Solasta - Released

Yeah, that's not as bad (imo) as you made it out to be. Maybe you just don't like drums. :)
Yeah, it's personal taste, after hearing a few times in loop it got on my nerves a bit. That's why I put the link here again, I wouldn't like others to only read my opinion on it and make up their mind :)

For a pure turn-based RPG, I think 4 is probably close to optimal. I prefer the larger parties in games like BG, PoE, etc, but that works better with RTwP.
Yep, you're right.
But still with only 4 characters I feel one of my favorite combo is still missing. I'd like to play with:
  • melee strength fighter / tank with (e.g. dwarf fighter)
  • melee dex fighter / damage dealer with light armor (e.g. rogue)
  • caster damage dealer (e.g. wizard or sorcerer)
  • healer/buffer (e.g. cleric)
  • archer (e.g. ranger)
Alas that's not possible in Solasta.
It's not a big deal though. I played for a few hours some weeks ago and it was fun. Looking forward to actaully start the game.

Yes, my party isn't too far off that & I chose to drop the Mage, so I'm mageless. Which I often do in my first run of D&D campaigns as mage spells are normally the high-knowledge aspect of the game, or, the meta-game.

So, for my first run, where I'm busy learning everything else that's new, I tend to choose to not also include having to learn all the mage paraphernalia and instead do that on a more experienced run where I can concentrate on it in more depth without having to worry about learning everything else.

Installing off gamepass now:)

Good shout, the Pass is available for £1 at the moment too.

Mind you I'm still playing Pillars of Eternity 2. So I'm good for turn based RPG for now.

Daniel.

I'd also like more than 4, but it's not really a problem for me.

I even had an achievement for the typical party composition :lol:

image.png

It's actually the first time I take a fighter, usually it's a paladin. Since it's a pre-made character, the stats are ridiculously high so it should fare pretty well. The game really encourages the player to make all party characters from scratch, I was just too lazy to do so :)

Yep, you're right.
But still with only 4 characters I feel one of my favorite combo is still missing. I'd like to play with:
  • melee strength fighter / tank with (e.g. dwarf fighter)
  • melee dex fighter / damage dealer with light armor (e.g. rogue)
  • caster damage dealer (e.g. wizard or sorcerer)
  • healer/buffer (e.g. cleric)
  • archer (e.g. ranger)
Alas that's not possible in Solasta.
It's not a big deal though. I played for a few hours some weeks ago and it was fun. Looking forward to actaully start the game.

You can do a Green Mage and you get an Archer/Wizard. So you could cover all your bases. Plus, the Green Mage gets the Ranger spell Hunter's Mark, which is the bread and butter of the Ranger.

Yes, my party isn't too far off that & I chose to drop the Mage, so I'm mageless. Which I often do in my first run of D&D campaigns as mage spells are normally the high-knowledge aspect of the game, or, the meta-game.

So, for my first run, where I'm busy learning everything else that's new, I tend to choose to not also include having to learn all the mage paraphernalia and instead do that on a more experienced run where I can concentrate on it in more depth without having to worry about learning everything else.

You can definitely go without a mage but at lvl 5 you will be missing fireball and haste. The bread and butter of D&D.

You can do a Green Mage and you get an Archer/Wizard. So you could cover all your bases. Plus, the Green Mage gets the Ranger spell Hunter's Mark, which is the bread and butter of the Ranger.
Thanks for the hint. I'll definitly check it out.
There isn't some kind of Green Cleric by chance?

Yeah for me 4 is ideal. I can be live with 5, but 6+ is a slog, even in RTwP.

I'm a few hours in, having quite some fun, although I have to say the character customization isn't fantastic and the general facial expressions and voice acting is quite subpar. The game attempts for your characters to be excessively funny or witty depending on generic backhround choices and doesnt always work well.

With that said, it is a fun game so far. It just can't hold a candle to games like DOS or PoE.

With that said, it is a fun game so far. It just can't hold a candle to games like DOS or PoE.

This is exceptionally good news. I'm hoping it is very different from PoE and does indeed scare away fans of PoE. PoE was so bad it nearly made me quit the genre & I had to spend 6 months avoiding RPGs in PTSD recovery mode.

Nice to have you aboard though, I guess , the more the merrier. (?)

I'm a few hours in, having quite some fun, although I have to say the character customization isn't fantastic and the general facial expressions and voice acting is quite subpar. The game attempts for your characters to be excessively funny or witty depending on generic backhround choices and doesnt always work well.

It's a much smaller team so it would be hard to compare to those titles.

For the models, they really should have made the dialogues with the usual chat box interface and keeping the same 3D view. The models are fine from a distance, but those cutscenes reveal too much ;)

I'm OK with the voice acting really. It's convincing without having this dramatic theatrical performance others have. Not that I dislike it, it's more captivating, but how many real people talk like that anyway?

I just have an issue with Gorim, thankfully one can click on the shop to avoid hearing her speak, that voice is atrocious :lol:

For a pure turn-based RPG, I think 4 is probably close to optimal. I prefer the larger parties in games like BG, PoE, etc, but that works better with RTwP.

Indeed. In turn-based game, more units get tedious while it's much more manageable in rtwp. That said, in Solasta, you occasionally get more NPC to control. Currently, in the first dungeon, my party is six characters strong.

In term of graphic, voice acting, story telling, I tend to agree with you. That said, I far prefer the DnD mechanisms found in Solasta over the one found in those two games.

For TwitchTV enthusiasts. Timing sucks a bit so I'll watch it later if they keep the video.
In less than an hour at 10 am PST / 4 pm CEST we'll be going live with a 1.0 celebration Dev Stream!

Come and hang out with us as we discuss the game, the journey up until launch and other nerdy things like game development.

See you there! https://twitch.tv/tacticaladventures

This is exceptionally good news. I'm hoping it is very different from PoE and does indeed scare away fans of PoE. PoE was so bad it nearly made me quit the genre & I had to spend 6 months avoiding RPGs in PTSD recovery mode.

Nice to have you aboard though, I guess , the more the merrier. (?)

Damn, today the forums are roasting. :)

I accept and appreciate your tastes, although they so far differ from mine. :cool:

In term of graphic, voice acting, story telling, I tend to agree with you. That said, I far prefer the DnD mechanisms found in Solasta over the one found in those two games.

Well both POE and DOS didn't try to emulate DnD. It is matter of preference but I do like how Solasta does 5e.

Well both POE and DOS didn't try to emulate DnD. It is matter of preference but I do like how Solasta does 5e.

But they should have ;-)

My point is that the system in Solasta (DnD) is far superior to what POE and DOS are using. Of course, that's an opinion, but I thought PoE system was boring while DOS was a slug with its two armors system and very silly with its over resilience on elementary effects.

Thanks for the hint. I'll definitly check it out.
There isn't some kind of Green Cleric by chance?

There is not a green cleric. The cleric has many choices though. Can cover all the elements and also life and war clerics.

For those trying to decide between fighter and paladin, I will just say there is a paladin sub-class that casts fireball at lvl 9 :)

But they should have ;-)

My point is that the system in Solasta (DnD) is far superior to what POE and DOS are using. Of course, that's an opinion, but I thought PoE system was boring while DOS was a slug with its two armors system and very silly with its over resilience on elementary effects.
I share the same opinion, D&D has been tuned by generations of rulesets and players, it's a mature system.

PoE has the merit of being customized for computers but they shot themselves in the foot with floating-point formulae and time dependency (which became obvious when they tried to introduce TBM). And the weird system is really putting me off, despite the other qualities of the game, and there are many qualities.

D:OS2 is so good at so many things, but those are indeed the features I don't like so much.

It's interesting to have some variety though, but my favourites remain by far Pathfinder and Solasta in terms of ruleset.

Back
Top Bottom