HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Necromunda: Underhive Wars has been released:

Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Dive into the Necromunda World ... like never before
Deep below the nightmarish, polluted hive cities of Necromunda, in the twisted, vertiginous, dark tunnels of the Underhive, rival gangs fight to the bitter end for personal power, wealth, survival and the honour of their Houses. Only the strongest survive.

Lead your own gang in bloody tactical combat
Lead, customize, and grow your gangs of Escher, Goliath, and Orlock. Specialize each member and send them to battle in hazardous dystopian environments. Exploit the terrain in tactical gunfights: climb raised walkways to take advantage, set traps, and ambush foes to force them into bloody melee engagements.

Play solo or up to 4-players online
Learn new skills, loot equipment and bring your evolved gang to 4-player online gang fights.

• Lead and evolve your gangs in this compelling tactical-RPG
  • Follow a rich narrative campaign in the Underhive
  • Engage in immersive and persistent game modes
  • First video game adaptation from mythical tabletop game Necromunda, the most famous Hive World of Warhammer 40,000
  • Play solo or join thrilling 4-way online gang fights
More information.

I've been playing a little bit, and I'm not convinced this game is for me. The tactical combat feels lacking tactical appeal at all. Basically you gang up on enemies and shoot them, scenarios are quite vertical, but it hardly matters, just like cover doesn't seem to matter either and in general it doesn't feel "good" to navigate through the encounters. Scenarios are huge and fights drag on for too long, most of the time spent in getting your units from point A to point B in a desperate caravan of yawns.

It might be early to give it a harsh judgement, but I'm a fan of WH40k and I was looking forward to this after I fully finished the Mordheim game that was released a few years ago from the same developer, and I think Necromunda is a step down from that one.

The pro point which may entice me to force myself to keep playing a bit longer is that the story mode is quite compelling to me so far, but I'm honestly struggling to enjoy the gameplay.

That doesn't sound too optimistic...

Is there loot?
Is there an incentive to investigate the maps or do special things?
Are there timers?
Are there respawns?

That doesn't sound too optimistic…

Is there loot?
Is there an incentive to investigate the maps or do special things?
Are there timers?
Are there respawns?

* There are loot containers in the map, and they are shown in the tactical map without need to discover them, so you can home in to them if you want to.
* Not much incentive at all in exploring the the maps.
* There were no timers in the missions I've played, but
* There seem to be infinite XCom 2 style "reinforcements" when you kill every originally spawned enemy until you escape the map through the exit point. That means that eventually you're gonna have to ignore enemies and run away from them if you ever want the encounter to end.

Hmm..got to say I had little interest in this game before, but I might check it out.

pic.jpg

Instabuy!

join thrilling 4-way online gang fights
Get off my property.

* There seem to be infinite XCom 2 style "reinforcements" when you kill every originally spawned enemy until you escape the map through the exit point. That means that eventually you're gonna have to ignore enemies and run away from them if you ever want the encounter to end.

I haven't played XCOM 2 yet, so I don't know how much I don't like this in Necromunda.
Do you get XP for kills or just for the mission goals?

Looks like I will have to wait for a discount or bundle on this one...

I've been playing a little bit, and I'm not convinced this game is for me. The tactical combat feels lacking tactical appeal at all. Basically you gang up on enemies and shoot them, scenarios are quite vertical, but it hardly matters, just like cover doesn't seem to matter either and in general it doesn't feel "good" to navigate through the encounters. Scenarios are huge and fights drag on for too long, most of the time spent in getting your units from point A to point B in a desperate caravan of yawns.[..]
Thank You for the heads-up! Why is no Warhammer game was made that plays like Fallout Tactics? Ah.. no matter.. Necromunda BOOKMARK DELETED from browser..

I haven't played XCOM 2 yet, so I don't know how much I don't like this in Necromunda.
Do you get XP for kills or just for the mission goals?

Looks like I will have to wait for a discount or bundle on this one…

I'm playing the story mode (or was, I gave up by now, at least for the time being) so progress is gated behind missions and milestones, so no, killing extra enemies didn't give me any benefit. Not even looting them as I don't seem to have a headquarters or squad managing feature, just jump between predetermined missions with cutscenes in between them.

There's a mode in which you create and customise your own squad, but I didn't try it as I thought that was either just to play pointless skirmish battles, or multiplayer, both of which I'm not interested in. I might have been wrong about the purpose of that mode though, but the game is uninstalled now and I don't feel curiosity to install it again to try it.

I've been playing a little bit, and I'm not convinced this game is for me. The tactical combat feels lacking tactical appeal at all. Basically you gang up on enemies and shoot them, scenarios are quite vertical, but it hardly matters, just like cover doesn't seem to matter either and in general it doesn't feel "good" to navigate through the encounters. Scenarios are huge and fights drag on for too long, most of the time spent in getting your units from point A to point B in a desperate caravan of yawns.

It might be early to give it a harsh judgement, but I'm a fan of WH40k and I was looking forward to this after I fully finished the Mordheim game that was released a few years ago from the same developer, and I think Necromunda is a step down from that one.

The pro point which may entice me to force myself to keep playing a bit longer is that the story mode is quite compelling to me so far, but I'm honestly struggling to enjoy the gameplay.

As I recall, Mordheim was also rough around the edges at release. Maybe taking a brake and seeing if they can polish it up in the meantime might be better than forcing yourself through it now. Of course, I may be wrong and it might never get any better.

Back
Top Bottom