Independent Game Companies-- Obscure Word of Mouth Games

mytgroo

Watchdog
Cause big game companies are too complicated, I am interested in finding out about those good indie, or word of mouth games. So far what I have liked has been most of the Spiderweb Games, Kult Heretic Kingdoms, Evil Islands, and a few others. I want quality indie games. I am looking forward to Eschalon: Book 1. What are the really good independent games that are coming up or the obscure word of mouth games. Nothing too complicated.

wow, every bit of drek imaginable. Although Dink Smallwood and Shadowflare are pretty entertaining. I am still waiting for Vault Dwellers game and a few others. Never really liked Mount and Blade. It looks very nice, but I just don't like it. Abandonware is well abandoned... dosbox doesn't do much for me.

Well, we cover all the indie rpg's we can find here, so if you visit our newspages regularly, you'll get the scoop on everything being released!!

What about roguelikes and freeware.

This is a very nice summary of the better roguelikes. Linley's Dungeon Crawl with the graphical interface is kind of interesting. Most of the freeware titles I have seen are really really bad. The only open source game which seems to stand out is the one with the penguin-- freedroid.

http://www.digital-eel.com/deep.htm

How well does Evil Islands stand up over time? I tried it back in the day but can't remember why I didn't continue.

On a general note, the indie RPG scene isn't quite as vibrant as it should be -- other than ascii roguelikes and a few JRPGs. There are some games coming up that look outstanding (AoD, Eschalon, The Broken Hourglass, Depths of Peril) and Spiderweb always comes up with the goods but there really should be more.

Considering that writing a 20 MB game compressed is about the same size as about 20 novels, it is surprising that many indie games get finished at all. Most people don't realize the scale involved. Lets say you have four team members making your game, each member has to turn out about the same amount of material as 5 novels in approximately a year. This requires an insane amount of devotion and concentration. Be lucky we get the few games we do get.

Here is a little studio that seems to be almost completely off the radar. http://www.rakeingrass.com -- They produce Styrateg which is interesting and Undercroft both of which are interesting games.

Anybody have any other interesting independents that are not that on the radar.

Interesting site which I'd never heard of, thanks for the link!!

This is a rather odd game in beta. It has an almost spooky quality to it, but it is fun to play for a little while. Lost Legends. http://www.ghostwoodgames.com . Post anything unusual you want here, no matter how bad or good it is.

Back
Top Bottom