Fairy Tail - Review @ Gameffine

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gameffine reviewed the J-RPG Fairy Tail:

Fairy Tail Review (PS4) :: Nostalgia That Could Use A Bit of Polish

To this very day, Fairy Tail remains one of the most beloved serialized-manga franchises alongside its anime adaptation running over a decade. I still remember the early 2010 days when it was aired for the first time on Animax-Asia. Episodes premiered in accordance with Japanese timeslots- airing at an inconvenient slot of 2 to 3 AM on Sundays. Despite the severe odds of my parents catching me in the act, I would sneak in for the premiere, grabbing a handful of midnight snacks.

[...]

Verdict:

Fairy Tail's narrative alone is enough for you to glide through its campaign- thanks to the seamless cutscenes and character stories that are fun for the most part. It never fails to deliver comedic instances even in moments of tedium. Fans of the series can pick this one up for the story alone.

With improved visuals and a refined performance on the PS4, Fairy Tail has the potential to be on par with CyberConnect 2's Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. Koei Temco and Gust have announced that they will be adding a photo mode via a free update on August 6. The dev team has also announced that they will be addressing some of the issues we mentioned via a day 1 patch.

Synopsis:

Fairy Tail is a turn-based action-RPG based on the long-running manga series developed by Gust and published by Koei Temco America. Originally slated for a March 2020 release, it was delayed to July 31st. It is being released for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows.

Pros:

• Faithful adaptation of the source material
  • Well-directed cutscenes
  • Tons of customization options and skins to unlock
Cons:

• Visuals on the base PS4 suffer from lackluster anti-aliasing and low-resolution textures
  • Inconsistent framerates
  • Tedious side quests
Score: 7.5/10
More information.

PS4 version clearly suffers from poor coding then. I wonder if the programmer was a cheap new hire, they decided to pay a low salary to and hoped for better results?
Where did their veteran, main programmer run to?

What are you asking?
It's Koei Tecmo game. The last time you saw a great game from them was when?

Back
Top Bottom