Darkest Dungeon - Kickstarter Now Live

Whatever label you want to slap on it, someone is trying something new, and that's worth backing. I'm in. It also looks like it could be fun. :)

Well the fad is roguelike elements (sort of like the RPG elements fad ;) )....

Neither Dwarf Fortress nor Don't starve or Dungeons of Dredmor or FTL i.e. (to name some that I have actually put some significant time on the last few years) are bonafide rogues. But the label is usually meant to signify procedurally generated worlds, permadeath and a balance of systems and mechanics (and sometimes procedurally generated equipment) geared towards survival gameplay.

Its not my #1 thing (sounds a bit like Diablo minus the hack and slash no? ;) ) but add some sandbox (i.e. DF and DS) or some innovative features and cool ideas like this one, that create (or promise) a sort of emergent gameplay and sim/strategy (again DF and in a lesser extent DS) overtones and it makes for an addictive and fun side game. Definitely something you can replay and come back to when the back log allows...

Most intrigued to see how this one turns out...

I did, didn't like it at all (had fun for the first couple of hours, then the boss battle came, they obliterated me, tried again, again obliterated, uninstalled)
I've seen posts like this so many times that in the end there is no chance I ever buy FTL. While I'll have fun with balanced games, including hopefully Darkest Dungeon which I backed, FTL' devs can go obliterate their mother.

Faster than light. And yes, the boss destroyed me a couple if times too. But now I've beaten in several times and still have the installed for when i want to do a rerun.

FTL was much easier to reach the end in then most roguelikes, but then when you reached it if, you weren't prepared, you got obliterated. I could see how that would be jarring for some people. In most roguelikes you die due to a steady ramp of encounter difficulty rather then one giant boss at the end.

Well, depends on how you define roguelike.

Well, once upon a time there was this game called rogue....I kid, I kid. What it sounds like to me is that it's not roguelikes people have a problem with. It's hard games with permadeath. And I can understand that. It takes a certain kind of masochist to really enjoy that sort of experience.

Well, there are rogue-likes and rogue-likes. And then there are rougle-likes. ^^

SotS - The Pit, Don't Starve and FTL could hardly be more different from each other.

Maybe someone should exchange the term with "Forced Ironman Mode" or so instead ;)

BTW: Does anyone know where the Term Ironman-Mode first came up? Guess I saw it in Jagged Alliance 2 Gold first. Probably wasn't the first game which used it though.

SotS - The Pit, Don't Starve and FTL could hardly be more different from each other.

Personally I view SotS - The Pit as being a true roguelike, while the others are just games with light roguelike elements. But much like trying to define a RPG, it's mostly just a matter of opinion and personal taste.

Wow, nearing their 2nd stretch goal at $100k.

The developers are awfully quiet - guess there is not much to do at this early stage since the momentum has picked up (or a publisher/investor showed interest and they are in discussions!).

The developers are awfully quiet - guess there is not much to do at this early stage since the momentum has picked up (or a publisher/investor showed interest and they are in discussions!).

They have been somewhat active in comment section and they also posted this:

We're working on the backer update - racing to catch up to messages, emails and comments! Quite frankly, the onslaught of backing and support we've recieved surpassed our wildest expectations! Bear with us - we want to include some answers to the trending questions and make sure it's an update worth reading :)

-Chris

They have been somewhat active in comment section and they also posted this:

Many thanks - good to know.

Confederate Express had an interest from an investor half-way through the campaign and they had a quiet period and I assumed its the same here.

I wouldn't be surprised if a publisher approached them - their presentation and game ideas are well done.

Holy hell, this game looks good! Absolutely love the art style and the game premise is very intriguing too. A lot of promise in this one, plus I'm getting a strong Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay feel from this and that is a GOOD thing. Insta-pledge!

Back
Top Bottom