Battlestations: Post your gaming setup

Here's an old Battlestation from almost 15 years ago:

fYU8UtT.jpg

I have no idea how I gamed comfortably on that thing.

Heh, yeah that looks like a typical 90s "here you got 1,5 m² in the living room" setup. ^^

Well, then. Will not hold back with my own history of battle stations then. ^^

1994:
battle1994.jpg

2001:
battle2001.jpg

2005:
battle2005.jpg

2008:
battle2008.jpg

2016-now
battle2016.jpg

Heh, yeah that looks like a typical 90s "here you got 1,5 m² in the living room" setup. ^^

Well, then. Will not hold back with my own history of battle stations then. ^^

1994:
battle1994.jpg

Is that a C64? Old school awesome.

I'm going to have to find pictures of my 386 and old TI-99, but I don't think cameras were invented yet...

Is that a C64? Old school awesome.

I'm going to have to find pictures of my 386 and old TI-99, but I don't think cameras were invented yet…

Yep, that's my original "brotkasten". The beer is my father's though. ^^

Unfortunately don't have any pics of my 386, which was still in a horizontal case, being placed under the monitor.

In 94 i had no furniture and sat on the floor with my pc and monitor. In 99 I still had no furniture and sat on the floor with my computer but 6 months into 99 i managed to buy a table and chair !

I totally played my commodore 64 while I sat on a bean bag on the floor, when I lived in Augusta, Georgia back in the day. Now I pretty much dominate the entire living room with my rig. =p

Cool seeing those older setups :) Wish i had some photos of my old PC 386 setup, Amiga or C64, that would have been really fun to have.

My current space station (last pic is in the other end of the room - LG B7V 55" OLED connected to PC and PS4 Pro)

SAfELdc.jpg

Great lighting and colors in these shots! Makes it even more sad that you don't have shots from the old PC ^^

I almost envy you for this big empty wall. ^^
I don't have enough wall real estate to put on all the crap I want to…

I have all these plans that i'm putting on hold since i'll be moving soon :(

Here's the most recent setup, complete with Aela The Huntress keeping it all safe:

3qbVboE.jpg

My current space station (last pic is in the other end of the room - LG B7V 55" OLED connected to PC and PS4 Pro)

SAfELdc.jpg

Aww i'm envious. I have no room for a big screen where I am right now. I'm waiting for my rent lease to be up so I can move somewhere bigger. I love those LG panels.

27" is too small imo, at least if you also want 4k resolution (or there around). The text on my 34" monitor is really tiny in 3440x1440.

I think the 55" is too big because i had some kind of idea that i could also play mouse+keyb based games on that thing, but no, it's too big to sit that close. 40-42" had been perfect.

My modest setup at my current modest abode:

SA1UoXb.jpg

Also, I agree that a big screen is important - especially for immersion.

However, to me, 4K is way too expensive in terms of performance cost - and I'm very happy with my compromise.

4K is really not THAT important at all. I got the OLED mostly because its as good as it gets when it comes to picture quality (deep blacks, great color, HDR).

In the living room i have a 124" projector screen (1080p 3D projector) which i use mainly just for 3D movies, but it's nice for PC games too once in a while. I also use an older 720p BENQ projector for 3D vision games, but it's been a while since i hooked that one up. 3D Vision is really cool though, played a lot of Witcher 3 with it, absolutely insane depth in the picture, looks like mountains really are miles away from you. Heights are far more terrifying too. I don't mind the least that it's played in 720p only, still looks incredible. To play on that vs OLED, tough call to be honest!

Most software I use scale fonts correctly; though I know that some games amazingly have difficulty in that department. The reason you want 4k is hdr. hdr does not require 4k but the market is compression. Heck many 27 inch monitors made today are actually 4k panels with drivers that limit them to 1440p. Sounds odd but think about it - is it cheaper to have one production run at 4k or two production runs one at 1440p AND one at 4k. What happens is that it becomes cheaper to combine everything so it is more likely they will release 4k hdr monitors well before 1440p 4k monitors (1080p @ 27 inch doesn't cut it imho).

So.... that's why we want 4k 27inch instead of 1440 27inch for an oled panel. We presume the oled 4k panel will support full hdr and don't expect one at 1440p.

27" is too small imo, at least if you also want 4k resolution (or there around). The text on my 34" monitor is really tiny in 3440x1440.

I think the 55" is too big because i had some kind of idea that i could also play mouse+keyb based games on that thing, but no, it's too big to sit that close. 40-42" had been perfect.

I have a HDR 4K TV - and I've yet to detect the difference between HDR and non-HDR. I'm sure it's there, though - I just can't see it.

Back
Top Bottom