The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

New tune up from Makaras Pen. It's still got a lot of shoegaze elements, but it rocks out pretty well, too. Doug and the crew are really starting to find their groove. Enjoy!

"Going Deeper" by Makaras Pen

Helen Merrill with Clifford Brown (1954)

One of my favourite vocal jazz albums. Pity Merrill somewhat never made it bigger, I really love her delivery on this one.
Arranged by young Quincy Jones, btw.

Nice stuff - I'm not a vocal fan, but it is nice to hear great work like this. Also too bad Clifford Brown never reached his potential, gone too young, as always ...

Still listening to the George Adams / Don Pullen stuff, but listening more and more to another classic ... Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun. My older son said that he is supposed to be the one introducing music that makes the family uncomfortable ...

... Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun. My older son said that he is supposed to be the one introducing music that makes the family uncomfortable ...

Yeah, Machine Gun is a great soundtrack for Sunday family dinner ... if you´re serving vindaloo with habanero salad :).
I really like how relentless and full of life it is, while maintaining just about perfect flow throughout. What makes it really, really great, imo, is the healthy dose of humor contained.
It´s a blast and Brotzmann seriously BLOWS.

As for me, I´m recently enjoying quite a bit Sven Libaek´s soundtrack to Ron & Val´s Inner Space which was an australian documentary series about sea.
Relaxing and atmospheric jazz aquatic.

Dark World

Music for Eels

Plus, Lubomyr Melnyk´s KMH from 79 which is, as its cover suggests, piano music in a continuous mode, and it´s very correct at that.

Section V

Today, I give you a band that's turned on their history, and that's a real shame. Their new stuff mostly blows, but the debut was well and truly sweet. Tough to find clips, though.

"Juniper Hill" by The Autumns

edit- well lookie what I found--full song streams!
here

Last edited:
How about another helping of bombastic gazer. These guys started as Airiel Love Feed and took on a more industrial tone when they changed name. Enjoy.

"Doomsville" by Rockethouse

Since I bought the "special edition" of The Corrs "In Blue", I have all of their songs of the CD in my head, constantly. :greengrin:

And I don't even regret it. :greengrin:

Was feverishly ripping tunes from my collection of "Just Can't Get Enough" cds and flashed back to some real sweet tunes. All you whippersnappers need not apply, these are for the old farts. ;)

"They Don't Know" by Tracy Ullman
"I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow (an example of truly awful fake playing)
"Mirror Mirror (Mon Amour)" by Dollar (wow, that's a horrible video)
"The Unguarded Moment" by The Church (could have an entry in DeepO's deep voice quest)
"Numbers with Wings" by The Bongos (this vid was up for awards???)
"Girls" by Dwight Twilley

I actually saw Bow Wow Wow opening for the Police during the 'Ghost in the Machine' tour ... imagine 'I want candy' repeated for ~45 minutes ...

Anyone who liked Fleetwood Mac should check their new touring calendar.

There are some more concerts announced for later this year.

Their albums are currently being remastered, and there'll be a new compilations album.

I think Fleetwood Mac tour, and possible resurgence is a good thing. Dont get me wrong, I think if I was to hear "Dont Stop" one more time I would most likely feel like hurling. Why would I support Fleetwood Mac 2009 then?

The same reason I support all classic rock - because in my opinion it's the lesser of the two evils. I may not like it anymore, but I think it's far preferable to the music produced for children today.

Any chance that a newer generation has to turn on to classic rock, as much as something like "rock and roll hoochie koo" draws the stomach acid up to the back of my very throat... it's far preferable to the knuckle-dragging quasi-ghetto bullshit that's rammed down their throat at every possible turn. I will clench my teeth and stomach "Stairway to Heaven" for an eternity if it will prevent my child, or someone else's, from wearing their pants around their thighs and calling each other "nigga".

Rock on, Mick Jagger, rock on!

... you sound like someone who would support jumpsuit flabby Elvis and Bobby Vinton in Vegas rather than have their kids listen to stuff you needed to take drugs to not realize was pretentious indulgent crap, like Zepplin and Pink Floyd and much other so-called 'classic' rock ... ;)

Oh I have no problem admitting it, I'm turning into an old fogey in some respects.

I hope that wasnt a swipe at "the King" in your comments, by the way ='.'=

Y'mean when he was a fat, drugged has-been twenty years past anything worth listening to? Naw

Listened to some new mashups lately and by far my favourite was a very recent one made by DJ Schmolli.
It´s a mix of Iron Maiden with Monkees and it´s completely hilarious:

The Trooper Believer

On a tad more serious note, I´m really enjoying Philip Glass´ Akhnaten (1984) which is as good as modern opera gets.
Captivating atmosphere and overfilled with tension.

Act Ii- Scene 2- Akhnaten And Nefertiti

Also, Planxty, more precisely, their debut from 1973.
Some of the best celtic folk music ever recorded.

Follow Me Up to Carlow

Here they´re performing one song from the album live:
The Blacksmith

I asked them to put up "Broken Pieces". They put up "Broken Pieces". Happy me. Cool drumming abounds.

"Broken Pieces" by New Ghosts

I may currently not be listening to all of them at the same time, but here is where I was over the weekend... one of my favorite bands was there, too, AND I ACTUALLY GOT TO SEE THEM AFTER 23 YEARS OF TELE-DEVOTION... :sing::party2::celebrate::wow::party::juggle:

So this was your first Laibach concert, or did you actually get to meet them?

Back
Top Bottom