DA:O Dragon Age Character creator to be released on 13 October

Dragon Age: Origins

stefan9

Watchdog
We get to play around with character builds before launch.:)

Posted 10/02/09 15:17 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

We are happy to announce that BioWare will be releasing the Character Creator from Dragon Age: Origins on the 13th of October. This will give you 3 weeks to play around and get your Player Character just right before launch of the game on November 3rd – 6th.

What we have managed to do is get the awesome BioWare dev dudes/dudettes to break off the Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator from the main game so you can download it as a separate application to your PC. Once you have downloaded and installed the Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator you will be able to “pre-create” characters for use in the PC version at launch.

The Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator will allow you to create numerous different characters before launch and experiment with the different classes, races, and create multiple faces for the 6 Origin stories and save them to your hard drive for safe keeping until the game is released.

As you may be aware we are extending the BioWare community with a new social community site for Dragon Age: Origins. The great news is when we launch the Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator we will also be launching an open beta of the new social community site. You will be able to log into the new Social community site with your existing BioWare forums account name and password, and update it to the new social site account. Characters created with the Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator can also be uploaded to your account from within the Character creator. Once logged in to the social site, one of the first things you will be able to do is use one of your uploaded characters as your social website avatar for your profile on the new social website forums (yes we got that in!!), exciting stuff! Stay tuned for more information on the social website from now through launch.

Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator Details
Download location – BioWare/Dragon Age: Origins website (A link will be made public when ready)

File size - Maximum file size 320meg.

Languages – Available in English, German, French, Polish, Russian. Also available in Czech, Hungarian, Italian and Spanish with English Voice Over.

System specifications to run the Dragon Age: origins Character Creator – The Character creator runs on the same system specs as Dragon Age: Origins. Please check the FAQ here for more information: http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/faq

The character creator is currently only available for PC users.

:evil:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=696540&forum=135

Bioware said it will be release at "10am Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday October 13. "

When it would be in Malaysia, i have no idea. Mountain Standard Time = Mountain View (U.S.A. - California)?

Sweet! I can spend hours just creating characters in NWN2 with the online character creator before I even start playing the game, so this is good news for me.

Bioware said it will be release at "10am Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday October 13. "

When it would be in Malaysia, i have no idea. Mountain Standard Time = Mountain View (U.S.A. - California)?

Try this website:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Bioware is based in Edmonton, so it should be out at midnight where you are (I assume Malaysia has just one time zone).

registered on the social network now and downloading …. dang, how many internet account / user name / ID / password i need to keep?

Downloaded it. Created one character. And then quit the character creator. This had to be one of the most useless downloads I've made. I don't know what I was expecting from this, but it really is just a character creator. :p

lol, so what did you not get that you expected?

I thought we were allowed to select stuff like feats, but it appears the ones you get at first level are tied to your background or something?

I wasn't really interested in the visual aspect of it, but I must admit I was expecting to get to do something more than make a face and place a few stat points.

lol, so what did you not get that you expected?

That's what I'm saying. I don't know why I was expecting something more. Maybe to be allowed to move my character a bit. :p But just going through 4 or 5 steps to create a character? And that's it? I understand them needing to keep the hype going. But at least give us a small level to move around in. :p

All I did was select race, class, background, name, aspect, distribute some stats and that's it. The abilities were also locked depending on class I guess as Starwars just said.

I wasn't really interested in the visual aspect of it, but I must admit I was expecting to get to do something more than make a face and place a few stat points.
Me too. I'm downloading it right now. I was hoping for extensive descriptions of skills and feats and everything there is to know about character development, but apparently that is not the case? How am I supposed to create a character when I don't know what's available and thus can't plan ahead and ponder what to play? That's usually the funnest aspect of character creation — imagining an entire build in advance and then using the actual game to experience it.

Like those epic NWN munchkin characters, those were interesting because they were so meticulously planned.

You can still read about the various talents and their different trees/tiers.

Downloaded from dragonage.com just to see descriptions of skills, talents etc.

Obviously one can´t make a good picture just from reading descriptions and not using them in game, but I can´t say I´m excited.
There´s just one generic social skill branch.
Spells use the talent system which probably means you can learn just one spell per level or so. Besides that, there´s not really much of them and quite a few seem rather boring. Also, descriptions lack numbers, like basic damage potential, etc. Hopefully specializations bring more interesting things to the table.
All in all, seems to be much closer to KotOR than Baldur´s Gate and judging by the presented talents/skills, the game will be tactically very repetitive.

I haven´t really checked much other facts, so hopefully this is just a bad speculation on my part.

Last edited:
You can still read about the various talents and their different trees/tiers.
Yes, tried it out now for 15 minutes. Overall it wasn't as bad as I expected. Quite pretty actually. However, I think I was hoping for a full-fledged character planner, not a simple character creator.

Reading about the skills was interesting. Starting skills do seem to depend on your race/class combination, which I found was a nice touch. It would have been good if they included that info in the descriptions of those races and classes though.

I was seriously missing info on specialization classes in particular as well as more info in general — the available skills etc. did seem a bit generic without a bigger context. I didn't get any real sense of scope or info on how those skills affect anything in the game. Or how they will actually be developed.

In a nutshell, this "demo" didn't do anything to get me excited, sadly. Neither did it do anything to keep me away from staying on standby, which is positive. I suppose it's great for people who've already pre-ordered the game and can't get into the action fast enough.

Can't follow those character links. You need to be logged in to view them. Stupid. Don't want to make an account just for that.

Downloaded from dragonage.com just to see descriptions of skills, talents etc.

Obviously one can´t make a good picture just from reading descriptions and not using them in game, but I can´t say I´m excited.
There´s just one generic social skill branch.
Spells use the talent system which probably means you can learn just one spell per level or so. Besides that, there´s not really much of them and quite a few seem rather boring.
Well, remember that too many spells would be too complicated for the standard console players.

Back
Top Bottom