BG3 Baldur's Gate 3 delayed - will not launch in August

Baldur's gate 3
Talking about an EA start date as a "release date" is weird. It was never a release date. I'm kind of glad it won't be this month because I don't want the temptation of getting an EA game.

Not disappointed as I don't play EA games as most know. I also expected this announcement if you follow a few Twitter accounts this week as well.:)

Talking about an EA start date as a "release date" is weird. It was never a release date. I'm kind of glad it won't be this month because I don't want the temptation of getting an EA game.

Unhappily this practice is kinda being "institutionalized" more and more (EA date meaning "release date").
I agree with in all points :)

Yeah, totally agree. Couldn't care less about an early access start. I think it should be made more clear in headlines of threads and news that stuff is actually just early access.
Ofc there is some people interested, so it's worth to be mentioned, but it's unnecessary to get people's hopes up, just to then disappoint them.

Unhappily this practice is kinda being "institutionalized" more and more (EA date meaning "release date").
I agree with in all points :)
Yep Steam puts the release date as when EA starts. Gets confusing over time.

I think they adjust it…maybe not always.

Mobygames doesn't. I even created a thread back then because I found it misleading:
https://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,4/dgm,240638/
Yeah I can see that getting confusing as heck also. As for Steam they probably do change the date but it doesn't help if you don't realize the game is only on EA.

One example is MB:Bannerlord Release Date:Mar 30, 2020. Still on Early Access.

Last edited:
I thought that was way too soon for it as it was. How long have they been working on it?

I thought that was way too soon for it as it was. How long have they been working on it?
One of the interviews said it's been a few years at least? Though it will probably only be the prologue or first act on EA when it does eventually release on EA.

The full release will be late 2021 or sometime in 2022.

I like Larian and I usually defend them from doomsayers that predict/hope BG3 will be a bad game, but they dropped the ball allowing it to go into EA. They don't need this crap. BG3 deserved a full-fledged, world-wide release whenever the game is fully ready, not this amateur crap "we'd love to get your feedback as we develop it".

You have in your hands what many consider the flagship of computer RPGs, dammit. Don't tell me you need random nerds to help you with the direction the game will take. Who will you listen to? The vocal minorities? Those who are loudest and have an agenda? Or perhaps those who choose to spoil their own fun by participating in the EA? Because let me tell you, none of those represent your potential audience in the least. Is that the best you can do? Just do what you're being paid to do, with your own ideas and your own talent, and stop this fall from grace while you're still in time.

I fear for BG3 now more than I have ever before that it will become a bastardized spawn halfway between fanservice and mainstreaming, and it would be a ginormous shame to see that happen.

It's for feedback but they sure as hell want more money for development. Though I don't know if Larian is funding the game, or how much the publisher gave them?

Edit: They are funding the game themselves with support from investors.

Last edited:
I like early access and wish all games had it. Getting a chance to fiddle around with a game I’m looking forward to earlier isn’t a bad thing in my book.

Also BG3’s success or failure doesn’t affect the first 2 games.

Both Divinity: Original Sin's had early access and turned into better games because of it. Of course D:OS 2 would of been better if they had listened to the armor system feedback but a lot of systems were improved regardless.

The whole concept of a developing sequel to a game from 2000 is based on fan service. Doesn't have anything to do with how good the game will or will not be.

Never been a fan of Early Access games but understand why developers use it. Also wish Larian good luck as it will be hard to please the die-hard fans of the original games.:)

Back
Top Bottom