara.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

As much as I love playing these games the amount of updates, and new content is staggering. By that I have to many other games to play to keep playing this.:)

Last edited:
I love Endless Legends but go ahead and make a damn sequel already!!!

I would like to see a new version or more DLC for Dungeon of the Endless. It is my favorite of the Endless series.

I would guess still no proper combat for Endless Space 2?!
That is only reason why I never played the game. Endless Space was kind of fine but also lacked proper combat. Endless Legend actually had proper combat, I was really disappointed that ES2 combat system was worse than even ES1.

The combat is about the worst thing in Endless Legend. I don't like this "everything moves at the same time" approach... it feels odd.

Still a great game though. And yes, a sequel would be nice at some point.

The combat is about the worst thing in Endless Legend. I don't like this "everything moves at the same time" approach… it feels odd.

Still a great game though. And yes, a sequel would be nice at some point.
What do you mean? It was turn based combat, not real time. You just had to learn how to play it well. That meant knowing initiative of your troops and theirs and knowing which units can only attack or defend once, which can do it multiple times, which can do AoE attacks and so on.
It was very tactical because of all these abilities.
Yea, if you just expected to steamroll AI to victory based on just your equipment and number of troops and not care how you play the combat I can see the problem.

In that case you might want to play Civilization games instead, they are for people that like simple mindless combat.

What do you mean? It was turn based combat, not real time. You just had to learn how to play it well. That meant knowing initiative of your troops and theirs and knowing which units can only attack or defend once, which can do it multiple times, which can do AoE attacks and so on.
It was very tactical because of all these abilities.
Yea, if you just expected to steamroll AI to victory based on just your equipment and number of troops and not care how you play the combat I can see the problem.

In that case you might want to play Civilization games instead, they are for people that like simple mindless combat.

He's referring to the fact EL uses a simultaneous turn system. Personally I like that, it adds a layer of unpredictability. You can still Steam Roll everything late game though, but the first hours are always the most fun in these type of games.

What do you mean? It was turn based combat, not real time.

I know, but if I remember it correctly, the turn-based implementation is a bit different than in most other games. That means, you have two phases: one where you plan the moves of your troops (and your enemy does the same) and then a phase with the actual movements / attacks. So my initial statement may be a bit simplified, they are not really moving all at the same time, but all are moving without further interference by the player in the second phase. Just don't like that concept.

That has nothing to do with the tactical options you mentioned.

Yeah, I love you, too. :rolleyes: :kiss:

@TomRon;
Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. May be a matter of taste.

I know, but if I remember it correctly, the turn-based implementation is a bit different than in most other games. That means, you have two phases: one where you plan the moves of your troops (and your enemy does the same) and then a phase with the actual movements / attacks. So my initial statement may be a bit simplified, they are not really moving all at the same time, but all are moving without further interference by the player in the second phase. Just don't like that concept.

That has nothing to do with the tactical options you mentioned.
OK. I can agree that it might look confusing at first but it was very tactical, just maybe not intuitive to new players. But if you used some effort to learn it, it was a very nice system.
Yeah, I love you, too. :rolleyes: :kiss:
Don't be mad because of truth. Civ games have simpler combat than EL, this is not an opinion.
Of course, it is not simpler just because of the turn system. EL has equipment, levels and heroes and their abilities. Civ is way more simple in this part of the game. Civ has more options outside the combat.

Don't be mad because of truth. Civ games have simpler combat than EL, this is not an opinion.
Of course, it is not simpler just because of the turn system. EL has equipment, levels and heroes and their abilities. Civ is way more simple in this part of the game. Civ has more options outside the combat.

Whatever floats your boat, I never made any claims about Civ. I'm very sorry you failed to notice that.

I'm learning a lot about how to squeeze the lemon from these guys :)

Always a good thing to know. In their defense at least all their expansions are substantial. But releasing an expansion for a five year old game...that lemon should be pretty dry by now.

Always a good thing to know. In their defense at least all their expansions are substantial. But releasing an expansion for a five year old game…that lemon should be pretty dry by now.

I've bought every single DLC for Endless Legend, because I like the game. I haven't really played them enough to tell their value.

That said, I think they're overdoing it a little. There's nothing wrong with a opportunism - but sometimes you need to implement a little class as well.

I've bought every single DLC for Endless Legend, because I like the game. I haven't really played them enough to tell their value.

That said, I think they're overdoing it a little. There's nothing wrong with a opportunism - but sometimes you need to implement a little class as well.

I'm more surprised it's economically viable, although now that you mention it I've bought all the expansions as well I believe. So perhaps we should stop enabling them? Nah, I'll probably buy this one too.

I'm more surprised it's economically viable, although now that you mention it I've bought all the expansions as well I believe. So perhaps we should stop enabling them? Nah, I'll probably buy this one too.

Well, while I'm sure they'd never admit it - the effort to produce a DLC race with a tiny handful of new features is pretty modest compared to the price they're charging, so I don't think there's any question it's viable.

That's not to say it's particularly profitable - but I have no doubt there's a decent return all the same.

No skin off my back, but I'd really rather they focused on a sequel. Endless Space 2 was a disappointment - and they need to up their game for the next one :)

Taking advantage on the free Endless Space 2 weekend, I decided to download it in order to check if I'll buy the whole discounted Collection.

If you've played Endless Space 2, what did you think of it? Is it hard to play it if I'm a bit new on the 4X genre ? The closest I played on this genre was Civ V (I pretty much avoided Space 4X games until now because of their scopes - the whole Galaxy and/or the whole universe).

Is there some thread here with useful hints/tips about ES 2? And over the internet, can someone point me some useful links?

Thanks in advance !

If you've played Endless Space 2, what did you think of it? Is it hard to play it if I'm a bit new on the 4X genre ? The closest I played on this genre was Civ V (I pretty much avoided Space 4X games until now because of their scopes - the whole Galaxy and/or the whole universe).

I've only played it a little. It was immediately apparent that it wasn't my kind of Space 4X game - because it didn't have an emphasis on planets and infrastructure.

Seems to me that most 4X Space games tend to streamline that part of the strategy horizon - and I find that to be very detrimental to my interest in them.

MoO2 remains my favorite in the genre because it has a lot of depth and nuance overall - and particularly because of how it has that "Civ-like" approach to city/planet management.

For modern games, I think GalCiv 3 with all the DLCs might be the best - though it all depends on your preferences.

I'm in agreement with Dart. GC3 is the best of the bunch, although if they had put in proper turn based combat a lá MoO2 (and changed the tech tree and ship building to match) it would have been even better. At least to me.

Back
Top Bottom