Grimoire - Game is Complete

Personally, I don't think I want to give this guy my money.

Well thanks for releasing this game now that im all grown up with a wife and kids and dont have the time to play it anymore, and not when i was young, single and in highschool. Cleve just wait another 30 years,then i'll be retired and the kids will have moved out and i can really dive deep into this one.

Kids? Get them hooked on the game. Problem solved (apart from the wife thing).

pibbur

Did/will this forum really crash when it was found completed?

Yeah went up a few minutes ago - just voted for it. Hope everyone else will too. Whatever the history it certainly deserves to be seen.

Maybe only to see Clive respond to people in the Steam discussion about his game, I shall get a truckload of popcorn when that happens.

The end times are upon us.

Is it really so miraculous, though? Couldn't it just fester unreleased on Greenlight for evermore?

Is it really so miraculous, though? Couldn't it just fester unreleased on Greenlight for evermore?

Yeah that's what I think as well. Seems to me that no one has their hands on the game yet despite it being "finished". No change then really

Yeah, I suspect he's just always thought it would be sold on Steam one day, and has moved suddenly to get in before Greenlight closes. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens after (if) he gets on Steam.

I'm calling it now. After Grimoire is Greenlit, Cleve releases the "superdemo" as an Early Access title so he can continue to work on the remaining nano issues that he just discovered. The full release update will be due in 11 days from Friday.

Think of the Grimoire release date like an asymptote. Each day we get slightly closer to the release date, yet it will always be coming soon. You see, Cleve desperately wants to release Grimoire, but alas it mathematically impossible.

That's not a tardis! The avatar of the little wolf is a Dalek.

I HAVE THE TARDIS!!!!

pibbur who can behave whimsically if he wants to. Or if he doesn't get his act together and behaves rationally. Like a newly ….

Here is me in a Tardis checking to see if the atmosphere is breathable.

Thanks for letting me borrow it pibbur.

Attachments

• IMG_20141120_122947.jpg
    IMG_20141120_122947.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 62
Lol, is it really on steam?? With this thing's reputation, I'm actually amazed they'd touch it with a ten foot cattle prod.

It has a very good reputation amongst those who played the demo of a few years back (and Corwin who played a longer version). Now CB undoubtedly didn't manage expectations well. But if you look at the huge scope & ambition of the game (600+ hours, 244 maps), the dev time doesn't seem so unreasonable for one person. Not dissimilar to a mega project like Dwarf Fortress in fact. And the development was further complicated because CB was a DOS programmer and found the transition to windows very tricky (as many of us did). It took a bit of patching up to get the demo working on win 7 at all. That is surely one reason for the delays.

I don't discount that a lot of people have been offended by trash talk and attitude on forums (mostly more weird than anything else). That is regrettable. But, if you lay that all aside, spending 20 years on a single project shows a commitment that few people would be capable of. And clearly not one that was motivated by financial reward (he got a misearable amount from crowd funding). Of course, we still don't yet know how the final game will work out and it doesn't tend to be a good thing when you don't expose your work in progress to external scrutiny.

Last edited:
Here is me in a Tardis checking to see if the atmosphere is breathable.

Thanks for letting me borrow it pibbur.

Anytime. As long as you stay away from Rose.

pibbur who kindly asks the watchers not to tell the wife that he said that.

PS. Here's an idea: Wouldn't it be great to equip your den like the Tardis. *looking around, examining possibilities.* DS.

... spending 20 years on a single project shows a commitment that few people would be capable of...

I don't see that as a commitment. He can't have spent that much time all those years. If he was really committed, he would have got it out much earlier. And he wouldn't have made all those promises. Methinks.

I'd rather call it stubborness.

pibbur who despite everything has decided to judge the games solely on it's own features.

I don't see that as a commitment. He can't have spent that much time all those years. If he was really committed, he would have got it out much earlier. And he wouldn't have made all those promises. Methinks.

I'd rather call it stubborness.

pibbur who despite everything has decided to judge the games solely on it's own features.

You gotta pay the bills right? And if you think making a game of this magnitude isn't a huge commitment, then… :). How many projects have we seen announced here, that then quietly fade away never to be heard of again? That is because the devs have grossly underestimated the difficulty of producing a finished game, even of much lesser ambition than Grimoire. The whole thing is manic, crazy even, but also I can't help respecting his guts and fortitude and striving for perfection. People don't have to be great in every respect - just one is more than sufficient and more than most of us usually achieve.

Greatness? All I see is a loathsome and unbalanced man that's been winding up RPG communities with a clapped out bit of dreck from the 90s, for the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom