BioWare - What Inspired Anthem

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Polygon relays some of the history of modern Bioware and talks about the inspirations for their current project Anthem.

As the video game industry has changed these past few years, one big lesson BioWare has learned -- from its own mistakes as well as those of other developers -- is communication. When Casey Hudson returned to Edmonton in 2017, he started a blog on the company's website. Since Anthem's reveal, Mark Darrah has fielded hundreds of questions from would-be players on Twitter, making certain that folks understand what, exactly, the game is meant to be. And starting almost a month out from the game's release, BioWare held two weekend demos for all platforms -- PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One.

"The casual comparisons to other games are very easy to make until you play it, and see the story development, and see the character development, and see how it actually plays on the sticks," says Gamble. "Then people are like, 'Oh, yeah, this is different.' I wouldn't call it an experiment. Anthem is Anthem; it's a different game. Studios are allowed to make different games than the ones they've done before."

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I just want to vomit after reading this article….

Anthem is their next step in evolution? Seriously :/

At this point maybe it's better they don't make ME or DA games anymore and just focus on being EA's lapdog which seems this is what they've became.

@danutz_plus

Here you can see a fine example of the kind of response I'm talking about. You can find countless more with a bit of a search, if you seriously don't believe me.

This right here just confirms my fears for future BioWare RPGs.
“It’s not like we’ve decided, hey, all of our games are now gonna be Anthem,” Warner says. “Our other games, as we go forward, are gonna take things out of the toolbox that they need to be true to themselves. Whether that’s another bout of multiplayer — we’ll see.”
Pleases don't make every future game online only.:fingerscrossed:
Darrah, for one, is eager to explore the unique experience of tabletop role-playing games like D&D, which isn’t the purpose of a fast-paced shooter like Anthem. (In January, EA filed a new trademark application for Jade Empire, the name of BioWare’s 2005 action RPG, though there’s no word yet on what new plans might be in store for the property.)
This sounds interesting a possible new D&D RPG.
Regarding the developer’s potential role in the partnership between EA and Lucasfilm, neither Hudson nor Warner had much to say. “God, I wish I had something to give there,” Warner says. “I’m a lifelong Star Wars fan; KOTOR is one of my all-time favorite BioWare games. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything new to dish on. You never know. There’s a big pitch process, and Disney wants to take Star Wars in a certarain direction.
Sadly Disney is fine with EA's direction so yeah he's right no more RPGs.

"What inspired Anthem"? When someone is not Polygon, me, IMO these "inspired" Anthem:

1. Nonregulated by law scammy microtransactions

2. Fortnite success by slightly adapting blueprint of PUBG (in this case Destiny)

3. Destiny concept of cheap tetrisoid/Flappy Bird (no story, no nothing, only grind)

4. Paid article shills in gaming media

5. Social networks brainwashing

If we're talking about who exactly inspired Anthem, that'd be Activision's CEO. No, not EA's CEO, he's now a cute kitten compared to Activision's one.

Pretty ironic, if you go to the front page of that site, Polygon, one of the lead stories is a negative review of Anthem, where at one point the game is said to be like "taking a trip to the DMV". lol

Based on reviews, it sounds like this would have been a better fit as a single-player game.

Pretty ironic, if you go to the front page of that site, Polygon, one of the lead stories is a negative review of Anthem, where at one point the game is said to be like "taking a trip to the DMV". lol
PC Gamer review is just out, they gave it a 55 - a lower score than they gave to Fallout 76. "Anthem's disjointed story, boring loot, repetitive missions, and shallow endgame are all disappointing. At least it's pretty."

PC Gamer review is just out, they gave it a 55 - a lower score than they gave to Fallout 76. "Anthem's disjointed story, boring loot, repetitive missions, and shallow endgame are all disappointing. At least it's pretty."

Ouch.
Metacritic isn't looking too good for them at the minute either. It's currently at 65% with 9 mixed reviews - no positive or negative reviews.

Wow, looking at the game, I thought it was inspired by a Snorlax.

Looks to be another Fallout 76 situation here. Still I foresee it will garner bad reviews & press, but in the end will make enough money to offset all the negatives.

I think we should found a studio at the AA indie level, and make the sort of narrative RPGs Bioware used to be known for. I reckon we'd clean up! :p

I think we should found a studio at the AA indie level, and make the sort of narrative RPGs Bioware used to be known for. I reckon we'd clean up!
Nah they'll just be gobbled up by THQ Nordic, EA, or Microsoft again.:p

THQ Nordic would give a small budget and force Epic Exclusivity
EA would force you to adopt origin, loot boxes, and tons of micro-transactions.
Microsoft the same as EA , but you have to use the Universal Windows Platform.

Nah they'll just be gobbled up by THQ Nordic, EA, or Microsoft again.:p

THQ Nordic would give a small budget and force Epic Exclusivity
EA would force you to adopt origin, loot boxes, and tons of micro-transactions.
Microsoft the same as EA , but you have to use the Universal Windows Platform.

Well, we'd have a lot more pocket money after the gobbling! But, private firms can't be gobbled unless they're insolvent - they have a choice, and would only sell if the pot was pretty darn sweet.

More seriously, I think Microsoft could do something interesting if they merged the
RPG know-how of Obsidian with the technical and artistic talents of Ninja Theory. And, being a platform holder, they have an incentive to compete with Sony's strong single-player tentpoles.

More seriously, I think Microsoft could do something interesting if they merged the RPG know-how of Obsidian with the technical and artistic talents of Ninja Theory. And, being a platform holder, they have an incentive to compete with Sony's strong single-player tentpoles.
Yep Feargus talked about this in the buyout video it will provide more resources & talent, but I just don't want to see future obsidian games only released as Universal Apps.

A metacritic score of 64. Really, ouch. Thought it was going to do well as it appeals to a large market. Even Dart likes it, and a couple of YouTubers love it. Ok, that last one is not a reference.

Personally, I'm already turned off when they use key terms like "endgame", "loot", "drop rates", "uncommon, common, legendary items", "dailies", etc. It all sounds so bland.

Shhh don't say YouTubers it's a bad word on this site. :shh:

There just hate outrage outlets don't ya know.:devil:

Back
Top Bottom