Wasteland 3 - Release Day - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 3 - Release Day

Default Wasteland 3 - Release Day

August 30th, 2020, 14:53
I have way above those specs, and I use loading times to browse news sites, cook and such, and I'm not even trying to be funny, it's the actual truth. It's genious though, first actually efficient way to prevent player save-scumming to get the most out of every situation - make infinite loading times, and players will always be happy with accepting whatever happened in the game rather than going back to a previous save and having to load again.

InXile spearheading the RPG industry.

Nereida

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 31st, 2020, 11:19
I have at least a dozen hours sunk into the game now. Some of my thoughts:

1) I'm not noticing any real performance issues, which seems to put me in the minority. The game runs great on my PC, which to be fair is a nice gaming rig with a fast SSD and a GeForce RTX 2080. Speccy *does* show that the game makes my CPU run a bit "hot" … but I haven't noticed any stuttering or very long load times. Hopefully that gets patched soon.

2) The game has a God-President Reagan speak to you through a Max Headroom inspired… gah, I mean. Any game that does this is automatically put at the top of my list, bugs be damned.

3) Reminds me a lot of a Wasteland 2 that was modified to work better on consoles, which is fine. Please bring more good turn-based RPGs to the masses. Consoles are a way to reach a larger audience so have at it.

4) The game is *fun* - it reminds me a little of Pathfinder: Kingmaker at release. Audacious, buggy, and almost certainly will get better with a few years like many fine wines. I don't have a ton of post-apocalyptic turn-based roleplaying games to choose from, and this one doesn't disappoint despite that.

FurtiveNyctophile

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 31st, 2020, 13:23
I got the game yesterday and played for about 3 or 4 hours so very early impressions.

To me this game is a much improved wasteland 2. Everything I couldn't stand in wasteland 2 such as multiple inventories and percentage skill checks are gone.

Combat is also much improved with a cover system. The story doesn't seem anything particularly special yet but the gameplay seems fun to me.

I haven't run into any bugs yet so that's a positive. Also the only slow thing for me is the loading time but unless you save scum you shouldn't be seeing loading screens too much.

All in all very positive start.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 31st, 2020, 13:31
I also have to say, regarding multiplayer:

I'm just not the target audience. I get that there's an audience for that, and that's cool. I'm the boring Gen-X audience taking care of both my parents *and* children in my early 40's, my fond remembrances were turn-based D&D style games. My basic opinion is go for multiplayer, if it gets you more money to develop games.

Me, I'm just that 40something audience that has the time and money to, truthfully, appreciate games in a different way than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. I'm just glad this stuff is still being made, here, easily take my $70 USD for the Deluxe Version on Steam. Keep doing what you're doing. Make multiplayer better for those who appreciate it; nowadays my "multiplayer" (being able to actually interact with other adults) is a dinner date or a Zoom call without kids. I just don't have the time or money to support multiplayer in games I don't care about, like Baldur's Gate 3 or Wasteland 3 but I'm cool with the fact that the feature is there - like the fact it works well on consoles - if it brings more energy in general to the turn based roleplaying table.

FurtiveNyctophile

Watcher

August 31st, 2020, 14:21
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I haven't run into any bugs yet so that's a positive. Also the only slow thing for me is the loading time
SSD or HDD?

Originally Posted by FurtiveNyctophile View Post
I also have to say, regarding multiplayer:

[]
Well said. I fully agree (except for the Deluxe Version thing).
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Crusader Kings III

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

August 31st, 2020, 15:41
I'm having fun with the game. Some bugs are and symptoms of consolization are very frustrating to deal with, like the inability to manage my party freely because it bugs, or the fact that there's only 1 autosave slot, and to add to the mock, it's called Autosave1, as if they actually intended to add different autosave slots but just released the game without finishing it.

But to be fair, the gameplay is fun, the story is average I'd say, but I'm fine with that. It's about an alternate America, which as an European, doesn't hit any buttons for me to start with, so I'm just playing it to make my decisions and dispatch justice in the way I find most appropriate.

To give it a bit more of praise, the combat is actually challenging and fun in the highest difficulty since the beginning, and it still is when my party is around level 15 now. This deserves praises, because most RPGs become more and more trivial the further you go into the game, and Wasteland 3 poses a rare case of such game that is keeping things interesting to me all through the game, combat-wise.

There are nearly no trash fights, which help to keep the momentum and the interest in every encounter, and all in all, it's being pretty fun to build a balanced party that can tackle any challenges and at the same time, not miss any door, trap, lock, or piece of lore.

This would honestly be a 9/10 game if it had released bug-free and consolization-free, but it still racks an easy 8/10 in my book, in its current state. If I had known, I'd have waited for it to be patched thoroughly before playing it, to enjoy it truly and fully, and that's my only regret about Wasteland 3 so far.

Nereida

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

August 31st, 2020, 18:14
Things really started to click for me when I left Colorado Springs. I found the Bizarre and everything in it to be a lot of fun.

The game is definitely buggy. No performance issues on Xbox. I've had two crashes, twice where everything went dark except the healthbar tooltips and such, and twice when I set off alarms and the game couldn't seem to handle it (once it caused my pets to attack my turret, which in turn aggroed Rosie the landlord, and once when three of my characters got caught in a permanent 0AP frozen state). So six reboots, which isn't great, and a bunch of minor annoyances. For me, this is buggier than Wasteland 2 ever was.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 31st, 2020, 19:04
I've only spent a little time with the game and like it thus far. The only minor ding on it from me is long load times.

I also continue to enjoy Game Pass - very inexpensive way to check out games, like this one.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 3 - Release Day