Hogwart's Legacy - Announced - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hogwart's Legacy - Announced

Default Hogwart's Legacy - Announced

September 17th, 2020, 06:36
PC Gamer reports that Hogwart's Legacy will be coming next year.

loading…


Avalanche's long-rumored Harry Potter RPG was officially revealed today during Sony's PlayStation 5 showcase as Hogwart's Legacy, a tale of the famed magic school set in the 1800s.

Naturally, given that time frame, you won't play as Harry Potter, but as an as-yet-unnamed student "who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart."

[…]
More information.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,015
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 06:42
Me like. Hopefully it's not just another Sony console exclusive.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#2

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 23,790
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 07:28
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Me like. Hopefully it's not just another Sony console exclusive.
According to the game's website, it's not: PC, Xbox and Playstation (both current and next gen for the consoles).
Avantre is online now

Avantre

Avantre's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 10:05
I like it too, think that the Harry Potter world has lots to offer in a less defined era and time frame. On PC of course
basharran is offline

basharran

basharran's Avatar
Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

#4

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 11:49
Absolutely no interest in Harry Potter but the IP works so well for RPGs. The Gameboy RPGs are hidden gems on those systems.
In light of Rowling drama I'm looking forward to watching the games media tying themselves in knots trying to deal with this, especially if the game is good!
shamroxor is offline

shamroxor

shamroxor's Avatar
Watcher

#5

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 12:05
Originally Posted by shamroxor View Post
Absolutely no interest in Harry Potter but the IP works so well for RPGs. The Gameboy RPGs are hidden gems on those systems.
In light of Rowling drama I'm looking forward to watching the games media tying themselves in knots trying to deal with this, especially if the game is good!
RPG.net is handing out bans to anyone who even mentions JK Rowling in any context besides her being Satan incarnate. How much is she even involved in this game?
--
Check out Himeko Sutori, the strategy RPG where you command an army of up to 200 unique heroes
Nathaniel3W is offline

Nathaniel3W

Nathaniel3W's Avatar
Himeko Sutori Developer

#6

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 12:17
Originally Posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
RPG.net is handing out bans to anyone who even mentions JK Rowling in any context besides her being Satan incarnate. How much is she even involved in this game?
It's her Ip so I'm sure she is heavily involved with it's development.

Anyway I find the whole Twitter/fan-base revolt hilarious.

Link - https://meaww.com/hogwarts-legacy-wa…ansphobic-terf
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#7

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 23,790
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 12:49
Originally Posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
How much is she even involved in this game?
I'd bet as much as with all the other games; she's got people who look over them, make sure they don't mess up the universe then collect the royalties!
shamroxor is offline

shamroxor

shamroxor's Avatar
Watcher

#8

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 12:56
I like the look of this. I'm not a Harry Potter fanatic but it would be a fun setting for an RPG.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Basingstoke UK
Posts: 1,897
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 13:15
Persoanly I've been wating for such game for a very long time. Especailly after the Order of Phoenix game came out long time ago. The only thing that I wish for is for them to not implement motion sensors into casting spells ( at least not in VR version )
samlarson is offline

samlarson

Traveler

#10

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 15:14
I've no interest at all in Harry Plopper, but I do hope poor old Rowling's reputation can be restored, once we get past this hysterical phase where people can't tell the difference between the actual bigots, and those who merely don't conform perfectly to their ideology.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#11

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9,309
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 19:14
I have no particular interest in Harry Potter… but beyond that, I have no real idea what kind of game this will be in watching that trailer. Everyone here seems to be assuming it's an RPG… did I miss something? This could be an RPG… or it could be an action game on rails, or a dating/school sim - or just an adventure game.

Anyway, if it turns out to be a decently deep RPG, I'll be interested but for me, that trailer and the fact it is for such a massive IP and that it is being touted as a launch title for the PS5, makes me think it will be a watered-down, cater-to-everyone game that isn't likely to bring much role-playing to the table.

But happy to be proven wrong.
SSIGuy is offline

SSIGuy

SSIGuy's Avatar
An Islander Returned

#12

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: A Misty Island
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 19:40
Originally Posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
RPG.net is handing out bans to anyone who even mentions JK Rowling in any context besides her being Satan incarnate. How much is she even involved in this game?
Cancel culture at it's best…don't say anything that might upset someone.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#13

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,274
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 20:41
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Cancel culture at it's best…don't say anything that might upset someone.
You say that but I bet in cases like this, the more squawking there is the more sales it will mean for the game. Not to mention all the butthurt on the other side of the argument (including on this site) who might buy the game just to spite their arch-enemies.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal+DLC | Stygian | Realms Beyond
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG+DLC | Black Geyser | Chernobylite | King's Bounty 2
screeg is offline

screeg

screeg's Avatar
floating head
RPGWatch Donor

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,174
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 23:07
Rowling was "not [directly] involved".

Originally Posted by Kotaku
Warner Brothers’ FAQ reads that “J.K. Rowling was not involved in the creation of the game, however, her extraordinary body of writing is the foundation of all projects in the Wizarding World. This is not a new story from J.K. Rowling.” (An FAQ on Warner Brothers’ support site alters this wording to “not directly involved,” though both have identical explanations of the scope of Rowling’s participation.)
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.
Hexprone is offline

Hexprone

Hexprone's Avatar
Thou hast lost an eighth!

#15

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2020, 23:09
It's hilarious how they have to rewrite that in the FAQ.

Also yep its Kotau I was sure they would cover that topic.

Psst..she still gets paid its her IP.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#16

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 23,790
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

September 18th, 2020, 10:14
Not a fan of Rowling, though the movies were tolerable. I found her writing sourcing cheap village gossip, useless literature. Still, she made her own fortune and if I had that much money, I would do exactly like her: trolling the stupid idiot LBGT wretches, who are a minority and hoping & imagining they are anything else.
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.
mercy is offline

mercy

mercy's Avatar
SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,575
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

September 18th, 2020, 10:31
Have a day off, "mercy".

The point is that Rowling is not the sort of bigoted twat you admire.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#18

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9,309
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)

Default 

September 18th, 2020, 14:57
I never read nor was ever interested to read the Harry Potter books, and don't like the author's very lefty politics, but I do have sympathy for her in regards of how she has been turned into a villain by the extreme left now. Its ridiculous. And I do believe people should have the freedom to disagree with the far left without being demonized or called The Devil for it.

Anyway, I would much rather re-read the amazing Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin which I think this series ripped off in terms of the school of wizardry plot/idea, from what I know about its basic plot line, than read the Harry Potter books. Obviously Rowling also ripped off - or a kinder way to put it is "she got inspiration from" - other classic fantasy like Tolkien's books and others as well.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#19

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

September 18th, 2020, 15:56
Well I just read that Kotaku article and all it's comments still hilarious.

Hope Kotaku is ready for the Libel lawsuit from J.K. Rowling.
--
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#20

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 23,790
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hogwart's Legacy - Announced
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:02.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch