Divinity DivDiv

Divine Divinity and Other games

dteowner

Shoegazer
So I've managed a couple restarts now and I'm starting to get a feel for things, although my last character got trounced by an orc drummer that didn't attack me for a long time and then killed me in 2 quick slashes.

I've pretty well cleared the opening town, but I haven't had much luck outside the gate. My best tactic has been to drag the orcs back to Superman and let him kill them in one blow. Costs me a lot of XP, but I seem to do better on that whole "survival" thing.

So then, a couple questions. First off, anyone know of a good walkthru? I don't intend to use it just yet, but it makes a nice security blanket. Second, what's a good build for a melee type? There's almost too many choices for a newbie. My last char, Biki Nibayb (y'all shamed me into coming up with something better than Ahab and Ishmael) picked up ID Item and then sword specialization and seemed hopelessly outclassed by mere orcs. I got on the merchant's good side and traded for the best armor and weapons I could afford, so I don't think my problems stemmed from lousy equipment.

Oh, one other thing--is there supposed to be a death screen? After I got killed, the game just sat there. I thought maybe I was going to resurrect ala DS2, but no such luck. I've patched up to the latest version available at Larian.

It's been too long since I've played so I can't give advice on a build but after you die I think it just waits for you to reload...

I remember picking up a bow or something to 'kite' the orcs around town until I was strong enough to take them on in melee.

Those orc drummers are major paindealers--and unlike rocknroll group drummers, they never seem to die...
This is the walk-thru I used. I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

Happy Dwarven Ale swilling ;)

I found weapon poisoning invaluable. There are two types (it's been a while) - The Fighter skill "Poison Damage" is pathetic and adds a couple of damage points but the Way of the Survivor skill "Poison Weapon" allows you to manually apply the poison you make from the Alchemy skill to your weapon for some awesome damage that really stops Orcs.

That means you have to develop multiple skills (Alchemy and Poison Weapon) and actually find, make the poison and apply it to your weapon but I loved all that.

Val's guide at RPGDot rocks:
http://www.locusinn.com/index.php?hsaction=10062&game=divinity&l1=Walkthrough&infoID=125

The game actually is easy for a warrior/mage build. The ice/freeze magic is actually overpowered, but VERY helpful for holding enemies while you finish them off!! :)

Also, I think the game is a bit more challenging in the beginning than most action-RPG types. The Orcs at the beginning are just plain tough, whatever your build. Don't even try the Troll-cave! :evilgrin:

You mean the one where you enter and DIE!! :) I remember that one well!!!!

I've made a couple of restarts, and the last time my warrior (male for the better starting skills than his female counter part) had a blast throught most of the main map. Skills I picked (as per Val's indeed excellent guide) were Sword expertise, Stun, Augment Damage, Wisdom (for the extre XP), Enchant Weapon and Lockpicks, with a later pick Spiritual Damage.

I used Game Banshee's walkthrough for Divine Divinity. Their walkthroughs are almost always top notch and include maps.

They are both good, but most of us are a little biased towards our former colleague at the Dot!! :)

Don´t forget Mo´s Divinity site.

Look here, there are several sticky threads with lots of info.

Don´t forget Mo´s Divinity site.

Thanks for the attempt at advertising, Gorath, but PlanetDivinity is no more :) . The Larian Studios DivDiv forums and the detailed PDF guide at Myrthos' The Locus Inn are indeed the best resources for everything you ever wanted to know about Divinity.

If you manage to have enough mana with an attack spell that does decent damage just clear all of the other orcs away from a drummer, then spam the drummer to death with the spell IF you have enough mana pots, o.w. try a freeze spell, spam, freeze, etc. or just freeze them whack away with a melee weapon or some sort of bow. (For mana, see below, but be aware that it IS a sort of spoilerish type of thing, although easily found accidentally...)

A sort of SPOILER so either don't read further or just don't use it:
When asked how many of something in a pile that you would like to drop enter a negative number. (Yes they made a n00b mistake that lasts until this day!)

Thanks, everyone. I'll probably give it another restart and see if I can be a little smarter about development this time.

Don't forget the famous words I lived by when I played it. If you can't beat him atm RUN LIKE HELL!! ;)

Yeah CM, but your problem has always been one of direction!! You usually run into trouble, not away from it!! :)

:cm: Adds a little note to the list for today.

Back
Top Bottom