The TV Series discussion thread - Page 253 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

February 24th, 2020, 22:36
Originally Posted by Winterfart View Post
Community
Curb Your Enthusiasm (by and with Larry David, Seinfeld's creator and writter)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

PS: none of these show has pre-recorded laugh tracks, by the grace of godů
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is nice one. Thanks

mariopepper

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 25th, 2020, 15:01
I very rarely watch anything on regular TV, but I have started watching Netflix and Amazon Prime since my wife already pays for that stuff. I really enjoyed Witcher, Lost in Space and the first season of Jack Ryan. I couldn't get into the 2nd season of it at all though. Need to check out other sci-fi stuff or fantasy. I've never seen any Game of Thrones stuff cheap yet, so that may be a few years off.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

February 25th, 2020, 15:22
Other sf&f on Netflix… A word of warning of a sort.
We've mentioned before in this thread the german gem Dark.
Avoid it for the time being! Wait till it gets completed with the upcoming final (3rd) season in a few months.
Why? Because this show is highly challenging for our longterm memory.

The show won't be removed from Netflix as it's their production so there is another reason not to rush on it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

February 25th, 2020, 15:48
Originally Posted by mariopepper View Post
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is nice one. Thanks
You're welcome. You gonna have fun.
--
The delightful and ever novel pleasure of a useless occupation.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

February 25th, 2020, 17:16
Better Call Saul is back and extremely worth watching. For me, this show is eclipsing Breaking Bad in quality and sheer enjoyment.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

February 26th, 2020, 02:50
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
. . .and the first season of Jack Ryan. I couldn't get into the 2nd season of it at all though. . . ..
Yup, I really liked the first season of Jack Ryan, in particular because they finished the story line instead of dragging it out. The theme of the first season could have easily been stretched out for 2 or 3 seasons. But thank goodness they told the story they needed to tell and then got out. Sorry to hear about season two, but if they handle the overall plot like they did in season one, there still might be hope.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 26th, 2020, 02:58
Originally Posted by mariopepper View Post
Yeah. I agree. I like James Franko but his character was so selfish sometimes. There is a different kind of main character in the book
OMG, I too kinda like Franko the actor, but sorry to hear they reinterpreted the main character from the book (11/22/63). OTOH, that reinterpretation should give the ending a more poignant moment. But I'm not sure it was needed.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

February 27th, 2020, 00:31
I notice that season 2 of Altered Carbon is due to drop today. Has anyone heard anything about it yet? I found season 1 a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it overall having never read the book.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

February 27th, 2020, 01:05
The first season is something I wouldn't recommend even to my worst enemy. So bad.
The second season apparently is a new story with new cast and characters. Won't be watching unless someone who hated the first season like me says the second one is good.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 27th, 2020, 01:06
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I notice that season 2 of Altered Carbon is due to drop today. Has anyone heard anything about it yet? I found season 1 a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it overall having never read the book.
I've heard its animated as it wouldn't make sense to the books to have the same actors. I think its a different time period in the future. Haven't read the books. First one was over the top - its like Netflix wants to be HBO.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 27th, 2020, 01:17
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Better Call Saul is back and extremely worth watching. For me, this show is eclipsing Breaking Bad in quality and sheer enjoyment.
I'm really concerned

Spoiler

I'm a guy who watched Saul before Breaking Bad. I really, really enjoy Saul but it drags on at times. A five season prequel is unnecessary - it could have been done in four or less. I wanted to see it end and have them continue with Gene.

After watching BB, BCS suffers from what all prequels do in fundamentally changing the story and characters like Mike. That one of Mike's first encounters with Jimmy, he calls him "Saul". I feel like Mike would never deign to ever call Jimmy "Saul" except sarcastically. And since both characters are new at that point in BB their motivations are wildly different from what they became.

Spoiler

I just found out that the line in BB, "did Lalo send you?" Lalo is the character added to BCS. LOL.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 27th, 2020, 01:32
I'm expecting great things from Lalo. We've only barely heard the name in the past, now we're seeing the man, the myth, perhaps the legend!

As for Gene….I find it hard to believe that he'd risk everything by taking it into his own hands, but who knows. I'm quite curious to see just how he resolves the situation, I'm expecting something clever.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

February 27th, 2020, 11:34
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Looking forward to it. The tv show cleared up a couple of confusing parts in the book for me. (Never quite got the murder hotel in the book).

OTOH, the second book is vastly different than the first book. The first book is basically a detective story whereas the second book is a war story. And I'm pretty sure the protagonist has a different body in the second book. But it might be the third book, they kinda blurred with time.

The one thing these type of shows/movies/books have never satisfied for me regarding the mind lives forever regardless of what new body it is placed in. . . does the mind really live forever or is it just a copy that moves on thinking it is the original? So you die but your copy which proceeds with the next moment and holds all the memories thinks it is the original. So you don't really live forever, just the idea that is you carries on.

They kinda broach the subject in the Altered Carbon book, but not really. Probably the best answer to the question was in an Outer Limits episode where these futuristic dinosaur scientists invented a teleporter. The problem however was that in the end it was revealed it really wasn't a teleporter just a copier. And when the copy was completed on the other end, the original was destroyed. Our protagonist saw the whole deal and of course she had to die in the end. I guess the writers felt the dinosaurs needed some karma against humans because of the extinction meteor?

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

February 27th, 2020, 12:24
You're overthinking it.
According to the first season of series your mind is stored in a nonorganic gadget = it's not alive per itself.
The gadget can be placed in any body where the gadget uses that body = in that case the mind+body is alive.
Bodies don't live forever. Minds were turned into parasytes forever.

Oddly for the show, bodies used are from other people as if cloning technology doesn't exist. In the end it doesn't matter, season 1 tried to point on decadence in a society that would possess such technology where people's mind can be preserved and it failed miserably. The show is a horrible scifi and pos.

Dunno nothing about dinosaurs. There is a Star Trek book, forgot the title, where characters discuss teleporter and raise a question - when it practically kills then resurrects a person somewhere else, what about the soul? Assuming the soul exists in the first place, how does it know where's new body or once teleported a person loses the soul?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 27th, 2020, 14:14
They do grow bodies in the TV show. There are storage spaces the rich and famous have and use to store their bodies that are all identical. They don't re-use bodies from others. That is something for the less rich.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

February 27th, 2020, 17:02
True I forgot there are exceptions to the rule in the show.

But that changes nothing really - the show assumes any mind can go into any body as if everyone's brain is the same which in reality can't be so (dyslexia in one language, not in another to name just one). Then there is rhythm or pitch sense which is not "mind" based, but the mind reacts to it - if and when it can. What about already known issue with person's tastes. Upon transplatation of an organ one can suddenly adore food they never liked before (but the donor did). The show also completely ignores cases where a child remembers their previous life (which are most probably not actual incarnations but collective consciousness at work). Etc etc, I could go on and on why the show is an utter pos.

Back in the day people thought earth is flat. Some still do. But Pratchett made a fantasy comedy from myths. Not sci fi based on… Nothing?
Even with that nothing and the base idea it could go brainstorming Plato vs Aristotle state. Or reasons to have children at all. Or evolutionary traits that appear and disapper as result of mutations now stopped or maybe fastened due to tech.
But it didn't.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 27th, 2020, 17:07
Someone said to someone else in this thread that they are overthinking it
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

February 27th, 2020, 17:13
Good point but not really, no. I'm just trying to explain why it sux. It's first season to be precise. Dunno what the second season is about.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 27th, 2020, 20:08
Shht. I liked season 1 of altered carbon well enough. Let me enjoy season 2.

Season 1 started a bit shaky, but I liked where and how it ended the last few episodes. As far as I understand season 2 will be a separate story though. Just the setting is a huge plus for me.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

February 27th, 2020, 21:03
Started watching Supernatural

mariopepper

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread