Oblivion Oblivion 2016 graphics showcase - 10 years of Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
As maligned as it is by some it's still a good game, especially once modded (meaning not just graphics). I'm 50 hours into Dragon's Dogma at the moment for example and whilst it's a great game in many respects I do feel somewhat limited for character/situational options when I compare it to Oblivion. I suppose this might be down to it being a console to PC port whereas Oblivion was the other way wasn't it?

I never finished Oblivion, because the level scaling really spoilt it for me. But, in many ways I loved it, and I think it had a certain charm that Skyrim was missing.

I might look into a mega-modded setup, overhaul the scaling, and pimp the graphics. Thanks for the video.

I'm 50 hours into Dragon's Dogma at the moment for example and whilst it's a great game in many respects I do feel somewhat limited for character/situational options when I compare it to Oblivion. I suppose this might be down to it being a console to PC port whereas Oblivion was the other way wasn't it?

Nah, Oblivion was definitely developed with consoles in mind. I just think those are very different games to compare. Dragon's Dogma wasn't designed to have much depth outside of combat and the pawn system.

I show the game in 4K with graphics enhancements and many great mods on my YouTube channel. Skip ahead a few episodes and you'll see things like an expanded Imperial City and more.

Looks very pretty. Ya I still enjoy OB from time to time. I didn't for a long time. I'd modded it with FCOM and found playing a real chore - my specific setup had ended up with many more mobs and very brutal combat. After blowing that install away and taking a more considered approach instead of blindly overhauling everything I settled on a setup that I really enjoyed. As much as some seem to dislike them I think it's a credit to Bethesda that they produced a game that lets you mold it to such a degree. If you can take the time you can make it fit your personal tastes.

It looks nice, but that's a lot of work. Is there no all-in-one package for Oblivion like MGSO for Morrowind?

No, since it requires several programs to install mods; plus the size of the game, vanilla is under 6GB i think, now with these mods i see its 38GB; it takes some hours but its easy. You need to watch the first video to learn how to use the main programs and the 2nd to learn how to install the mods, after that its easy, just follow the written guide, no need for videos anymore.

But if you want to play it, its worth it, game looks very good even without the enb.

No, since it requires several programs to install mods; plus the size of the game, vanilla is under 6GB i think, now with these mods i see its 38GB; it takes some hours but its easy. You need to watch the first video to learn how to use the main programs and the 2nd to learn how to install the mods, after that its easy, just follow the written guide, no need for videos anymore.

But if you want to play it, its worth it, game looks very good even without the enb.

Quick questions here :)

1) What's the ENB you're using ?

2) Are you (or anyone else here) using FCOM mod? Or OOO, at least? If so, do they conflict with the list you posted? Is FCOM mod still the same it was years ago (was it updated? etc)

I miss playing Oblivion, a game I never finished because of some bugs (artifacting) probably due to mods I was using back then and also because I was mounting a new PC at that time, and I got distracted by something else...

Well, that guide is called Bevilex' modlist for Oblivion - Graphics ;)
There is a section there More mods that contains more than graphic mods but didnt installed them

I'm just a little surprised to see someone here playing it without doing anything to adjust the scaling. I consider Oblivion almost unplayable with the default level-scaling.

I really enjoyed Oblivion, perhaps more than most here. But admittedly, the leveling system is my biggest complaint and is the sole reason I hardly ever revisit Oblivion. I stand by JDR's statement. I simply cannot enjoy it in vanilla form.

However, I do believe the game is still gorgeous and was ahead of its time back in 2006. There's a sort of calmness to exploring Cyrodiil, no matter where you go.

If you're going to play without modding the scaling, just make sure to level up as a combat build, or you'll probably have a frustrating time. I leveled up as a thief-type character, and then got thoroughly pissed off as combat against standard opponents found me progressively weaker.

Faces seemed to be missing in those vids. That's where Oblivion looked bad.

No problem with faces here, they look quite good imo, facial expressions too

anmSlV0.jpg

jkCOIrh.jpg

Certainly looking good.

Back
Top Bottom