Kenshi Impressions/Help Thread

Fluent, why keep bumping a thread that clearly nobody is interested in? What's your problem man, do you need a spotlight, or attention? Whats's with this OCD man? Jesus.

The game is clearly not as perfect as you make it out to be. Once again, it's just another delusion.

This game is good, but not great. I would rate it 6.5, and that is because I like sand boxes and survival games.

The main problem here is that the game is infested with bugs, many of them being quite serious and, when you sum them up, they detract a lot from the experience and require quite a bit of patience. Not only that, many of its mechanics are half baked and don't work. It seems the developers tried to do a lot, but with very limited resources, and the result shows.

A lot of these problems were present far before the game went out of early access and were known by the developers, but the game was released in that shameful state, unfortunately.

Some examples from the top of my head:

- Graphics and art direction are really ugly. Like 10 years old ugly. The only models I found acceptable were the humans and skeletons. The other races and monsters are just ridiculous. I have the best hardware money can buy and even in the highest setings, it's just not pleasant to look at.

- The camera gets constantly in your way. I find myself in a constant struggle to find the best angle and every time you enter a building you have to adjust to get an acceptable view, which gets annoying really fast.

- UI and font scaling are broken. I play on a big screen and I had to adjust scaling in the video options. The problem is that it breaks the UI and the texts, to the point a lot of information is lost, such as skills and skill descriptions in the character window, inventory descriptions and slots, bounty and book descriptions. It's ridiculous, there is no scrolling for these items and I'm not even in the max scaling settings.

- Pathing and automation is a nightmare. The caracters cannot find their way around stuff. You can control up to 20 characters at the same time, but you have to keep babysitting each and every one of them, because if you let them act for themselves, even for a short while, they will end up stuck somewhere. If you build a base that is even worse. They get stuck in the props or crafting stations built there and you need console like commands to free them. If you send characters far away on the map, there is a 100% chance they will just stop and wait for commands halfway through, and you don't get notified they bugged, you have to check constantly.

- There are no quests. You make your own goals. That could be a positive, but the map is so vast and devoid of points of interest (and the ones present are too samey) that you find yourself asking what you should do next, what goal to achieve. Bounties, which are present in the game, are ridiculous to do, because they are very vague as to where you should go, and, as the game is pratically devoid of conversation with NPCs, you're on your own figuring out where your quarrel is, which is dumb as while you are looking for the bounty, you could be making tons of money elsewhere.

- Base building is obnoxious and very badly implemented. If you are in uneven terrain, be prepared to get bored out of your mind trying to build walls that work well. Not only that, there are four levels of walls. Once you spend hours building level 1 walls, you can upgrade them to level 2, once you research the tech. But, in an awful design decision, the devs made you destroy your level 2 walls to build level 3 walls in their place, which will take a lot of time and boring labor from the player's perspective. Also, gates are made of paper: a few sword swings from invaders is all it takes to get the gates destroyed.

- AI is terribly dumb. You can post turret shooters on your walls, and you can make kill boxes so your turrets kill all invaders before they can destroy your gate. The problem is, the turrets hit the other friendly turrets too. I mean, the turrets are on the wall and the enemies are down, on the ground. How can the turrets hit themselves? And since turrets are pretty strong, they easily KO one another, so you have to babysit them to healthy status every so often, which sucks.

- Speaking of AI, my turrets are at the highest level, and tear any invader force to shreds in seconds. Even so, they keep sending trash mobs to harass you, which just pisses me off as I have to keep one character just to burn (dispose of) the corpses automatically. But burning corpses is another automatic function that bugs every once in a short while and doesn't work properly, prompting more micromanagement.

- In order to get tougher, combat is mandatory. Alas, when you fight a lot, you're bound to lose limbs. You can replace your lost limbs with mechanical parts. The problem is that there is a big faction in the game that attacks on sight anyone with mechanical parts. It's ridiculous to have one basic mechanic of the game make you hostile towards a whole nation like that.

- Buildings frequently bug, causing the game to have weird issues so you have to constantly snap them to place via a console like command.

- The game crashes to desktop A LOT, especially if you don't snap buildings to place.

- The world is not interesting, the NPCs have nothing interesting or engaging to say, and there is practically no dialogue.

- If you don't like respawning, be prepared as there is a lot of it in a supposedly realist game like this, both for human enemies and factions, but also for enemies, which can be frustrating in harder places, such as the craters, where beak things (a hard monster) can make your life hell.

These things are just off the top of my head and I could go on and on, but, as one can see, this is far from perfect and, really, it feels like an apha game at most.

Last edited:
I'm just surprised it's still flying low a bit on the radar.
Low on the radar? It just got #4 in the most prestigious GotY awards on the whole internet! It may be good but you can't seriously expect it to beat a game with Brian Blessed as a voice actor. ;)

Oh my. Has @arthureloi; been hanging out over at the Codex?

Low on the radar? It just got #4 in the most prestigious GotY awards on the whole internet! It may be good but you can't seriously expect it to beat a game with Brian Blessed as a voice actor. ;)

Oh my. Has @arthureloi; been hanging out over at the Codex?

No, he just really dislikes me. :D

It's got 89% Positive reviews on Steam, though, which is surprising. Just seems to be flying under the radar a bit as I don't see many people talking about it, even on the 'Dex.

I don't think it's flying under the radar, I am certainly interested in trying it out at some point. It seems to require a huge investment of time to be really worth it though, and that's something I don't have. I'm lucky if I can scrape together a couple of hours a week, the time where I could play 5 hours or more everyday is now far behind me. Life gets in the way. ;)

Similar to TomRon, I know I'll be picking this game up at some point, most likely via great old games. I like what I've read about it, and I've avidly followed the progress of this project for several years. I've a friend that picked it up during the past holidays, so I'm keen on hearing what she thinks of it as well.

I think you'll like it Carn but like TomRon says, it requires a huge time investment. It's one of the longest games I've played, technically it is endless but even in 170+ hours with it I have barely explored 10% of the map, just now building a base and haven't really scratched the surface ultimately with everything you can do in the game. It's huge.

I just saw it won 4th place in GOTY here. Impressive! I hope more people buy the game and check it out. A 12 year madman project deserves some sales!

Time isn't usually an issue for me, as long as the game warrants it. I just need a robust combat system to keep me engaged, and lots of room to wander/explore, sometimes the most fun I have is when I simply get lost within the game.

Time isn't usually an issue for me, as long as the game warrants it. I just need a robust combat system to keep me engaged, and lots of room to wander/explore, sometimes the most fun I have is when I simply get lost within the game.

You might get lost between the plethora of bugs that plague this game.

But frankly, it's more likely that your characters will get lost first, as the pathing system is just hideous! Ugh.

I found the pathing system pretty good, but it does have some bad quirks. Sometimes your characters get caught on a rock or something and you realize it after your party is a mile away. Or characters go a separate way than the others but ultimately end up in the same place. But it doesn't ruin the game at all, that's why it's got 89% Positive reviews on Steam. For a niche game that's pretty good. But yeah, it does have some quirks.

I found the pathing system pretty good, but it does have some bad quirks. Sometimes your characters get caught on a rock or something and you realize it after your party is a mile away. Or characters go a separate way than the others but ultimately end up in the same place. But it doesn't ruin the game at all, that's why it's got 89% Positive reviews on Steam. For a niche game that's pretty good. But yeah, it does have some quirks.

Wait until you get to heavy base building, then report again about pathing/automation issues.

As for steam ratings, you used the exact opposite logic with Kingmaker, so, are steam ratings relevant when evaluating the quality of a game or not?

Wait until you get to heavy base building, then report again about pathing/automation issues.

As for steam ratings, you used the exact opposite logic with Kingmaker, so, are steam ratings relevant when evaluating the quality of a game or not?

The automation for base-building has been good for me. It's at least a step in the right direction to cut down micromanagement. I'll report later if it's giving me problems (early stages of base-building right now.)

Steam ratings don't really matter much to me, but it is remarkable that a niche RPG like Kenshi with 8000 reviews has an 89% Positive on Steam. It just seems odd that a sort of clunky, one core engine game has been reviewed so well. Kingmaker's reviews are odd in the other sort of way, where it's also a somewhat niche game but people expected it to be easier, and there weren't enough tutorials in the game to explain certain mechanics. It's a case by case basis but I sometimes find them interesting, although they rarely influence my decision to buy a game or not (they never do, actually.)

The automation for base-building has been good for me. It's at least a step in the right direction to cut down micromanagement. I'll report later if it's giving me problems (early stages of base-building right now.)

Steam ratings don't really matter much to me, but it is remarkable that a niche RPG like Kenshi with 8000 reviews has an 89% Positive on Steam. It just seems odd that a sort of clunky, one core engine game has been reviewed so well. Kingmaker's reviews are odd in the other sort of way, where it's also a somewhat niche game but people expected it to be easier, and there weren't enough tutorials in the game to explain certain mechanics. It's a case by case basis but I sometimes find them interesting, although they rarely influence my decision to buy a game or not (they never do, actually.)

For once, we agree my friend :blush:

I'm using a mod that increases the maximum party size to 256 instead of 30. This is very fun, but leads to certain issues:

1. My CPU is old and so much stuff going on means it is taxed heavily. I have about 70 or 80 followers at the moment. Gameplay has become very choppy. The game also gets choppy when viewing certain high poly moving objects, so it's GPU intensive as well.
2. Keeping track of jobs is harder now. This is especially true with farmers, who are my largest single group of laborers. There's not enough room in the interface to tell which farms each farmer is farming. I kinda wish you could script your own jobs using JavaScript or Lua or whatever, but this would go against the hardcore minimalism of the game.

Other issues include:

3. Characters (mostly pack animals) are constantly getting stuck in 3D geometry. Your troop may be marching along and you suddenly realize your pack bull is still stuck in a door or behind a gate in a town you left two hours ago.
4. If you're marching and you encounter enemies, your squad leader will automatically try to outrun them. However, your slow and injured troops will not be able to keep up with the leader and will get picked off by the enemy. I would rather the leader stand and fight. In either case, it means you will be doing a lot of babysitting making sure the troops are still moving as a group and not spread in a long line across the map with some troops stuck, unconscious, dead or captured.

And finally:

5. Loading times! This game takes forever to load. Also, as you move across the map, the game is constantly loading and unloading resources into memory. Each time this happens is a little hiccup where the game freezes for a split second. I wish I could install the game on my SSD but the drive is simply too small for my system OS and games too.

It is still a very fun game. Recently I have been zooming in real far while my squad is marching. The terrain looks much more impressive that way.

Last edited:
First impressions have been very good. I started off banging on rocks (took a little work to understand that interface). Found a very nice hunk of copper just a few feet from a Hiver store and was making OK money, going from 1000 to 2000c. Then a beak thing and some sort of gorilla thing attacked! I ran (I'm very good at running) into the shop, the hivers swarmed the things, then swarmed a couple more that came later. Once they were done, I popped out, grabbed some hides, and sold those. Suddenly I've got 12,000c!

I got a new recruit for free but she's not such a good runner. Maybe she'll get to acceptable speeds if I do some strength training with her. The wilds seem to have gotten a little more dangerous, though - or maybe I was just lucky before?

Yikes, that's a lot of games, @Zloth;
It was - but I was in no rush, and I think it's paid off. There have been a LOT of patches since then!

I tried the demo and found it pretty rough. The setting is neat, but I found myself constantly fighting with the camera the entire time.
The camera has easily been the worst part of the game so far. The first real town I found is situated in a valley. UGH! The camera is always either too close or in a valley wall.

Can you play solo or is a squad mandatory?
There's a guide in Steam's guide section on how to play as just one character.

If there is no guards around and if you're lucky, the beak things and the gorillas will often fight each other to death.
Just wait around and profit the occasion to level up your stealh.

Now that you have money, you have to travel to the city of Mongrel and recruit the legendary Beep.
The road to there is super safe, trust me :devilish:

I saw some beaks and gorillo's fight but, afterward, there would always be one or two left alive that would eat on the corpses until they vanished.
The road to there is super safe, trust me :devilish:
I saw a map to the place which made it real clear the way was NOT safe! ;) Didn't even buy the map.

I'm trying to do a bunch of exploring now to try and find a place to set up shop. Holy Nation isn't looking real good but it's starting to look like every place will have one form of bother or another.

Holy Nation is the best best place to build a stronghold (especially if you want to grow stuff) but they're assholes. It's a trade-off.

Mongrel is the best city in the game, beautiful haunting fog… You should go there.

So... Are they fixing the bugs and giving patches for this? I would like to play it, but the bugs people are mentioning would probably kill my interest pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom