Fallout 3 - Gone Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one of the more recent video previews, I see no problems with the animation. In fact, it looks quite good if you ask me.

We're not talking about the official videos - the animations in there are decent, but I wouldn't call them good.

I'm not going to link to any piracy-produced videos but some googling should turn them up. Some of the idle and conversation animations are just laughable*, some of the creatures attacks are silly, and skating seems to be in full mode, especially when working in 3rd person (the PC animation is bad)

* It looks like they wanted to improve dialogue from people just staring you right in the face blankly to people seeming slightly more alive, but pretty much all of the animating in that department is bad. At the start of conversation people will generally repeat the action they were in when you started talking to them, but for almost every action this is a one-two second loop...and it looks bad. Someone circle-mopping while talking and then continuing to mop while waiting for you to answer, someone patting the ashes from his cigarette while talking to you and then continuing to do so every second while waiting for you to answer and - the worst one I've seen - a BoS paladin raising and lowering his shoulder every second for the entire duration of dialogue. It looked like he was going apoplectic or something.

Also, while I deem it unlikely, maybe that build these unofficial videos were made on is an earlier bugged build.

Word has it's the review build. So slightly older than gold, but not the kind of version difference that you should expect the animation to improve in the final title

I'm not going to link to any piracy-produced videos but some googling should turn them up. Some of the idle and conversation animations are just laughable*, some of the creatures attacks are silly, and skating seems to be in full mode, especially when working in 3rd person (the PC animation is bad)

"Piracy-produced" videos? How did you come up with that? What version are they? There hasn't been any word on about anything being leaked from the PC version, and googling has turned up nothing for me.

Word has it's the review build. So slightly older than gold, but not the kind of version difference that you should expect the animation to improve in the final title

And who's word would that be?

No it's the 360 version that was leaked.

Just googling "Fallout 3 leaked videos" will get you there

"Piracy-produced" videos? How did you come up with that? What version are they? There hasn't been any word on about anything being leaked from the PC version, and googling has turned up nothing for me.

PC as in "player character", not personal computer. It's the 360 version, and there's more than one stream in which you can watch people playing the game, as well as videos up

And who's word would that be?

Rumours, and the torrent is called "review copy"

It seems likely. It's not the only review copy for X360 that was leaked this weak (Saints Row 2, NBA 2k9), it's a veritable plague all of a sudden.

Ah I see, my apologies.

That's too bad about the Xbox version, although in truth I couldn't care less. The PC version is the only one that interests me. :)

Ah I see, my apologies.

That's too bad about the Xbox version, although in truth I couldn't care less. The PC version is the only one that interests me. :)

apart from some minor interface changes, from what i've heard the versions will be identical.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they're going to run the same. Framerate has a huge impact on animation.

sure you'll probably have better fps on the pc version, wont make the ice skating or shoddy idle animations any different tho.

like i said before, all versions will be practically identical. different/better animations on pc is definitely nothing we will see.

like i said before, all versions will be practically identical. different/better animations on pc is definitely nothing we will see.

Well then it's odd that the PC version videos look so much smoother, with none of the animation glitches you were refering to.

Rpgcodex members are spamming spoilers into fallout3 official forums. I know that they are weird with fallout but this is pretty infantile behaviour. In anycase if you are planning to play it stay away from rpgcodex fallout3 topics or you might get to know the plot in advance.

Rpgcodex members are spamming spoilers into fallout3 official forums. I know that they are weird with fallout but this is pretty infantile behaviour. In anycase if you are planning to play it stay away from rpgcodex fallout3 topics or you might get to know the plot in advance.

Thanks for the warning. That is quite retarded behaviour...I have really never seen something like that and I've been a gamer for quite some time. Codex shame on you.

Well then it's odd that the PC version videos look so much smoother, with none of the animation glitches you were refering to.

well someone earlier in the thread gave you the answer to that. those are official videos, surely bethesda sees to it that no dodgy looking bits appear in those..

you might get to know the plot in advance.

Knowing the plot in advance might be a good thing, as I reckon it'd discourage quite a few storytelling RPG fans away from the game - and it's kind of fair's fair now, because unless you want giggles, Fallout 3 is not the place to look for a decent plot.

Hell. It is easily one of the dumbest plots for an RPG I have ever seen.

well someone earlier in the thread gave you the answer to that. those are official videos, surely bethesda sees to it that no dodgy looking bits appear in those..

The other videos in question were from the Xbox version.

..my answer was regaring your comment about the pc videos.. and i dont get where you're going with this?
ok so you might have 60fps on the pc instead of 25. the game will be smoother overall yes, but it really wont magically up the quality of the animations, nor the way they are handled in the game world..
neither will 20-25fps 'degrade' the animations to some lesser quality.

..my answer was regaring your comment about the pc videos.. and i dont get where you're going with this?
ok so you might have 60fps on the pc instead of 25. the game will be smoother overall yes, but it really wont magically up the quality of the animations, nor the way they are handled in the game world..
neither will 20-25fps 'degrade' the animations to some lesser quality.

A faster framerate will not change the actual animation itself of course, but it does have an impact on how our eyes perceive it. Of course it's going to look better if it's smoother, that's why such a big deal is made over framerate to begin with. The same animation looks a hell of a lot better at 60fps, then it does at 20-25.

Which comment about the PC videos are you refering to? The one where I said that I have yet to see any major animation glitches in the PC version? If you disagree with what I was saying then please feel free to post a link that shows otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom