The Witcher 2 - Full Combat Rebalance Mod Release Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Two days ago I informed you about a combat rebalance mod that was being developed by CD Projekt RED’s gameplay designer Andrzej Kwiatkowski. Well I'm happy to report that the mod is planned for a June 20th release.

Kwiatkowski himself revealed the release date on CD Projekt RED’s forum, and stated that the mod will be 2GB in size instead of 8 GB. The changlog is masssive so check out the forum link for more info.
GENERAL CHANGES
-Up to 80% increase in responsivness per Geralt’s animations.
-Up to 50% increase in repsonsivness per NPCs animations.
-Added strafing while being locked on an enemy and walking.
-Geralt can block while moving ( NEW ANIMATIONS ). Static Guard Stance is no longer required to parry enemy attacks.
-Geralt automatically parries enemy sword attacks and deflects incoming arrows.
-Geralt and his attackers are no longer bouncing off parry. It allows to continue attack sequence.
-Monster attacks still cannot be parried with a sword.
-While using Guard Stance Geralt channels an active Quen shield.
-Above listed changes to defence mechanics decreased importance of rolling in combat.
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
-Decreased the number of skills to ensure quality over quantity.
-Geralt now starts with core witcher skills already learned. No need to go through Training tree before unlocking other branches.
-Removed many passives from skill tree to replace them with more active abilities. Remaining passives are changed to make them more attractive.
-All skills now have one level ( previously 2 ).
-Aard and Igni Signs have been changed from projectile to cone area of effect.
-Riposte doesn’t require Guard Stance to activate, only attacking in a timed window.
-Changed riposte animations ( NEW ANIMATIONS, DUH ) to prevent Geralt from sliding on enemies.
-Experience points are given only for progressing through quests, not for killing enemies. This encourages role-playing without worrying about missing experience.
-Geralt no longer buys witcher specific recipies from random merchants. He recalls lost memories as a part of character development.
More information.

Love some of these changes, not sure about others. This mod could use the ability to active or deactivate which changes you want.

Just started my first serious play through, now I'm wondering whether to play it vanilla or use this mod?

Any thought from those who have played through the game?

Couldn't stand the combat after using Duke Patrick's TES mods. Only reason I'd consider picking it up again is if combat were tweaked so I'll give it another go when this is released. Not sure of this tho:

"Geralt automatically parries enemy sword attacks and deflects incoming arrows."

-Experience points are given only for progressing through quests, not for killing enemies. This encourages role-playing without worrying about missing experience.
If I die soon, please memorize that I've died a happy man.

RPG that discourages grinding wetdream came true.

I was excited when this was first announced, but now I'm not so sure. Some of these changes have me scratching my head.

-All skills now have one level ( previously 2 ).

So does this mean we can now obtain twice as many skills as before? I don't see the purpose of this other than to make it easier to be a jack of all trades.

-Decreased the number of skills to ensure quality over quantity.

As if it weren't enough that skills will only have one level now, they're also reducing the overall amount of skills?

I'm hoping that it will be possible to install just the "general changes" from this mod.

I was excited when this was first announced, but now I'm not so sure. Some of these changes have me scratching my head.

So does this mean we can now obtain twice as many skills as before? I don't see the purpose of this other than to make it easier to be a jack of all trades.

As if it weren't enough that skills will only have one level now, they're also reducing the overall amount of skills?

I'm hoping that it will be possible to install just the "general changes" from this mod.

Yeah I was about to post the same thing. Not sure if this mod is for me either because of these changes... :/

I trust Flash knows what he is doing, what with singlehandedly improving Witcher 1 combat tenfold and being hired to design combat for Witcher 3.
Cannot wait, third replay here I come!

I would check the full change log as the mod will change allot of things besides the combat. The mod won't be for everyone.

I might try this for my replay eventually. Some changes definitely sound strange - but sometimes you need to actually play with it to make sure.

Any thought from those who have played through the game?

I found the overall game fantastic and the combat enjoyable when it was first released. I never had a problem with the combat. I would be much more excited if they released something that would massively decrease lag, long loading times and unskippable cut scenes.

Witcher 2 is quite replayable, though more importantly there's 2 main routes that are completely different from each other. I recommend you play it first completely patched but without this combat mod, and then for the second playthrough with it.

Back
Top Bottom