Dungeons and Dragons Online Discussion

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd make this an official post since I didn't see a topic for general discussion about this game.

Played a handful of hours so far and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. I'm playing as a Deepwood Sniper but may roll a new character if I don't like how this one turns out. I did notice that my melee attacks seem to be much more efficient than my bow attacks, so I end up whacking away with my sword instead of using my bow in most cases, so that seems a little backwards, but otherwise, good game thus far.

Anyone want to add some advice or general game tips for a DDO noob, feel free.

Quick question to get things moving: What do I do with lapis lazuli, agates and random gems? Is that vendor material or are they used for some sort of crafting later on?

Let me just say a few things as to why I think this game is so incredibly fresh right now.

For one, it's not your typical hotbar combat system. It's fast-paced, not as action-y as GW2 it seems, but you have a fair amount of movement. It's fun using the left mouse button for all attacks and swapping weapon sets out mid-battle is very fluid and rewarding.

The dungeons. They are incredibly cool thus far. Simple dungeons like a crypt, an underground complex, an aqueduct, etc, but they are done very well. Some of them have puzzles to solve, special items to gather to proceed, etc. And they all have a Dungeon Master narrating at special moments during the adventure. A simply awesome touch that goes a long way.

The spending of Action points I believe they are called is fun, and leveling up is done well. I'm only level 2 so I can't comment too much on this, but I've used about 5 or 6 points thus far on various skills and abilities, and it's been fun.

The exploration and sight-seeing is awesome. The level design is fantastic thus far. The outdoor areas are not humungous, but they are big enough so you don't feel claustrophobic.

The graphics are beautiful. I don't feel this game is dated at all in that department. It's been very fun exploring the beautiful terrain and seeing what's around the next corner. And of course for us explorers, there are deeds and things to complete based around exploration, as well as slayer deeds, rare encounters deeds, etc.

This game seems like a perfect companion to a game like LOTRO. It's different enough to be very interesting and above all it's just fun to play.

More detailed impressions coming later, but thus far I'm very happy with this game!

Played a handful of hours so far and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. I'm playing as a Deepwood Sniper but may roll a new character if I don't like how this one turns out. I did notice that my melee attacks seem to be much more efficient than my bow attacks, so I end up whacking away with my sword instead of using my bow in most cases, so that seems a little backwards, but otherwise, good game thus far.
Your bow "efficiency" will improve as you get more levels. You want to max your video draw distance and put plenty of skill points into spot. Shoot them from very far away and keep shooting until they drop. They'll never even reach you. At the lower levels, expect to melee some.
Quick question to get things moving: What do I do with lapis lazuli, agates and random gems? Is that vendor material or are they used for some sort of crafting later on?
Gems (which go into the blue bag) are strictly for selling. Collectables (stuff that goes into the red bag) and ingredients (stuff that goes into the green bag that you might not have yet) get used for crafting and/or turn-ins.

The exploration and sight-seeing is awesome. The level design is fantastic thus far. The outdoor areas are not humungous, but they are big enough so you don't feel claustrophobic.
Korthos is actually the smallest outdoor area in the game, so that aspect will get better for you.

Good to see you're enjoying it.

Thanks for the tips, dteowner. The bags are so small I can't tell which color is which. I just finished the main story in Korthos and am about to sail to Stormreach.

What do I do with Dragonshard fragments?

And just a quick question about factions. I'm in the Leaky Dinghy in Stormreach and I see a few quest-givers are talking about different factions. Can I quest for all of them if I choose? Anything I should know about them? Mutually exclusive or anything?

Last edited:
The factions all work together, you will do quests for all of them, but early on you want to focus on Coin Lords and then House Kundarak. Just collect those fragments for now until you have a few thousand and we'll explain later. Send us your in game name and we'll send you a guild invite. Korthos is really just the tutorial area; now the game really begins. Have you been doing quests on Normal? You can repeat on Hard and Elite. There's 2 reasons for this; extra XP and more importantly, Favor. Favor gets you bonuses and free Turbine Points.

I'll send you a guild invite. Remember, all of us have Skype and you can get help most times by sending a skype message, or if we're in game using skype voice. Once you're in the guild, you'll be able to see who is online quickly from the Guild panel.

Invite has been sent.

I like of DDO that it requires more thinking than many other games nowadays, especially regarding character development.
It still is very much combat-focused, but at least it has trap-finding as an requirement for groups, which lets it make stand out from most other "modern" games.

Well, for whatever reason I've been tipping my toes back into the MMO waters here and there after about 8 years away, and am currently giving DDO a try due to some of the peer pressure here. I finally settled on a character build and name, and a guild invite would be lovely.

Name is Penegrew Balefire, halfling extraordinare.

I'm still level 1 and sporting the "badass chain shirt" look on Korthos. Give me a wave if you see me. (I don't do skype, so hopefully my mad typing skillz are sufficient).

You should be fine with your typing skills. Seems like every MMO there is pressure to get a mic and use voice chat. Yes, it's easier that way, but I don't think it's a necessity. I get by just fine with typing, but to each their own I guess.

Have fun with DDO, it's an awesome game. I plan on playing more but I've been distracted by the prettiness of Tera at the moment.

I will send you an invite. Unless someone beats me to it. Welcome to the guild. Find the guild ship once you get off the island. The buffs make life so much easier. :) Check the guild chest for items you can use. We have a lot of new toons so we are all putting low level items in there. The rule is if it is in there and you can use it, take it.
Also, guild chat does not ping with you type a message. So if people are on and do not respond to a hi, they most likely missed it. Send a tell if that happens. We are all glad to help.

I refuse to use a mic or even enable it for hearing. I've had way too many instances where people just won't shut up. Text forces a certain desirable brevity.

Oh yeah, the guild airship in DDO is awesome. Basically you will want to head there at the start of your session and receive all the possible buffs. They are very helpful. You won't get access to the ship until you reach Stormreach, though.

I refuse to use a mic or even enable it for hearing. I've had way too many instances where people just won't shut up. Text forces a certain desirable brevity.

You can squelch a person's text and voice chat if required. However, listening to instruction is pretty mandatory for raids. I know I personally found it irritating to have to type out lines and lines of instruction because one person in the raid didn't have speakers or some such excuse. Or having an hour-long raid fail entirely for the 12 people involved because one person couldn't hear/understand "DO NOT KILL THAT LAST MOB".

Yes, just post, or send one of us your toon's name and an invite will be sent. Anyone who posts here is eligible for the guild and is most welcome to join up with us to run any quests. There is usually someone available to run at most levels and we enjoy helping people new to the game.

wMKnhSF.jpg

Getting weird graphical glitches. Any idea what I can do to fix these? those colored regions flicker also

Back
Top Bottom