Steam Awards 2017

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
WTF are these catagories ?!! How are we supposed respond to 'definitions' like these?

I have no idea what 'these' are!! :) Perhaps a link would be helpful.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

• The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award
    Games delight and entertain us, giving us much needed breaks from the sorrows and low points of our lives… and let’s be honest, for a lot of people it’s been a rough 2017. That is why the SASC has chosen to celebrate a game that doesn’t involve combat or conflict.
  • The “Choices Matter” Award
    Games are about agency, and this award is for the game that has it in spades. Maybe it’s because there are 31 ways you can breach into a villains lair. Perhaps there are dozens of potential partners for you to build a romantic future with. Or maybe you find yourself constantly saying “Where oh where should I plant those turnips”? In all three scenarios there is a common bond: the choice was always yours.
  • The “Haunts My Dreams” Award
    This award is slightly a misnomer, because this game doesn’t just haunt your dreams. It consumes your thoughts every waking moment of the day. This game doesn’t demand your time. You give it willingly.
  • The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award
    There are games that make you excited. There are games that make you happy. Then there are games so intense that they elicit a physical reaction. We’re talking weak knees. We’re talking sweaty palms. We’re talking fear-induced accidents. We’re talking your friends reminding you to breathe. We’re talking about mom’s spaghetti.
  • The “No Apologies” Award
    This award is for the game that you love unconditionally. Does it have some faults? Maybe. Do other people not understand your love for it? Sure. But make no mistake. There is no guilt here. Only pleasure.
  • The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award
    The Bard said it best. This game doesn't necessarily offer the biggest explosions… it offers something better. Potential. Potential to be a rampaging force of nature. Or not. Who knows. You're an agent of chaos and no one is going to tell you what to do.
  • The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award
    Let’s be honest: games can have some pretty ridiculous elements in them… from the stories that drive the action, to the items required to conquer obstacles, to even the protagonists themselves. This award is for the game that has a key component, which when described out of context, seems totally insane, but while playing the game doesn’t even make you bat an eye, because in the moment it makes total sense.
  • The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award
    The Vitruvian Man was Leonardo’s celebration of the ideal form. And in that spirit the SASC looks to celebrate the game with the most lovingly rendered character… be it human, alien, anthropomorphic cat people, or even a piece of produce.
  • The “Defies Description” Award
    This game is like… well actually it's more similar to…picture a combination of… ya know what, I can't describe it, just play it.
  • The “Labor of Love” Award
    This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the first unveiling of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years.
  • The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award
    The Academy wasn't clear enough in the awards description last year. Let's try this again. This award is for the “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” of video games.
  • The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award
    We’ve all been there. You get super excited for a game, you pre-order it, and you anxiously wait as it downloads. Then you finally play it. How do you feel now? If the answer is “Elated beyond words because even I, a conductor aboard the hype train, was blown away with how good this thing was” then you have found the perfect candidate for this award.
  • The “Write-In” Award
    You are a member of the Steam Award Selection Committee and your voice needs to be heard! What additional category needs to be added for the 2017 steam awards? Best Use Of A Lighthouse? Best Game To Play While Listening To The Hamilton Soundtrack? The only limit is your imagination (and a vague sense of decency)!

I'll have to think about my choises, but those are intresting categories no doubt. :lol:

Didn't care what categories are about. Picked games I like in my library, voted for them in a random category till I did them all. Started one of them, edited my review for another, got the "most important" steam badge. Oh I'm so coo!

I should have spent those 10 minutes in something else. Something that doesn't feel like a waste of time, even if is equally meaningless.

(...)
I should have spent those 10 minutes in something else. Something that doesn't feel like a waste of time, even if is equally meaningless.

Don't feel bad, Joxer! You're as human as the rest of us all :)

WTF are these catagories ?!! How are we supposed respond to 'definitions' like these?
It's called: fun silliness!

Choices Matter: Age of Decadence

No Apologies: The Last Remnant. Honestly, though, the whole hobby fits into this category.

Dogs of War and the potential to be a rampaging force of nature: Just Cause

Suspension of Disbelief: Sacrifice.

Defies Description: X3: Terran Conflict - the space tycoon shooter builder

Labor of Love: X: Rebirth (though No Man's Sky is also tempting)

Whooaa Dude 2.0: Nier Automata

Better Than Expected: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Non-violent: Sheesh, I don't know... What Remains of Edith Finch I guess.

I still need a few. Soul of Vitruvius celebrates the ideal form; the most lovingly rendered character. Depending on how I read that, it could be a Dead or Alive fighter or Minsc from Baldur's Gate. Hmmm….

I'll be impressed if more than 2 of my picks are actually nominated.

Aren't the rewards restricted to games that were released in 2017 or did they stretch it out to include the decade this year ?

It's called: fun silliness!

Choices Matter: Age of Decadence

No Apologies: The Last Remnant. Honestly, though, the whole hobby fits into this category.

Dogs of War and the potential to be a rampaging force of nature: Just Cause

Suspension of Disbelief: Sacrifice.

Defies Description: X3: Terran Conflict - the space tycoon shooter builder

Labor of Love: X: Rebirth (though No Man's Sky is also tempting)

Whooaa Dude 2.0: Nier Automata

Better Than Expected: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Non-violent: Sheesh, I don't know… What Remains of Edith Finch I guess.

I still need a few. Soul of Vitruvius celebrates the ideal form; the most lovingly rendered character. Depending on how I read that, it could be a Dead or Alive fighter or Minsc from Baldur's Gate. Hmmm….

I'll be impressed if more than 2 of my picks are actually nominated.

Aren't the rewards restricted to games that were released in 2017 or did they stretch it out to include the decade this year ?

Actually, Steam said nothing about restrictions. I believe you can choose whatever game you wanna.

Anything with a store page on Steam, so you can pick a DLC item or even unreleased games if you want but not Nethack. Though you could pick it indirectly via Vulture for Nethack.

If I were allowed to pick anything, Haunts My Dreams would go to the classic Empire game.

Ack empire. I remember playing it while in grad school for 3 years. Funny thing is I tried to play it last year and couldn't figure out any of the commands. Loved those B's and C's and a few F's.

Anything with a store page on Steam, so you can pick a DLC item or even unreleased games if you want but not Nethack. Though you could pick it indirectly via Vulture for Nethack.

If I were allowed to pick anything, Haunts My Dreams would go to the classic Empire game.

Scam of the Avatar should win all the awards!
Its a masterpeic, an innovative game changer, a pioneer in its field, truly the RPG of a lifetime.. At least thats what their forums say.

My picks (I confess sometimes I just didn't know what the category meant, even after reading its description :p ):

• The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award -> Stardew Valley
  • The “Choices Matter” Award -> Life is Strange
  • The “Haunts My Dreams” Award -> DARK SOULS™ III
  • The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award -> RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard
  • The “No Apologies” Award -> Sid Meier's Civilization® V
  • The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award -> Fallout 4
  • The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award -> Metro: Last Light Redux
  • The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award -> Armello
  • The “Defies Description” Award -> Her Story
  • The “Labor of Love” Award -> Crusader Kings II
  • The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award -> Fallout: New Vegas
  • The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award -> Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • The "Write-In" Award -> The “Best Ballistics” Award ->Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

The “Labor of Love” Award
This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the first unveiling of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years.

=
WARFRAME

The web page says, "Find a game to nominate in this category:" How do I actually pick the game? Or do we have to wait until December?

Here are mine.

The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award

Your nomination:
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

The “Choices Matter” Award
Your nomination:
FTL: Faster Than Light

The “Haunts My Dreams” Award
Your nomination:
Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI

The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award
Your nomination:
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter

The “No Apologies” Award
Your nomination:
DEAD RISING®

The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award
Your nomination:
Road Redemption

The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award
Your nomination:
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award
Your nomination:
Ghost of a Tale

The “Defies Description” Award
Your nomination:
Factorio

The “Labor of Love” Award
Your nomination:
RimWorld

The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award
Your nomination:
XCOM® 2

The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award
Your nomination:
Divinity: Original Sin 2

The “Goose Squashing Simulator” Award

Your nomination:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

I wasn't able to answer all the categories. It would be easier if I could select console games too.

Best ballistics needs to go to: Scorched Earth! But I guess that's not on Steam...

Ooooh, Scorched Earth :). Fond memories...

Back
Top Bottom