No more Watchmen movie?

I saw the preview for that before the Dark Knight and I have to say that I really had no clue what it was. I guess it came about after my comic reading days.

I guess to you NY'ers The Watchmen is some kind of weird sandwich?

Calling me a New Yorker is justification for homicide! :D I'm a Texan stuck in New York!

I read that article after I posted. Looks like it came out initially in '86, which was right when I started dialing down my comic book obsession. Of course, I was never that much into DC comics anyway.

Sounds like a weird sandwich though!

If true its it would be the second time it fell. Watchmen is also counted as one of the many Terry Gilliam disasters that fell through.

One of the problems with doing a Watchmen in this day and age is its been done several times now. Will Smith's Hancock is the most blatent while the new Batman's "man in a bat suit" has a similar theme.

I think a problem with Watchmen is that no one will be familiar with it. Much of success of the recent superhero movies are fans familiarity not just with the characters but in the case of Hancock, that its a Will Smith vehicle.

To be honest with you, I would be really surprised if you could capture in a movie all the subtleties of the series. The articles at the end of the comics give so much insight into the situations, how do you capture that in a movie?

It will be a shame if this movie is not released, especially considering that it's already in the post-production phase.

I have read that the movie is extrememely faithful to the series and some fans who got an early screening believed its been caught well. One particular blogger said it managed to pull off what Sin City did. Which I hope doesn't mean it will be for fans only.

The rumour is that directors cut is 3 hours and WB is wanting it down to 2:30-45 to give it more of an audience. Worse, if Fox get's a piece of the profits, and it looks like their suit is valid, they may demand it be cut down to 1:30 minutes to double the number of showings.

These are the details of the dangers to the film from what I've read so far.

Back
Top Bottom