Why Roguelikes?

I simply cannot understand ChienAboyeur's posts. They never make any sense, and are mostly useless.

I wonder why anyone would take time to write such gibberish. I would guess this user is in an ocean of boredom.

So many have said so and yet here Chien still is :)

I think he's amusing - and you can sort of detect a point now and again.

Of particular amusement value is when Chien and joxer go in circles, trying to promote their incredibly rigid agendas, like utterly oblivious parrots.

You have to look at the bright side of things!

As I said above, his posts look to me like replies posted into the wrong window.

I agree with you guys. It does seem he's responding to an entirely different conversation. But even so, the ideas are not congruent or cohesive, it almost feels like talking to an A.I.

I have failed to detect a point, though. The only point I detect is the insistent twitch or streaming hogwash, which makes no sense either.

I tried to reason it with the fact (judging by the user's nickname) that he/she might have French as his/her primary language.. But then again I speak French too and know for a fact that their reasoning and conversation processes don't work like this, so I constantly find myself at a loss.

I think the dude is a bot to be honest. I think mentioning him draws its attention for random posting!

Why are these perma-death games popular?
Thread title and your OP cover totally different topics.

Permadeath is one thing, Roguelike not Roguelite something totally different.

Why so many RogueLITE released is a matter of game budget versus game duration. There's been so many because it allows increase duration for a lower budget, it became a good game budget plan for indie dev.

Why so many RogueLITE get fairly successful is like why many players enjoy MMO despite ton of repetitive aspect. A large part of the gameplay fun is transfered from the fun to play, to the fun to achieve.

It's not working well for all players but it did for enough players to generate so many indie RogueLITE.

The wave seems decreasing in my opinion.

True Roguelike are another topic but I doubt it was the topic you aimed. And no, true Roguelike aren't really popular. They require too much effort on design, amount of variations, tuning, procedural management, which let not much money for an AAA polishing level as have all most successful indie games since at least one decade.

EDIT: Combats in RPG are plagued by a similar problem, plenty players don't care that they are tedious, the fun is the achievement to beat the combat thanks to a "perfect" build.

I love roguelikes! Well, some of them, at least. The fact that you have to start all over again after dying is always putting you on the edge of the seat. If you make a dumb mistake and die, you get punished for it.

I can understand it's not somebody's cup of tea, that's completely fine. Not every genre should be for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom