RPGWatch Feature: Might & Magic X Preview

More likely, people did not think the trinity in terms of aggression.

In a RPG, combat is just one activity among others a role playing act can be built on. As such, combat is secondary.
Yet, so called RPGers made combat primary, the focus in so called RPGs is no longer on role playing but on combat.

And as such, they cant escape conclusions that are drawn for combat based games.

You're probably one of the younger people who got introduced to RPG's in the 90's, or later, and thus lack context.

But anyway, combat has always been the primary function in RPG's. Including non-computer RPG's (I used to be a D&D and AD&D player back in the 80's). In fact, the true old-schools games that were made in the 80's, were much more combat-driven than modern RPG's. Say, Skyrim is far less combat oriented game, with far more complex RPG elements, than any of the early Ultima's, or Gold Box series.

Some of the much later RPG's in the 90's (I like to call them "New wave") such as Planescape Torment, were less combat-oriented. But those kind of games were always pretty rare.

The combat system was also so horrible in Planescape, that you wanted to avoid fighting at all costs. Probably the main reason why people feel it's not so combat-oriented.

You're probably one of the younger people who got introduced to RPG's in the 90's, or later, and thus lack context.

Don't think so.
After several discussions with him I just see him as "The Philosopher" ^^
There is no point in arguing with him.

Don't think so.
After several discussions with him I just see him as "The Philosopher" ^^
There is no point in arguing with him.
I learned that lesson two years ago. "The Philosopher" fits him well. ^^

Back
Top Bottom