The RP Thread

OOC - characters in my campaign aren't meant to be transparent Lawful Good / Chaotic Evil, or the anything of the kind. You have been given at least two leads from this mini-event. Try re-reading my posts more closely. If you can't figure it out, then maybe try and chat with either titus or Krzychu, or both. If not even then, I'll try and modify it, though I think it was rather well made ... :|

OOC - I hope your lead is what I thought it is. If it isn't the mail boy, you can either not read the rest of my post and tell me I'm completely off or have fun and lead me nowhere :p

IC -

The novice was surprised and stunned to be thrown out like that, so fast, so easily. Alonzo however heard Salandril scream something to some guy on the street, but when Alonzo wanted to see who Salandril was talking to, the guy had already turned around and walked away. He hadn't seen the person's face, but he did see a guard standing outside. The novice thought the guard would've seen very well what had occurred outside.

He went over to the guard,
Praise Innos. He said, to catch the guard's attention. Guard, could you tell me who it was Salandril talked to several minutes ago? And how I would be able to find that person?
Alonzo really hoped Salandril wasn't involved, him being a fellow alchemist and all, but his manner of evading his questions at first and then throwing him out after giving a well-thought out answer was a tad suspicious. Not to mention the screaming in the streets.

OOC: I left room for backup, so there were two leads present in the situation. You took one of them, albeit the most obvious. ;)

In the Upper City...

The guard stood vigilant on the streets, even though anything barely happened, if ever, during the day. As thus, he was surprised to be aproached by someone, and no less, a priest of Innos in training.
"Aye, lad. That would be one of tha couriers here. He takes messages, letters 'n packages from everywhere ta anybody in tha town, sometimes even tha farms. Follow tha road towards tha lower city ta find him. Hurry, if ya wish ta catch 'im." he said and nodded, to confirm what he had just said.

In the Khorinis Barracks...

"Hmm?" the guard in red leather armor at the entrance seemed puzzled by the question, his mind seemingly drifting on other paths. "Oh! Iorek, yes, yes, yes. I know him." he confessed, rather reluctantly. "Yes, I'm sorry, but he isn't here at the moment. At this hour," he looks up to observe the position of the sun, "you'll find him in the market square." His look trailed off again to some distant point in the horizon.

OOC: I know that I'm just prolonging the interesting point, aka the conversations, but I do not like the idea of puting words into your mouths. I've participated in a few RP sessions where a good question asked at the right moment could've changed a lot. Not that I know what questions would do that, at the moment, mind you.

Are you sure he isn't here? How can we recognize him? there are usely more guards then one at the market square. How would you describe him on a more personnel level? brief pauze
Why did you seemed so startelled when I asked about Iorek?

The guard cocked an eyebrow, and seemed upset about the questioning.
"Because I saw him leave, because it's his spot at this time, because if he wouldn't be there, his boss, *my* boss, would certainly have a harsh word with him. Look buddy, I don't know why you are suspicious of me. Are you one of those men grown up by very strict fathers, or what? Am I not allowed to day dream while having to stand in the same place for hours on end?" he ended in a raised voice, his face turning pink. He soon calmed himself down and sighed.

"Not too tall fellow, muscly, black short hair, has a sharp look and seems ready to pounce on anybody. You can easily spot him. Now, any more questions?"

sorry I didn't mean to upset you. thanks for the information that will be all. we will be leaving and go the the market square, right Antasir?

Alonzo already started running before he shouted: Thank you, Sir!
The novice followed the road to the Lower City, went down the stairs and started looking around. He saw someone with a package in his hand and a bag with an envelope sticking out. Alonzo went over to him, stopped the man and gasping for air he said something that was supposed to be: Sir, were you the man Salandril just talked to in the Upper City? but what Alonzo actually said sounded more like: Sir... u... huh, huh.. Salil, Uppy ? and the novice thought: Maybe we should get some physical training and conditioning as novices too.

Alonzo held the man for several seconds and he then tried again. He was still out of air, but what he said now seemed understandable: Excuse me, sir. I hope I didn't startle you. My name is Alonzo and I would like to know if you were just talked to Salandril, the alchemist, in the Upper City ?
Alonzo hoped the man was the mail boy and he might be able to help him.

OOC : Khass, do you mind telling me what the other lead was or might it come up again ? And can Alonzo make potions of Mana Essence now too ?

The courier looked oddly at the novice, and took a pause before responding.
"Yes, yes I did. Of what importance is it to you, Sir?" he asked, expecting and answer. "Did he send you?" he wondered.

OOC: Sorry, but I can't tell. More of a "won't" than a "can't" ... you haven't taken that path, and if I was to reveal even the start of it, it would give you knowledge that, even though I'd point out that your character wouldn't know, would remain in your subconscience and influence your actions in some minor or major way, story-wise.
OOC2: and yeah, you can make Mana Essence potions, now, given you have the ingredients and a laboratory ;)

OOC- That's what I thought you'd say :)
And I'm sure this is one of the times where I can be straightforward or lie or do something spectacular and where you have it all figured out, haven't you?

IC-

Happy to have found the mail boy, Alonzo smiled and tried not to answer to any of the questions, but instead like he had seen the magi do, ask another question instead. That was a simple trick used by the most skilled orators, but Alonzo wasn't a skilled rhetorician, he however hoped it would work.

Could you tell me who you are taking his package to ? Alonzo asked innocently.

OOC- Don't ask me how innocently sounds. I have no idea :p

"As much as I hate to refuse a priest of the Light, I must, at this moment. My deep appologies, Sir, but my services say that the sender and receiver must remain confidential. If you wouldn't have seen master Salandril deliver this with your own eyes - and yes, I have seen you myself - I wouldn't have revealed his identity either.

Now, could I carry on? My clients trust my speed and reliability, and trust is hard to gain. I hope you understand."

OOC - I'm not sure what you mean by me "having it all figured out" ... this the point where you have to convince someone to do something. Much like the talk with Salandril, only now the NPC (heh) doesn't have the infailable upper hand, if you know what I mean. ;)

OOC2 - imagined the conversation in my mind. It did have some effect, but not as much in order to convince him. Yet.

The novice sighed. I am sorry, but you can't. Alonzo had hoped he wouldn't have to do this. He wasn't much of an authority type, but he sensed had to now. Let me introduce myself again. I am Alonzo, novice from the monastery, sent here to investigate the murder of Gregor by order and authority of Lord Hagen. He said trying to sound more resolute.

So. I will ask the question anew. Could you tell me who you are taking this package to ?
Alonzo hoped this would be enough to convince a simple mail boy. Stronger measures would have to be taken if the courier refused.

"Right." said Antasir. "Thank you and goodbye." he nodded to the guard, but the guard wasn't paying attention to them anymore, his eyes fixed on the horizon and his mind focused on... probably not focused on anything. Antasir looked at Gwildor, shrugged, and they headed towards the marketplace, which was just a minute away. On their way Antasir was struck by a sudden thought - Gwildor said that he, and the other men, Bartacus and Alonzo, were hired by Lord Andre. Why would he hire outside help to investigate something as serious as murder and leave his men to deal with other problems? Was the Guard truly so busy? Could it be that Lord Andre didn't want to risk his men? "Most of us want nothing to do with it" - he remembered Eron's* words. Was there a special reason for this or did most of the guards simply not want any more work on their hands? - Antasir wondered. Then he thought that this line of thinking could be leading nowhere and decided to leave it for now. Right now they needed to speak to this Iorek, especially since they already reached the marketplace.

There were quite a few people at the marketplace, most of them buying food, with a couple of people looking at the many shiny weapons sold here. One man was trying to bargain for a big two-handed sword. Antasir noticed that there were three guards here at the moment, and he turned to Gwildor.

"Erm, what did the guard say Iorek looks like?"

/////OOC:
*Eron - the guard from the pub. It's been a while. ;)

Iorek was a not too tall guy, wel built, has short blackhair, the look of a hawk scouting and seems an aggresive guy.
Oh yeah by the way it just popped my mind, you weren't there when we interrogated Gregor's son. He told us about a letter with a little writing on it that his father held: "When the swallow does not join the autumn flock, it dies by the harsh breath of winter." Does that sentence wrings a bell to you? I don't have a clue what it might be, but maybe together we can find it out.

Gwildor looked around to see wich guard matched the description.
Suddenly he points to one of the guards and says:
I think that is the guy we are looking for, don't you think?
Antasir and Gwildor walks up to the guard, who is standing in the middle of the sqaure and really looks like an angry guy, but also bothered by something.
Excuse me, are you Iorek?

Near the stairs running towards the Upper City...

The courier seemed scared at Alonzo's words, and his eyes widened hearing what he was saying.

"Bu-but Sir! I was told specifically to *not* let anyone near this letter!" he said, as he seemed to gain a little courage. "My services are also by law of the Lords of the city! I am protected by their word!" he seemed unsure. "It would have to be his word against his own!"

The guards standing at the entrance to the Upper City caught the courier's raised voice, and their attention drew to the conversation taking place. Though, they didn't seem to want to intervene. Just keeping an eye on the two men.

At the Marketplace ...

Iorek turned to Gwildor and Antasir with a groan.

"Yes. Yes I am. What business would you have with me, other than distracting my attention? Hmm?" he said, not in a very good mood, and awaited an answer with an eyebrow raised.

we heared from one of the guards' who had a few pints in, that you were one of the only ones who was of the only guards investigating the murder. So are we. So we were wondering why it is that you are investigating it, and the rest isn't. have you found some clues yet? because to be honest, we don't have a lot to go on yet.

Alonzo admired the courier's courage to speak up to a servant of Innos like that. On top of that, he had a valid point, but the novice knew what he could say and do which would or should easily convince the mail boy to hand him the letter.
You are right kind sir, but a murder investigation supersedes the usual law of privacy. If you don't believe me, I would like you to follow me to Lord Andre's chamber. He will then order you to hand that letter over to me. Alonzo nodded his head and made a gesture for the mail boy to follow him.
Then novice hoped that he would hand over the letter to him directly, but if he wouldn't then Lord Andre might have to order him to give up the letter.
Maybe by remaining calm Alonzo had already convinced him to give him the letter.

OOC: Okay, umm.. this might take a bit longer for me to reply. Thing is, the story is in a rather critical point, with Salandril's letter, and Iorek's investigation, I really need to figure out a way to make this more, I don't know.. better, to form a good ending. I can make or break it now, and I'm wracking my brains to make it. Please excuse the delay. =/

no prob :) surprise us with a good twist
long time no post of bartacus

Khass has vanished again :(
The good thing is we didn't create a whole forum for RPing like I had first suggested :)
Just announcing I might not be able to respond even if the game goes on from the 4th of August till the 27th as I'm not sure I will have an internet connection for that period.

No problem, we will wait for you just like we have waited and will wait for khazz

Back
Top Bottom