The TV Series discussion thread

I still find the Orville a strange bird. It's like it still doesn't know quite what it wants to be, and I think that what McFarlane really wants to make is Star Trek: Classic. The comedy aspect is just getting in the way. I think that episode with the return to the high-gravity planet really showed that, and was one of the strongest.

Even with deep flaws, I find it far preferable to Discovery.

Yeah, Orville definitely drifts between seriously deep themes and stories, then rips right across the universe for a joke aimed at eight year old children. It certainly hasn't seemed to find its footing yet, but I find it far superior to Discovery, it isn't even a close contest!!

I am watching the second season of The Crown. Rather boring series, I do not understand why it is a such hit. I guess it has something to do with curiosity: what goes on inside a palace.

I tried watching it and thought the same, but I think in the UK they really like the queen and seeing her life throughout the ages interests people.

Has it been twenty years already? I'm getting old but even today I still remember the ending. Just in-case anyone forgot a new sopranos movie prequel is also in production.

As for The Orville Majority Rule was the best episode. It's shows a society obsessed with Facebook and social standing. Basically reflects the way our world is going.
The title refers to the planet's government by pure democracy. The episode examines "mob mentality," the court of public opinion, and the role of social media. It was written entirely by Seth MacFarlane, who later said he was inspired by the book So You've Been Publicly Shamed.

yes they talk about it here.. not too hyped about that though..

I still find the Orville a strange bird. It's like it still doesn't know quite what it wants to be

This is why i stopped watching it in S1.. the "comedy" portion was so terribly off, it's like its there not to be funny, but because its important to have the comedy rating (to not be a total rip-off of start trek?). It would have worked better without the comedy, either you go all-in or you leave it out, or you get something half-assed like this.

Just as hackware/malware reshade, Sopranos is overrated.

The Orville on the other hand… It's a product of genius. Past season they've addressed facebook runining lives, I bet this season it'll be lootboxes. The Orville makes no compromises and isn't trying to be "everyone's favorite", if you don't like it that's okay, but The Orville is one of rare examples of originality instead of rehashes, reboots, remakes and ripoffs. It's the top notch sci fi where the substance is hardhitting if you geddit and style doesn't matter. There is still hope for Hollywood.

I thought the first three to four seasons of the Sopranos were excellent. Yeah it lost a bit in the following years, but it's difficult to maintain that stellar quality forever. As for one show to watch in your entire life, my top pick would be the Wire. There is one episode of Sopranos that could go down as one of the best hours in television history, I believe it's titled "Pine Barrens", maybe part of the third series? Watching that episode alone will likely hook you on the show.

As for one show to watch in your entire life, my top pick would be the Wire.
I can't pick one show to top them all, different genres, different storytelling, different technology and different acting styles, there is at least a dozen of mustwatches out there.
But if someone asked me for some list of 20 shows to watch before dying, Sopranos would never make it in. The Wire definetly would!

The Wire has way too few interesting characters to make it, in Sopranos you can very easily list 20 characters that you just can't wait to see. In The Wire there are perhaps 3 which i really like. It's good but nowhere near Sopranos or The Shield (also has more interesting characters than Wire).

Sopranos is so great because it's a one man's vision (not a team where everyone wants different things) + the casting is the best ever in a TV series. Every character is just a perfect fit, couldn't be better.

Orville is a cheap hack with comedy that doesn't work. People only like it because Star Trek nowadays is such a huge disappointment, if it wasnt for that it would've been cancelled.

Will skip repeating my opinion from today, no lollygaggin' grind and no "polishing" it with reshade to the point of being unrecognizable.

Star Trek Discovery season 1 was overall disappointing, but in my case it was not huge.
Season 2 however started with a bang, too early to say it will reman that good but one can hope.
Four Short Trek episodes that were released in between seasons are pitch perfect. Sadly these, unless one lives in USA, require shady practices to watch - as if CBS doesn't believe in their quality so those had to be geoblocked and not shared with other streaming platforms. IMO an utter fail as each of them four is an awsome PR for series.

The Expanse has reached new heights for me and now directly resides on the Game of Thrones throne. Watched all 3 seasons. A rather slow start, because, many factions, things have to be told. But with season 2 and 3 I totally converted to a screaming fanboy. To be precise, after that Miller/Mao scene.
It has the perfect mixture of story telling, character development (everybody loves Amos, right?) and scenes to remember for a long time.

And what is even better than in GoT: The unknown. That protomolecule. It's always mysterious, it stays mysterious over the 3 seasons. Is it evil? Is it maybe even good? Or god? Viewers do not know, the characters do not know. Maybe it will never be fully revealed. Reminds me of Stanislaw Lem - Solaris.
Unlike in GoT. The north, white walkers, were mysterious, but lost their mystery meanwhile.

Started reading Leviathan Awakes as well, good read.

You'll be very pleased with the books, as they are even better than the telly show. As always the case tends to be. I'm hoping to find a collection of all the Expanse books bundled together for a reasonable price, I initially read them via the library but they've all earned a permanent spot on my shelves.

I loved S1 of Expanse, S2 was harder for me to get through, but it was still decent. Months ago i started watching S3 and i think i watched one or two episodes and got really bored by it, haven't looked back. The actors are mostly plain terrible (Holden especially though).

Yeah, I find most television based on books that I've read difficult to watch. Trust me though, the books are far superior to the television series. I took a chance and recently watched the first episode of the Passage, man, unless it picks up quick I'll be done with it. The book was fabulous but they've either changed or omitted so much stuff that it hardly resembles the story that I remember.

I loved S1 of Expanse, S2 was harder for me to get through, but it was still decent. Months ago i started watching S3 and i think i watched one or two episodes and got really bored by it, haven't looked back. The actors are mostly plain terrible (Holden especially though).
Yes, Holden in the last season really sucked.

I definetely would not put The Expanse in a top ten. I agree the growing mystery of that protomolecule is intriguing, but I find the people, their characters, not convincing.

I can only reiterate again that in the novels, characters, their back rounds and motivations are fleshed out much more than in the telly show. I find the television version slightly below average for telly, the books though are really good and deep.

Black Mirror seasons 3 and 4, pretty good just like the previous ones, but ofc some episodes were great and some meh or ok.

The Orville - quit after 3 episodes, just plain boring

Started now Escape at Dannemora.

I can only reiterate again that in the novels, characters, their back rounds and motivations are fleshed out much more than in the telly show. I find the television version slightly below average for telly, the books though are really good and deep.
That's why I always watch the TV series or movie before reading the books if I can help it.

I enjoyed the TV series 'A Discovery of Witches' enough that I've now got hold of the books on which it was based. Hoping to find time to read them in the near future!!

Back
Top Bottom