Game of Thrones - Preview, Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
VGI has a preview of the combat in Game of Thrones, with the article heavily built around screens of the classes. It looks like this piece was based off the recently released combat video but if you haven't watched that, this might be worth a read:
Sellsword
This is the assassin class, mixing medium armour with swords (single handed), hammers and daggers.
Water Dancer
This class features the style of Braavosi sword fighting (Arya's 'dancing teacher') and will dance around their opponents in light armour while using swords, blunt projectiles and daggers.
Over at Joystiq are comments from George R. R. Martin on translating a book into a game:
"The entire game was written by Cyanide, including the plot and character dialogue. But I did have creative input at many points during the process," Martin told Joystiq. When he met with members of Cyanide to review the game's design document, he made sure that the experience wouldn't break canon. "What they're doing is a parallel story to some of the early events in Ice and Fire, so my primary concern was that nothing in the game altered the events in the books."
This is meant to be as much of a benefit to the player as it is to the writer. In order to be canonical, gamers would be forced onto a narrative rail so as not to break anything Martin has built in the longstanding series. "That would certainly make a game less fun," Martin admits. "Players need to feel like their decisions matter." The similar can be said for writers, whose creativity can stem from the ability to remain independent of the actions of others. "Games can be a really fun way to interact with a literary world, but I can't imagine any writer wants to then be shackled to events or decisions made in the game."
More information.

Is it just me or does it seem a bit strange to have two protagonist characters to choose from?

I could accept playing a single pre-defined character, or a more customizable character with numerous background options.

However, two protagonists strikes me as though perhaps they had initially intended more and had to cut them due to budget or time constraints.

A sellsword is an assassin class? What book have they read, actually? From reading the books, it’s obvious that a sellsword is just another word for a “mercenary”.

Anyhow, despite being a fan of the books, I’ve no interest in that game. I dislike being told who my character is and what his personality is. It feels way too Hack’n slash for my taste.

Is it just me or does it seem a bit strange to have two protagonist characters to choose from?

I could accept playing a single pre-defined character, or a more customizable character with numerous background options.

However, two protagonists strikes me as though perhaps they had initially intended more and had to cut them due to budget or time constraints.

My understanding is the way that it works, is that you play each character independently as interlocking individual stories that I assume eventually come together. The design goal there would apparently be to create the multi-perspective story embodied in the books to a much lesser degree.

Each character has 3 or 4 skill trees, so theoretically you could replay with different builds for both characters for different experience. But by controlling the origin, goals, and backstory of each character, it theoretically allows a much stronger story to be built than if story had to be based on insert random hero x.

I use theoretically alot as, unlike say with somebody like Bioware, I have nothing really to judge cyanide on their ability to successfully implement such a story. But I have to say I am hopefully optimistic unlike most apparently.

Anyhow, despite being a fan of the books, I’ve no interest in that game. I dislike being told who my character is and what his personality is. It feels way too Hack’n slash for my taste.

So you dislike Mass Effect then? Because that pretty much describes that game (and please lets not pretend that the canned superficial duality of renegade/good guy point stuff really changes that). I am no huge fan of ME myself but at least this one seems to offer the potential for more character skill customization and who knows maybe they can pull off the type of strong narrative that ME provides.

So you dislike Mass Effect then?

Yep.

Yes, when I play a rpg, I prefer games that are not mere interactive movies. I kinda lost hope in Bioware following Dragon Age 1 and its dumbed down combat, character creations etc.

isn't a mercenary technically an assassin? most assassin's are issued contracts, like mercs, to kill people. the only really difference is there methods in doing so. but considering the bastardazation of most "classes" its not that big of a deal i think. while i agree a merc is often though of as a warrior not a steath character, if think about a merc as not an army but an individual then it becomes much more probable that said merc will have to employ steath and subterfuge to accomplish their contracts.

My understanding is the way that it works, is that you play each character independently as interlocking individual stories that I assume eventually come together. The design goal there would apparently be to create the multi-perspective story embodied in the books to a much lesser degree.

Each character has 3 or 4 skill trees, so theoretically you could replay with different builds for both characters for different experience. But by controlling the origin, goals, and backstory of each character, it theoretically allows a much stronger story to be built than if story had to be based on insert random hero x.

Sounds interesting, and I'll probably end up buying this one anyways. But don't you get the sense that they started off with, say three or more options and then had to whittle it down? Two seems like such an odd number to go with.

isn't a mercenary technically an assassin? most assassin's are issued contracts, like mercs, to kill people. the only really difference is there methods in doing so. but considering the bastardazation of most "classes" its not that big of a deal i think. while i agree a merc is often though of as a warrior not a steath character, if think about a merc as not an army but an individual then it becomes much more probable that said merc will have to employ steath and subterfuge to accomplish their contracts.

In the GOT context, the word "sellsword" usually describe whole companies. The main sellsword of the first few books is Bronn and he is far from being your "hide in the dark" assassin. Sellsword fight for money whereas most men in the armies of GOT who fight for the lords they are sworn to.

I have played several games that have had 2 or more separate protagonists like this game but this is the first I have seen in years.

vanedor: You should know that this game is a RTw/P game and not a Hack&Slash game.

Back
Top Bottom