Baldur's Gate 3 - Live Stream at Pax East

Here comes misogynist, snarky, hateful, scaring off comment of the day:

This game will never be THAT Baldurs Gate! It will be Divinitys adventures in Sword Coast. It probably still could be great game, but not the Baldurs Gate. THAT Baldurs Gate was so great because so many obstacles happened, stars aligned in right position, you cannot recreate it, no matter what.

It will be something like Arcania for Gothic series. Yea there will probably be Minsc in BG3, but he will never be THAT Minsc.

Old Baldurs Gate was so full with atmosphere, never had that in any Divinity game. Like both games have small maps where things happen, but BG always gave me feeling of big and wondrous world somewhere there outside, while I never have that feeling in Divinity games - I still have very little insight of Divinity's universe, to me all their games seems like they have no connection, except maybe some names like Zixzax.

And all this gives me depression about BG3 :( Would be better to leave legend alone.
Nothing bad about your post as you bring up good points.

I have to say PF:KM is in many ways THAT BG game to me, more so than any of the other "Spiritual successors". I have high hopes for BG3 as well, but I'm probably more hyped about PF:WorR.

Last edited:
I feel the same way. I am hopeful that BG3 will be good, but I fully expect that PF:WotR will be good.

Here comes misogynist, snarky, hateful, scaring off comment of the day:

This game will never be THAT Baldurs Gate! It will be Divinitys adventures in Sword Coast. It probably still could be great game, but not the Baldurs Gate. THAT Baldurs Gate was so great because so many obstacles happened, stars aligned in right position, you cannot recreate it, no matter what.

It will be something like Arcania for Gothic series. Yea there will probably be Minsc in BG3, but he will never be THAT Minsc.

Old Baldurs Gate was so full with atmosphere, never had that in any Divinity game. Like both games have small maps where things happen, but BG always gave me feeling of big and wondrous world somewhere there outside, while I never have that feeling in Divinity games - I still have very little insight of Divinity's universe, to me all their games seems like they have no connection, except maybe some names like Zixzax.

And all this gives me depression about BG3 :( Would be better to leave legend alone.

I agree with you in a sense that D:OS has a very different vibe from BG. And I don't like D:OS vibe.

However, we cannot know for sure that BG3 will have a D:OS atmosphere. Actually, we have evidence of the opposite. In some interview some time ago, I read that Larian was changing that D:OS atmosphere to adapt for BG3. So it looks like Larian is quite aware of that. Moreover, Wizards of the coast seems to be collaborating with this project. I don't think that they are willing to screw up this franchise. So I think that you are assuming a lot of things that we don't have evidence that it is going to happen.

I can just seen Sven being crucified after showing a character sneaking around as a barrel. Gygax will arise from his grave and strike off his head :)

I have to say PF:KM is in many ways THAT BG game to me, more so than any of the other "Spiritual successors". I have high hopes for BG3 as well, but I'm probably more hyped about PF:WorR.

I am only just finishing this game (I'm in the House at the Edge of Time) and I completely agree! Sure, there are a TON of bugs and without a couple forums out there guiding me around a few of these bugs I would have been stuck, but its so worth it!

I am really excited about the new PF game!

DO was good, but there was no direction without a lot of searching, where DO2 had the direction, but then it lost a bit of its steam near the end. I do think DO2 combat was fun! I haven't play the directors cut yet.

I think BG3 is in good hands, but they really need to make sure they do it right or they will see some backlash by fans.

Worst hands the Baldur's Gate could land in.

Nah. If it was given to Konami, we'd be playing BG3 pachinko simulator. Ubisoft would have turned it into live service garbage and EA would love to see it lootershooter with lootboxes. Paradox would have another DLC:The Game from it, Bethesda would skip the number 3 and release it as BG76.

Is the dragon scene footage of the game? Like a cutscene in the game?
I am wondering that because the game looks like a super production.

Nah, that's CGI from GOT:)). But you can see a bit of gameplay map at 0:25 in one of the frames-shots
The graphics look more crispy not so cartoonish as DOS but that's just one tree and some rocks so can't really judge by one shot… 7 more days!!:)

Nah. If it was given to Konami, we'd be playing BG3 pachinko simulator. Ubisoft would have turned it into live service garbage and EA would love to see it lootershooter with lootboxes. Paradox would have another DLC:The Game from it, Bethesda would skip the number 3 and release it as BG76.

Yeah, all this could have been avoided if they gave me millions to make it! But, noooo.. We don't need a good BG3 it's ok they can do it. Wizards of the Coast you idiots!:))))

I think the problem is expecting Baldur's Gate 3 to be THAT Baldur's Gate. You could instead hope it's a modern RPG, made in a different era, by different people, for a different audience, in which you, too, are a different person than you were 20 years ago.

It won't be THAT game, because it can't be, and it never will. Those games were a speck at that moment in time that can not be recreated, not even if the same team that made Baldur's Gate I and II reunited now using their 20 years old tools and assets.

If you manage to understand that, then, you may enjoy Baldur's Gate 3. That is, if you allow yourself, rather than crying in sorrow about impossibilities.

I think the problem is expecting Baldur's Gate 3 to be THAT Baldur's Gate. You could instead hope it's a modern RPG, made in a different era, by different people, for a different audience, in which you, too, are a different person than you were 20 years ago.

It won't be THAT game, because it can't be, and it never will. Those games were a speck at that moment in time that can not be recreated, not even if the same team that made Baldur's Gate I and II reunited now using their 20 years old tools and assets.

If you manage to understand that, then, you may enjoy Baldur's Gate 3. That is, if you allow yourself, rather than crying in sorrow about impossibilities.

If they want to make completely different game for different audience, why its called Baldurs Gate? In that case they probably should have left the series in past where it belongs.

Marketing. Every old successful *anything* does this. Reboot this, remaster that, rebrand this other thing.

It's not a new concept. We're all watching shit Star Wars movies once a year.

For me BG3 is just Larians attempt at a D&D game. I'm curious to see how gritty and serious they can be, and hopefully bring their story-telling and combat systems to the next level. I still expect a strong Larian signature.

Obviously, recreating the feeling of the old games is impossible. I think most people here know that. I'm afraid the masses might not. It would be have been much safer to tell their own story in the forgotten realms setting, without the BG brand. Still, I applaud them for that. Takes some courage.

More than Elden Ring, You take that back!! A hype tie is the most I can tolerate. :biggrin:

Sounds like you'd be interested to know that the Taipei Game Show, where we'll finally get to see some Elden Ring gameplay, has made a new date of June 25 - 28.

We can discuss a hype tie on this date! :D

I think it's in great hands, the greatest hands, but the 5E rules have yet to prove themselves in a cRPG. Larian is awesome, but I don't know about these WotC chaps.

It could never be "THAT" BG without 2E rules, with THAC0 and all that, but the new rules will be fun to discover and make for a fresher experience.

Marketing. Every old successful *anything* does this. Reboot this, remaster that, rebrand this other thing.

It's not a new concept. We're all watching shit Star Wars movies once a year.

In my opinion, if it was something very different. Like perhaps, different genre (action RPG?), it would be more reasonable to focus on DnD and Forgotten Realms trade marks, instead of connecting it with 20 years old isometric thing only old farts play.

If they want to make completely different game for different audience, why its called Baldurs Gate? In that case they probably should have left the series in past where it belongs.

Thats the point! If they would announced game called, for example, Watrerdeep, everyone would be happy to get new D&D game from Larian. But now, as Nereida said, they took name Baldurs Gate just for hype and marketing. I don't know how desperate Larian need money, but even if we all understand their commercial intentions, we still expect Baldurs Gate game, because of the name and number 3! And if this game do not meet our expectations, it will never be Baldurs Gate, just like Arcania never be Gothic 4!

Thats the point! If they would announced game called, for example, Watrerdeep, everyone would be happy to get new D&D game from Larian. But now, as Nereida said, they took name Baldurs Gate just for hype and marketing. I don't know how desperate Larian need money, but even if we all understand their commercial intentions, we still expect Baldurs Gate game, because of the name and number 3! And if this game do not meet our expectations, it will never be Baldurs Gate, just like Arcania never be Gothic 4!

Of course. I expressed my opinion about developers that dont know what they want to do and for whom, already few times. Making sequel or spiritual successor of games from old times, but ignoring existing audience, while catering to new, imaginary audience, which maybe doesnt even exist? That cant be reasonable business plan.

Back
Top Bottom