Antharion - Update #11, Previews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A short update on Kickstarter for Antharion is available, which is mainly just linking to a few previews (IndieGraph, RPS, IndieGames and I-Luv-Games).
Antharion could just reach its goal having 10K in pledges out of a 15K goal and 5 days to go.
More information.

Really want this one to make it, so close too.

OK, backed at $15. Seems like it should be good old-school fun.

Just came out of the shadows to pledge and join

I have lurked on this site daily for four years or more. I finally just registered for both this site and kickstarter to (a) say that I pledged $15 for Antharion, as it looks fun and I like its style and (b) to encourage everyone else to do the same. My view is that little indie projects like this need our support way more than the Project Eternities of the world. I still can't believe how much that one raised... a lot of that could have gone to these indie folks. Anyway, it's nice to feel I'm now a card carrying member of the Watch...

Welcome to the nuthouse, Jaguar. I'll go at least look at this one again, no promises.

Well said Jaguar! Support indies! They will keep RPG alive, diverse and fresh when the AAA studios loose interest again. And some of these new guys may be the Obsidian of tomorrow - give them a chance if you think they can deliver a game you may want to play.

Very promising title. More pledge please. Only 4 days left.

I'm not sure how to push this one anymore....I really want it to succeed.

The creator is just so earnest in the video, the gameplay looks like Avernum, or Geneforge, or the old Gold Box games, the creator has backed a bunch of other projects himself... it will be a shame if he doesn't make it. if he doesn't make the goal, I hope he'll make the game anyway, but his stretch goals seem cool and a shame to miss out on. I hope there's a "hard" mode, though - the heroes seemed to be annihilating the monsters in the trailer.

While I would love for this Kickstarter to go through, being a backer and all, I'm beginning to have serious doubts it will. Only a few days left and still about a third of the pledges short. I think they've gotten all there's to get from the existing backers, many have upped their pledges, but I think that has reached its limit (for quite some time now) and to get more money they would need to get new backers (and fast!).

To get new backers, there would need to be more activity on the update front from the devs. A lot more. This is the home stretch, there ought to be pics (preferably videos) and new info coming that would entice new backers to jump in, but sadly, the updates have been quite sparse lately, both in frequency and in content. Just saying we're working hard isn't going to convince those not already convinced. A new video with new content showing off that hard work would have been in order, IMHO.

Oh well, what do I know. Other than, a KS drive is hard work and the last days of it should have the devs on overdrive. A bit disappointed by the lack of content-rich updates.

I looked at it again, and I guess I'm not seeing the allure that some of you are. I'm not really into funding the simple indie games like Vogel makes. A game that looks like it was done by one or two people, with graphics from the mid-nineties just isn't what I want to invest in. I might register and play such a game, but I'm not going to pre-support them.

P.S. I'm not knocking that you guys want these types of games. There are a lot of Jeff Vogel fans and I used to play his games and still buy them occasionally.

You're right, Lurking Grue, things are looking desperate for our hydroencephalic heroes! (Although tons of projects do suddenly come through in the last two days) Still, I'm certain the game will be finished, Kickstarter or not. They already have a working engine and a ton of graphics. I think they'll release it with less polish, no fancy musical score, etc.

I looked at it again, and I guess I'm not seeing the allure that some of you are. I'm not really into funding the simple indie games like Vogel makes. A game that looks like it was done by one or two people, with graphics from the mid-nineties just isn't what I want to invest in. I might register and play such a game, but I'm not going to pre-support them.

P.S. I'm not knocking that you guys want these types of games. There are a lot of Jeff Vogel fans and I used to play his games and still buy them occasionally.

I certainly understand, one should only fund what one feels is worth funding. Still kinda sad though, don't you think? It's not as if these guys are asking for a million...

I gave it another view as well. The character art style and lack of movement animation is a turn off for me. I'm a huge Vogel fan but I cannot stomach his first or second Avernum series because of the lack of non-combat movement animations, just like Antharion. I cant enjoy the exploration aspect without it. It just seems very lazy to me and kills immersion. While I don't like Antharion's South Park inspired giant headed art style I can get over it. However, i do worry the art style will actually impede tactics do to the amount of real estate taken up by each avatar.

Yep, I love the turn based battle idea. It's just not enough of a lure to get me to pledge. I will buy the game if it becomes shareware/digital release.

I gave it another view as well. The character art style and lack of movement animation is a turn off for me. I'm a huge Vogel fan but I cannot stomach his first or second Avernum series because of the lack of non-combat movement animations, just like Antharion. I cant enjoy the exploration aspect without it. It just seems very lazy to me and kills immersion. While I don't like Antharion's South Park inspired giant headed art style I can get over it. However, i do worry the art style will actually impede tactics do to the amount of real estate taken up by each avatar.

I thought that about Avernum 1 at first as well. I bought all Jeff's games (Avernums, Geneforges, Nethergate) when he had a "sale" for like $125, only to see them appear on digital download sites like 6 months later for 90% less (oh well). I had purchased and finished the first Geneforge before, so I thought I knew what to expect. When I saw the Avernum avatars moving in a static way across the background, I thought I had made a big mistake... but I ended up really liking it in the end. The art style is what draws me to this game, actually...
Still, I can especially understand not wanting to pre-order something you aren't sure about. It does seem like he will finish it regardless. Ironically, perhaps showing too much detail in a kickstarter means folks won't fund you, as the sense is you will finish anyway...

Aren't these graphics better than KotC, and that was well loved, right?

If this is made available even in its current state I'd probably play it. I can deal with the graphics, its more about the animations. After all the environments and effects looks good. The gameplay looks very good. As far as Avernum, I tried #4 and only played it for a few minutes before switching back to Geneforge. Had I played longer perhaps I would have adjusted, but it would *always* bother me. I never played Knights of the Chalice but surely these graphics top those easily.

Back
Top Bottom