Victor Vran - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a collection of Victor Vran reviews, a game that is scheduled to be released tihs Friday, but is currently already on Early Access.

PressA2Join (10/10):

Overall I found this game to be an absolute joy to play, it of course has similarities with Diablo 3 however I found that I lost interest with Diablo whereas with Victor Vran I thoroughly enjoyed it and find myself itching to play some more. This can be attributed to the customisation of the character, the hilarious movie quotes (Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Star Wars to name but two) and other equally hilarious abuse received from "The Voice (inside your head)" or perhaps it's the hilarity that ensued from meeting the "Gangnam Style" dancing skeletons. Sufficive to say this new direction for Haemimont Games paid off with dividends, and I for one can't wait to see both what additions they make to the game and of course the next game they work on.
Gamespew (8/10):

Victor Vran is far from a complete game. Despite the presence of magic it is no Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy, lacking the freedom to explore, story and diversity of these titles. Where the game excels is in its fast, frantic combat and the continual growth of skills, weapon upgrades and magical powers which make the battles increasingly diverse and rewarding. If you enjoy melee action you will enjoy Victor Vran. I certainly did.
Without the Sarcasm (4/5):

A few of the game mechanics were also a bit lacking. There’s just one class in Victor Vran, with no skill trees or anything of that nature. Although there are several different weapon types, all weapons of a given type have the same attack style. This means there’s not a lot of diversity in the combat. It seemed like ranged attacks were very advantageous, so I found myself using the same couple of weapon types throughout the game. This is balanced somewhat through other systems – like challenges, destiny cards, and so forth – which can shake up the gameplay enough to keep it feeling new, but it’s still something that veteran aRPG’ers will likely see as a drawback.
Full Cleared:

If you’re an action RPG fan, don’t hesitate to give Victor Vran a try, especially at its $19.99 price point. There’s certainly deals to be had considering the game is on Steam, but we highly recommend it at its retail price.
DigiSpun:

The leveling up system is typical, but introduces – what I enjoyed a lot – the destiny cards. These cards add a passive bonus to your character, including: Healing auras, Freezing auras, critical hit boosts, and so forth. I found them to really level the playing field when the game’s difficulty scaled up. Leveling up also introduced an opportunity to collect “treasure chests” instead of an instant upgrade in order to save up for a better item. I felt that focus lead me to find Victor Vran a very cleverly designed Isometric Shooter.
More information.

The game is a bit more "arcade", in terms of gameplay (mainly because the character can jump, and roll, to avoid being hit), but it's an extremely fun Action RPG.

Plus, it has a significant amount of content, for the price. I played over 10 hours, and currently have a very small percentage of completion. Mainly because there are many secondary, optional maps/places you discover.

One review above says the following: "Although there are several different weapon types, all weapons of a given type have the same attack style. This means there’s not a lot of diversity in the combat.". This couldn't be more wrong. There are several different types of melee weapons, and guns/ranged weapons, and they actually feel extremely different, gameplay wise, not only because of the actual basic attacks, but also because each has different special attacks. If you change from a certain melee weapon to a ranged weapon, it almost feels like you changed classes. Of course, if you change a sword for a different sword, the attack style is identical (excluding things like elemental damage/effects, ...). But a sword and a rapier are very different in terms of gameplay. It's not a question of the later being merely faster, the actual attacks are different, in terms of range and timing.

This game turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. I now understand why even places like Rock Paper Shotgun were very positive about it.

Well, some of those reviews sounds like exclusive ones which are always hyped up/bought.

This game is basically worse version of Van Helsing with less diversity, am I right?

Well, some of those reviews sounds like exclusive ones which are always hyped up/bought.

This game is basically worse version of Van Helsing with less diversity, am I right?
The game has received overwhelmingly positive remarks from several well-know websites (most when it was released on Early Access, such as Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/23/victor-vran-early-access-impressions/), and from Steam users, so it's not just some random websites.

Also, the game was in the works before Van Helsing was released (the game was announced 2+ years ago), and while I enjoy The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, I far prefer this game. And I really don't see how this game has less diversity than Van Helsing.

The game has received overwhelmingly positive remarks from several well-know websites (most when it was released on Early Access, such as Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/23/victor-vran-early-access-impressions/), and from Steam users, so it's not just some random websites.

Also, the game was in the works before Van Helsing was released (the game was announced 2+ years ago), and while I enjoy The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, I far prefer this game. And I really don't see how this game has less diversity than Van Helsing.

By diversity I think he means in character building/progression. What happens when you gain a level? How much character building customization is there? There are cards that provide passives, right? How many cards can you have slotted. Is the only significant choice character-build-wise the weapon you select? Are there stats?

The developers stated they went extremely lite on rpg-mechanics because they wanted this game to be about player skill, and not diluted with a rpg system.

The question is - is this a fun action game with lite rpg elements, or is it an arpg like Van Helsing, Torchlight, Diablo 2, PoE, etc that has character classes and heavy character building with stats, etc?

Plenty of people on this site like non-rpg games like Dishonored, Bioshock, and Zelda or whatever AAA garbage comes out, so an action game with lite rpg elements isn't going to turn many off here. But are there people such as myself who do not like games with no significant character building who could by it mistakenly thinking it actually has significant character building?

Also, how is the loot drops compared to Van Helsing, Torchlight, Diablo 2, PoE, etc?

By diversity I think he means in character building/progression. What happens when you gain a level? How much character building customization is there? There are cards that provide passives, right? How many cards can you have slotted. Is the only significant choice character-build-wise the weapon you select? Are there stats?

The developers stated they went extremely lite on rpg-mechanics because they wanted this game to be about player skill, and not diluted with a rpg system.

The question is - is this a fun action game with lite rpg elements, or is it an arpg like Van Helsing, Torchlight, Diablo 2, PoE, etc that has character classes and heavy character building with stats, etc?

Plenty of people on this site like non-rpg games like Dishonored, Bioshock, and Zelda or whatever AAA garbage comes out, so an action game with lite rpg elements isn't going to turn many off here. But are there people such as myself who do not like games with no significant character building who could by it mistakenly thinking it actually has significant character building?

Also, how is the loot drops compared to Van Helsing, Torchlight, Diablo 2, PoE, etc?
No, he clearly mentioned diversity in combat after talking about how weapons feel similar to one another, and that surely isn't right, since the game has special attacks tied to each different weapon type, and each weapon type actually play rather differently, it's not a question of doing more or less damage, and having more or less speed, they actually attack rather differently, and you have to use different strategies depending on your weapon choice.

But regarding character customization, like I posted elsewhere here on RPGWatch, no, this game doesn't have a menu for you to add points to your character attributes. Instead, with each level you usually gain more health, new abilities/slots, and/or new equipment, and you end up customizing and improving your character with your items.
Also, there are no classes. By customizing your character, and using different weapon types and outfits, you end up with characters that feels from different classes (a character with a melee weapon, and a character with a certain ranged weapon, feel nothing alike, and have different special attacks; like selecting a warrior, and a ranger, in another game), but that's not a choice you make on the menu, this is done by equipment choices, and crafting.

But before I once again mention how some of the customization works, let me start by replying to your comment of: «Plenty of people on this site like non-rpg games like Dishonored, Bioshock, and Zelda or whatever AAA garbage comes out, so an action game with lite rpg elements isn't going to turn many off here. But are there people such as myself who do not like games with no significant character building who could by it mistakenly thinking it actually has significant character building?».
First, I don't about you, but I play games that I find fun, and entertain me. That's what an hobby is supposed to do. Usually, these are RPGs, it's my favourite genre, and it has been for the past 30+ years of gaming, that's why I'm here, but I don't exclusively play RPGs, and there are certainly games outside of the genre that I find equally entertaining, and worthwhile. With that comment you are basically implied that any game that doesn't have deep RPG mechanics is crap, and patronized the tastes of other fellow RPGWatch members who play those games. And you know, I'm not a fan of recent Zelda games, but calling it a non-RPG, and AAA garbage, is a bit too much, don't you think?

So, since your enjoyment of video games is so dependent on menus, and you only play RPGs with deep mechanics and "significant character building", probably this game isn't for you, since it's a bit more on the action-side of things, since combat is faster-paced.

But you know what: I certainly don't feel this game provides, in any way, less gameplay options, or less "significant character building" than, say, Van Helsing or Torchlight. In those games if you have two players that, for their characters, they select a different character class, but equip a melee weapon, and you basically end up having two characters that play very similar to one another, usually with just different spells between them.

You can achieve a more different gameplay experience with this game, while not having an option to select different character classes. Even two characters that use different melee weapons (say, a sword, and a rapier) play rather differently.

There are several types of items that are used to customize your character. I'll exclude from the list paints, that provide merely cosmetic effects.
The demon powers are the equivalent to spells, and as you level up you get, at least, two active slots (at least that's what I currently have; you can change the demon powers in the active slots at any time). These demon powers you can get by random drops, crafting, or as a reward for levelling up, and many also have random prefixes/suffixes (like Diablo, and other games) that change their main effects. These demon powers consume "overdrive", which is the equivalent to mana. There are offensive and defensive demon powers, from cool attacks such as projectiles and fire beams, to defensive powers that provide shields, damage deflection, … .
The cards provide passive skills/abilities, and go from adding extra damage/health, to adding elemental effects to your attacks, vampirism (stealing health), and much more. The cards have levels, and also, like every other item in the game, there are prefixes that change the base stats (for the cards there are less types, I believe besides the normal cards there are 2 types: one of those is "divine", but there's at least another one, which I'm not recalling). You can improve a card by using crafting (for example, you can use 3 cards of the same type and level to craft a card with a higher level, or you can add other abilites/effects to the cards using different crafting recipes). Currently, I believe I have 4 card slots (or is it 5? :biggrin:)
The outfits, besides providing different types of armour, increasing attributes, and other abilities/effects, also change the way you gain "overdrive" (which is the resource that is consumed by the demon powers), so different outfits mean different combat styles/options.
Weapons are worthy of mention, because each weapon type has special attacks tied to it, and change the gameplay experience more than usual for this kind of game.

Generically speaking of loot drops, the game is very rich on it. There's many different item types, with different stats/levels, all items have prefixes/suffixes, that change the base stats, you can get many items from random drops, chests, you gain an item for each level you gain, you can use crafting (in this game, it's called transmutation) to improve items, combine items (you can combine, for example, cards or demon spells with weapons, and add a number of passive effects/attributes to weapons/outfits), add extra attributes to items (besides the above items, there are also stones that add certain attributes to other items).
Items have also a certain level of rarity, like other games of the genre. There are normal items, uncommon items, rare items, legendary items, and more.
After 12+ hours, with a character that is, I believe, on level 22, I still haven't found certain weapon types (apparently the game even has lightsabers).
From what I gather from other players on Steam, people are really enjoying the loot system, and like Diablo they keep playing the game in order to level up their characters, and getting better, rare or legendary items (there are people with hundreds of hours now).

One cool thing the developers added recently for the online mode (which I still haven't used) is bounties and treasure map drops. These kind of scrolls have certain objectives, for great rewards, and feature a code that you can share with other players, so they can add these to their games (and these can be played in the offline mode as well). So that's another type of drop, and another thing done to extend the lifespan of the game.

Overall, I've been really enjoying the game, and usually I'm not easy to please when it comes to A-RPGs (I dropped Diablo III after just a few hours, because I was having no fun at all with the game).

Hopefully, more impressions/videos will surface (or maybe a demo?), so that people can get a good idea of what the game is about, and how much fun it is to play.

Well, you've convinced me, FJCB. Next time in the mood for an ARPG, VV gets the nod :)

No, he clearly mentioned diversity in combat after talking about how weapons feel similar to one another, and that surely isn't right, since the game has special attacks tied to each different weapon type, and each weapon type actually play rather differently, it's not a question of doing more or less damage, and having more or less speed, they actually attack rather differently, and you have to use different strategies depending on your weapon choice.
No, he clearly stated diversity in comparison to van helsing. Here is the quote you replied to from farflame- This game is basically worse version of Van Helsing with less diversity, am I right?
But regarding character customization, like I posted elsewhere here on RPGWatch, no, this game doesn't have a menu for you to add points to your character attributes. Instead, with each level you usually gain more health, new abilities/slots, and/or new equipment, and you end up customizing and improving your character with your items.

How many ability slots do you have? Also, you get a level and get nothing but a piece of equipment? People have stated “most of the time you just get 5 potions” when you level up.

Also, there are no classes. By customizing your character, and using different weapon types and outfits, you end up with characters that feels from different classes (a character with a melee weapon, and a character with a certain ranged weapon, feel nothing alike, and have different special attacks; like selecting a warrior, and a ranger, in another game), but that's not a choice you make on the menu, this is done by equipment choices, and crafting
But before I once again mention how some of the customization works, let me start by replying to your comment of: «Plenty of people on this site like non-rpg games like Dishonored, Bioshock, and Zelda or whatever AAA garbage comes out, so an action game with lite rpg elements isn't going to turn many off here. But are there people such as myself who do not like games with no significant character building who could by it mistakenly thinking it actually has significant character building?».
First, I don't about you, but I play games that I find fun, and entertain me. That's what an hobby is supposed to do. Usually, these are RPGs, it's my favourite genre, and it has been for the past 30+ years of gaming, that's why I'm here, but I don't exclusively play RPGs, and there are certainly games outside of the genre that I find equally entertaining, and worthwhile. With that comment you are basically implied that any game that doesn't have deep RPG mechanics is crap, and patronized the tastes of other fellow RPGWatch members who play those games. And you know, I'm not a fan of recent Zelda games, but calling it a non-RPG, and AAA garbage, is a bit too much, don't you think?

First, I love action oriented rpgs. My favorite mmo is Wildstar, where I have to actively dodge (a lot), strafe, and have hit boxes, etc. But, Wildstar has a great rpg system backing it up with a ton of equipment slots, a skill tree circle like thing, and a skill set per class you have to pick with a certain amount of upgrade points you can use on your 7 selected abilities. There is no reason an action game can’t have a deep and meaningful rpg system at all.

Second, I do not think my opinion is too much. I enjoyed the Star Wars 1, 2, and 3 far more than I do 4, 5, and 6. I think they are superior in every single possible way. I really liked the Green Lantern movie and Superman Returns. But, my liking them didn’t really stop pretty much everyone in the world from telling me and everyone else they sucked and were crap. To me, Dishonored and Bioshock are pure, unadulterated AAA garbage; like most AAA games or anythign else that goes for form over function and have shallow mechanics. Are you saying the Zelda’s are RPGs? Because even the most open-minded people haven’t degraded the genre that far yet. You must be the rpg-hippy I ever met if you think the Zeldas are rpgs. They most certainly are not.

Games to me are also a hobby, but my impeccable taste only allows me to enjoy a game when it has a deep and meaningful character progression system (amongst other aspects). I also did not like or buy Diablo 3, because they removed the character progression system and gave us nonsense tripe. I also stopped playing WoW when they removed meaningful character progression.

I don’t know if you are recommending I should like what I don’t like, then I don’t know what to tell other than no. I shall continue to only like what I like, mainly because that is how it works.

So, since your enjoyment of video games is so dependent on menus, and you only play RPGs with deep mechanics and "significant character building", probably this game isn't for you, since it's a bit more on the action-side of things, since combat is faster-paced.

I addressed this above. I love action games with a deep and meaningful rpg system. One has nothing to do with the other.

But you know what: I certainly don't feel this game provides, in any way, less gameplay options, or less "significant character building" than, say, Van Helsing or Torchlight. In those games if you have two players that, for their characters, they select a different character class, but equip a melee weapon, and you basically end up having two characters that play very similar to one another, usually with just different spells between them.

So you are saying in Torchlight, Van Hesling, and Diablo 2 there are 3 classes? Melee and ranged? That is true for Van Hesling 1 without DLCs, but every level you get stat and skill points to customize your character, along with equipment. Same in D2 and Torchlight. At the end, you end up having made a significant amount of choices that make your character your own.

Please just answer the following in simple, short answers-

1) Exactly how many non-equipment related choices can you make in VV? We know equipment with different stats effect builds, we have all played real crpgs so that is a given.

2) If you play for 30 minutes how many item drops do you get?

3) When you level up to level 30, how many times will you get items versus getting stats and or new abilities?

Please realize, just because a game doesn’t have a good rpg system for character building doesn’t mean it isn’t considered a good game, or a great game. Look at WoW, it has like 10m or 7m players. Them removing any significant character progression system effected nothing. Look at D3, probably made more money than D2. Look at all the mega super hits that have no, or insignificant and meaningless character progression systems. It does not matter.

What matters to me are people who are expecting the normal arpg type game with all the staples besides action combat know what they are getting into. Being an informed purchaser. Watching a gameplay video does not give you any idea if there is a deep and significant/meaningful character progression system, unless you watch way too much of it. I’m 41 so I don’t do stupid shit like watching other people play games like the kids do these days.

So you are saying in Torchlight, Van Hesling, and Diablo 2 there are 3 classes?
I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss: where did I say that?

You completely misread my post, from the diversity bit (which I was referring to one of the above reviews, not a previous poster), to everything else in between.

You must be the rpg-hippy I ever met if you think the Zeldas are rpgs. They most certainly are not.
:rolleyes:
Let me guess, you also post at the RPGCodex, right?

Please just answer the following in simple, short answers-
Dude, learn some manners. You must be out of your freaking mind if you think I owe you any answers, like your tone implies.
First, you insult me, and then you want answers, and you dictate how the answers should be?
If you are indeed 41, you should have learned by now that posting with a condescending, rude tone, will get you nowhere.

If you want to know more about the game, go look for it.

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss: where did I say that?

You stated, and I quote - “In those games if you have two players that, for their characters, they select a different character class, but equip a melee weapon, and you basically end up having two characters that play very similar to one another, usually with just different spells between them.”

That implies that there can only be classes related to range in arpgs other than VV. I inferred from your implication that to be a close combat class, a ranged combat class, and a caster dps class that can be ranged or close. If you didn’t mean what you said I have no way of knowing that other than you telling me so.

Let me guess, you also post at the RPGCodex, right?

No, I haven’t posted there in probably over ten years now. But by your use of an eye-rolling emoticon I guess you are implying only people at the codex could possibly think Zelda isn’t a rpg. I assure you, there are a lot of people on this site that know for certain Zelda is not an rpg. I really can’t say more than that without being insulting. But, why are you not a fan of people at rpg codex? Do they not use facebook or twitter good or something?

Dude, learn some manners. You must be out of your freaking mind if you think I owe you any answers, like your tone implies.
First, you insult me, and then you want answers, and you dictate how the answers should be?
If you are indeed 41, you should have learned by now that posting with a condescending, rude tone, will get you nowhere.

If you want to know more about the game, go look for it.

I did look for it, and know the answers, and since RPGWatch now has a competent review of the game everyone else will know the answers as well.

Also, how was I insulting? By calling you a rpg-hippy? When taken in the context I wrote it, you should be able to tell it wasn’t an insult. In the context I used it, it means you are extremely open minded, to the point of ridiculousness. I am a hippy myself, when it comes sex and drugs. I think all drugs should be legal with no regulations. I think all types of sex, besides child porn and sentient non-consensual sex should be legalized; such as bestiality and necrophilia and incest. Dead people don’t care who has sex with them, because they are dead. That is a stupid law. I am donating myself to necrophiliacs when I die, because they have so little opportunities to have the kind of sex they want. And I’ll be dead and I know for certain I won’t give a shit what is shoved into any of my orifices. I know it will be a lot less intrusive than what an embalmer does to my corpse. And if someone owns a chicken and wants to stick their genitals in it, I don’t care. They own it, and it’s a stupid fucking chicken. It’s none of my business. And I don’t care if animals don’t seem to like it. They should evolve sentience so they can communicate their wishes, until then fuck them, they are all property. When I first hit puberty I used to make sweet, sweet love to my bed, a towel, the couch cushions, and other objects. Never everything living, but not much less stupid and sentient than an animal is. Hell, I could go make love to my lamp right now and there’s no rules stopping me from doing it. Consistency and free love for all.

Also, I said please. How is that rude? I asked simple questions and you wrote the fucking bible as a reply, so I tried to be more specific. I think it is rude to answer simple questions with bible length politically spun sales pitches. You think it’s rude when someone asks something nicely and uses their manners and says please. Which one is actually rude?

Lastly, I am not out of my “freaking” mind and think you owe me answers. How do I know this? It is common knowledge I guess. You also do not owe me money, a ball message, or a tickle fight. The list goes on and on and includes pretty much everything and anything. I hope that makes you feel better.

No, I haven’t posted there in probably over ten years now. But by your use of an eye-rolling emoticon I guess you are implying only people at the codex could possibly think Zelda isn’t a rpg.
No, I was implying that the overall aggressive, and insulting, tone of your reply (and your previous post), from calling most games as "AAA garbage", patronizing the tastes of fellow RPGWatch members who like what you consider trash, and the name-calling, is typical of RPGCodex.

As for the rest of your reply, frankly I have no desire in replying to your ridiculous rambling, or wasting any more time with you.
Instead, I'll simply use the always reliable "ignore user" option, to spare me from future random divagations on this and other threads.

Have a great day.

I guess he or she isn't one of the handful of people I bring joy to. Also, he or she is not a big fan of rpg codex at all.

I honestly didn't think I was being insulting, and held back when I had had some pretty easy openings. I even explained how the one thing that could have been taken as an insult wasn't. Maybe I need to use more explanation marks and emoticons? !!!:p:):blush: That should solve this issue, right?

Oh well, as Montresor says, Nemo me impune lacessit (translation: love and forgive your neighbor or something along those lines).

I tried the "free" version. The game is fun, better then Van Helsing, still worse than Path of Exile(PoE), GD or Diablo 2. It is less of a classic aRPG and more following the story. Also maps are smaller. But within those limits it done well. You can dodge and jump and all maps have challenges and bonus missions. I tried it on Hard and got destroyed on first map, but I think it gets easier later if you can do the first map as once you get few levels many new tools unlock.

For more casual players I recommend this game over Van Helsing, or Diablo 3.
For hardcore better to stick with GD or PoE.

Back
Top Bottom