Skyrim - Why Fallout: New Vegas is the Better Game

It's hard to say whether NV was more or less buggy than FO3 - though in my personal experience it certainly was. However, it was MUCH less polished and has a true amateur-hour level of visual glitches, with a TON of clipping errors and misaligned meshes.

Some people don't seem to mind or notice, but it was too distracting for me. Every time I became immersed, some godawful visual glitch pulled me out of the experience.

While FO3 was not perfect either, it was clearly created with more care and dedication to excellence in terms of polish.

That's very important to me, though I could probably have lived with it if the game was otherwise appealing.

Shame, too, because the writing was better in every way - and the vanilla mechanics were clearly more interesting than the FO3 vanilla mechanics.

Many graphical issues in vanilla FO:NV can be overcome by becoming familiar with the plethora of available mods. Sure, they came after the fact but today they can make for a seamless game experience. Have not had any drop-outs, no freezes, no klunkyness, no annoying glitches, etc' - the game right now is running as smooth as silk.

It is the direction of gameplay (ie: roleplay) that pulls you into FO:NV, there are many paths to a correct faction alignment solution.

After a full twelve months i had had enough of Skyrim, i don't give in easily but the sandbox effect really hits you in the face.

Many graphical issues in vanilla FO:NV can be overcome by becoming familiar with the plethora of available mods. Sure, they came after the fact but today they can make for a seamless game experience. Have not had any drop-outs, no freezes, no klunkyness, no annoying glitches, etc' - the game right now is running as smooth as silk.

It is the direction of gameplay (ie: roleplay) that pulls you into FO:NV, there are many paths to a correct faction alignment solution.

After a full twelve months i had had enough of Skyrim, i don't give in easily but the sandbox effect really hits you in the face.

I installed the most popular mod that supposedly combined all the visual fixes and mesh/texture corrections - and it was still chock full of them.

I've tried to get into it on at least 4 separate occasions - each time fiddling for hours with .ini files and various fixes. Even so, it starts to crash regularly after a number of hours - and it has never been "silky" smooth during prolonged sessions.

Certainly to me, it's the most buggy Bethesda games since Daggerfall - but I know such things are based on subjective experiences.

Dart, would it be possible that in fact your gfx card sux? :)
Seriously, although I'm very emotional when it comes to unfixed bugs, I don't remember being annoyed by stuff you described in FO3, FO:NV or Skyrim. And I didn't touch ini file.

A crash after several hours of gameplay is something I don't care for as it's not that annoying. However, FO3, when initially released, crashed on me every 10-15 minutes. I must admit, they fixed it later. But unbearably frequent crashes didn't appear within FO:NV nor Skyrim on my rig.

My whole point was not to say that one game was buggy more than another when released. Hardly any game is released without bugs. But those bugs do get fixed. Usually.
My point was to say - this game got 99% of bugs fixed soon after it was released, while Skyrim, more than a year after the release, is still in bad shape. But nevertheless, two DLC are already spawned for it. And not some cheap ones.
That's the only thing IMO that makes Skyrim worse than FO3/FO:NV. The customer support. I'm a nitpicking customer and I want to see the game rid of annoyances. Or next time, when they release a game, they should write on the box: "Do not buy if you can't spare at least 10 years of waiting for official bugfixes".

EVERY game causes problems for SOMEONE while other games don't. Your experience is your experience. I too had no problems with FO3 and lots with FO:NV. I frankly don't care if it is Bethesda's or Obsidian's problem.

I liked them both none-the-less.

You had. Or not had. Doesn't matter, it was years ago. The question is: do you still have? I had, I admit, but I don't have anymore. Again, my point is not what happened when Jesus walked the Earth, but what devs did in the meantime. Devs. Not fans. I'm sick already of shuting me up every time with fans and fan mods - I don't care for fan mods, I payed the money to devs and not fans.

And your, I suppose, Skyrim, is bug-free since the day 1. Mine, however, was not. And still isn't. There I had and I still have. Unlike both FO3 and FO:NV where devs after the gamerelease warmed their chair and did the bloody bugweeding job.

Haven't had a single bug in Skyrim yet except for grapical glitches that also were apparent FO:NV, overall FO:NV was buggier, but still havent finished Skyrim so i guess that could change.

One mistake i always do is fiddle way too much with the .ini files, following guides were people are doing mostly guesswork of how the values in the files work, it usually makes the game really unstable. For Skyrim a lot of people advice you to disable v-sync for example, which leads to numerous bugs..

Devs. Not fans. I'm sick already of shuting me up every time with fans and fan mods - I don't care for fan mods, I payed the money to devs and not fans.

I can understand being frustrated with the dev's not fixing bugs, but turning your back on the excellent work done by the community only hurts your experience with the games and doesn't affect the devs in anyway. The unofficial patches are the first mods I install.

And your, I suppose, Skyrim, is bug-free since the day 1. Mine, however, was not. And still isn't. There I had and I still have. Unlike both FO3 and FO:NV where devs after the gamerelease warmed their chair and did the bloody bugweeding job.

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I must say I haven't had any crashes with skyrim or noticed any major bugs. Had some flickering and texture stuff here and there but can't think of anything major. I have hosed it a few times messing with the ini. file but that's on me.

I am overly vigilant in maintaining my system though and don't typically run in to many of the problems that others report. I'm not saying you don't keep a clean system and would assume that you do since your posting here and seem knowledgeable about that stuff, just that i'm very anal about it.

I had a guy at work about 6 mo. ago tell me how buggy skyrim was crashed all the time.

I asked him what kind of system he had and he said a dell. Ok, I said but whats in it? Processor, memory video card. I don't know he said, intel I think. Do you have the latest drivers? What are those. Do you know if it meets the minimum requirements? The guy at best buy said it would play 3d games. At this point I recommended the xbox version and dropped it.

Too many people don't know how to properly maintain their systems or what's in them. Ask around, I have and far to often people have no clue. They download all kinds of crap, install and uninstall all kinds of stuff, have no idea what drivers are, etc. etc. Then when a game doesn't work or their pc keeps crashing they blame game developers and pc manufactures.

They treat their pc like any other electronics they have, they buy it then just use it, but pc's are more like cars you need to pay attention to what you put in it, operate it responsibly, perform regular maintenance and give it a good cleaning every now and then.

As, I said earlier i'm sure you keep your system in order and know what drivers are but game developers have to wade through the countless numbers of bogus complaints by people like the guy I've mentioned to get to the real bugs. I won't give them a total pass but I can appreciate that that must be a very difficult tasks to tackle.

Too many people don't know how to properly maintain their systems or what's in them. Ask around, I have and far to often people have no clue. They download all kinds of crap, install and uninstall all kinds of stuff, have no idea what drivers are, etc. etc. Then when a game doesn't work or their pc keeps crashing they blame game developers and pc manufactures.

Players insisted by backing up certain video games that computers have to be connected to the Internet to play games. Including SP games. It is barely possible nowadays to build an unconnected to the Internet gaming system.

The Internet connection is a great cause of instability, forcing on the user all kinds of sideware to try and control what is going in and on. A pipe dream attempt as it is a full time job.

Keeping the drivers updated? Not such a cause of instability.
The Internet connection? The mother of so many troubles.

But players made that choice: for the utility of hosted game libraries, players who want to keep playing SP games are forced by this choice to get their system connected to the Internet.

Not only this connection adds nothing to the game, but it also withdraws from the gaming experience by increasing tenfold the system instability.

Back
Top Bottom