Morrowind Morrowind Mods

Gallifrey and Artran,

My advice to you guys would be to just download all of the official Morrowind Plugins and play with those.

Morrowind is a great game by itself, without any fan made mods being necessary, especially if it's your first time playing it.

@Gallifrey
I used to be a huge Doctor Who fan. :)

Last edited:
A mod I'd like is one that greatly improves the balance in Morrowind. Games lose interest for me after they're clearly won, and my characters in Morrowind have always become invincible long before they've accomplish any of the main goals of the game.

This time around I decided to play an agent in order to level up as slowly as possible. I like to use magic and alchemy -- minor skills for an agent. But my character still became a sort of demi-god at about 20th level or so.

Squeek, try Galsiah's character development, in combination with Morrowind Comes Alive and the wilderness mod.

The first one changes the way your character levels, so it goes slower and more balanced. Rather then you dstributing the points, your attributes rise when you level up the matching skills a lot. I found it helped a lot with balancing the game.

the last two add more humans, undead, bandits and creatures that are harder to defeat, and as far as I know cater for higher levelled characters as well.

JDR13: the official mods aren't that good, and modders have achieved so much stuff that surpasses the original mods in quality, it's not funny. I fully disagree with you here.

I also disagree on the Gothic games being better then Morrowind. I've never finished either of them, and not just because they don't allow for any character creation. Morrowind is so much more beautiful, exotic, and simply more fun in my opinion, the Gothic games don't even come close. Let alone the lack of moddability... give me Morrowind any day. ;)

Cool! I'll try it! Thanks!

@Gallifrey
I used to be a huge Doctor Who fan. :)

What do you mean used to be, hm? ;)

And looks like I've got some downloading to do.. lots to choose from here!

JDR13: the official mods aren't that good, and modders have achieved so much stuff that surpasses the original mods in quality, it's not funny. I fully disagree with you here.

That's where you're mistaken. First of all, those are official plugins that add additional content to the game, not mods. Almost all of the fan made mods change\alter certain aspects of the game or they add fan made content. Unlike Oblivion, Morrowind is still a great game even without any mods. I'm merely suggesting to them to try it out without mods at first so they can experience it the way the developers intended it to be. I never once used a single fan made mod when I played Morrowind and I had a great experience.

I also disagree on the Gothic games being better then Morrowind. I've never finished either of them, and not just because they don't allow for any character creation. Morrowind is so much more beautiful, exotic, and simply more fun in my opinion, the Gothic games don't even come close. Let alone the lack of moddability... give me Morrowind any day. ;)

Everyone has their opinion and I must say that I really like both series for different reasons. Morrowind is indeed very beautiful and exotic, while Gothic excels in comparison with it's A.I. and atmosphere.

Gothic didn't need moddability to be great. :)

What do you mean used to be, hm? ;)

Well I lost touch because they stopped showing it over here in the US for a long time.

I've seen a few episodes of the newer stuff with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant as the 9th and 10th Doctors, but it didn't seem to me that it was as good as the old material. It just didn't capture my imagination the way it used to.

It could just be me since I'm older and haven't watched it in a while.

You need to play Gothic 1&2.

Morrowind is a great game though.

Ugh.. No I disliked Gothic 2. Actually I hated it.
I gave it a good shot even though I tried Gothic 1
earlier and hated it too.

Yeah.. they're called bad games by bad german game developers. :D

No.. but in all seriousness, I might give the gothic series another shot...
some time... in the.. not so... distant future... or something.
Everyone seems to love them. Must have missed something, right?

EDIT: Oh my god! They killed kenn... - wait! no! I mean - were hijacking this thread! Stop it! You bad, bad people!

My advice to you guys would be to just download all of the official Morrowind Plugins and play with those.

Morrowind is a great game by itself, without any fan made mods being necessary, especially if it's your first time playing it.

I agree with a few exceptions:

- Better Bodies
- Better Heads
- Oblivion Septims
- Illuminated Windows
- Real Signposts

All of these are asthetic improvements, so they don't change the core gameplay but I feel they are absolutely necessary.

Why? Well it seems Bethesda went through a lot of trouble to create this beautiful, unique, awe-inspiring landscape and then populated it with the most low-res, hideously deformed faces I've seen in any game. These mods seem to bring the character models up to par with the rest of the game which thought a bit blocky in comparison to newer games still looks great.

Better Heads replaces the original faces with some varied, interesting looking faces and most even use less polygons than the original even though they are much more detailed so could help the game run a little better if on an older machine. Better Bodies does the same for body models.

Oblivion Septims just improves the look of the game's coin currency, making it look shinier, more metallic, in other words a bit more realistic looking.

Illuminated Windows just adds lighting to the game at night, to windows and lamps - adds to the immersion to the game when it is night time and you actually see windows lighted as opposed to darkness all around.

Real Signposts just replaces the in-game sign names with English, which are originally in the native language.

There is also Texture Replacer which I never got to use but improves some of the textures in the game, making the ground and walls higher res. When I re-install MW I will try this out - I loved Morrowind despite all it's flaws, it was such a unique experience and I really loved both expansions but never finished either and need to wash Oblivion's taste from my mouth.

Here is a Mod List with images for your perusal: http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html

I love you. No! I meant.. thanks. that's a great list.
Ok. You've convinced me. Next time I play morrowind I'm gonna
slip in some of those mods that make the game look a bit better.
I wont touch anything that alters the gameplay or rules anyway though.

Those images on that site.. I'm starting to really miss morrowind. Suddenly
it all came back to me. How much fun I had with that game. How great it actually is.
Indeed - Replaying morrowind for the N:th time is not so far away for me.
Great thread guys, thank you.

I'm playing the game again right now, and I'm loving it.... the sound of the silt strider in Seyda Neen echoing over the water while I watch the sun rise gives me a feeling of belonging no other game has ever managed to do. It's like home...

Well, I've modded up my Morrowind install and it looks much better! Now, to decide what to play.....

Oh, probably a stupid question, but how do you swing the camera around to see the front of the PC?

Yep, that's the one, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom