XBOX Elite Controller is absolute crap

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭&#12004
Just see it as a warning.. I wanted to buy a bit of a premium controller for the PC since i do use a controller quite a lot (for any third person action RPG game etc). Here in Sweden it costs over 1300kr which is like over $145, so quite expensive.

First off, i should have done more reading, but it's also a controller which has gotten a lot of positive reviews, "best controller ever made" etc. I guess these were the reviews i saw when i bought it (some 7-8 months ago..)

It does feel good to hold, absolutely. It could probably be considered the best there (i've used ps3,ps4, various xbox 360 controllers in the recent years).

On to the problems.. Magnets! What a brilliant idea. Not. For some reason you can switch out stuff on the controller, and it gives you a very slight different feel for the various triggers and pads etc. problem is if you drop the controller or just handle it roughly stuff comes flying off in no time. This removes all the positive effects when it comes to "feel", because feel is also about having something that feels very sturdy, that you dont have to worry about stuff falling apart when gaming. This is the exact opposite of that, an old 360 controller feels super sturdy in comparison.

USB contact / cable going into the controller - absolute crap. It usually stays put, but it can glitch (every time i just carefully pick up the controller i usually get some message in Windows, "controller disconnected" (or whatever) and i have to fiddle a bit with the cable/mini-usb contact, then wait for windows to find it again. Awful. Never had that problem with other controllers.

Now it seems like it has died completely. Windows can't find anything if i connect it. Tried uninstalling all drivers for it (usually a good idea when USB devices fails) to let windows find it again properly (tried other USB ports too) but no go..

So yes, avoid this controller. I'll give it a 5/10 when it actually works, it feels good to hold but its also like holding something that at any moment can have parts flying off because you pushed a little wrong on something or you managed to drop it etc). On the whole (taking price into account and that the quality overall is crap) it's more like a 1/10.

..actually it works with a wireless transmitter (specifically for the xbox controller, standard blutooth does not work). seems like the input for the mini-usb finally broke completely and its not possible to run it via USB-cable (my preference since i hate things that runs on battery).

still, really bad controller for the price imo.. don't believe the hype.

No, overall the xbox elite or latest xbox controller is considered the best by most, and i do agree.. i have a PS4 Pro and i've used its controller a bit for PC too, but i must say i do prefer the xbox controller.. even the older one which came with Oculus Rift is preferable imo. But it's not like the PS4 controller awful or anything, its perfectly fine.

So the elite is the best but it is worthless or fatally flaw or something like that. Guess we should all stick with kb/m. Pity games on the console aren't design to work with kb/m connected to the console ;)
--
Having said that I wonder if console version of Divinity original sin (1,2) would work well with kb/m if you connected such to the console ?

No, overall the xbox elite or latest xbox controller is considered the best by most, and i do agree.. i have a PS4 Pro and i've used its controller a bit for PC too, but i must say i do prefer the xbox controller.. even the older one which came with Oculus Rift is preferable imo. But it's not like the PS4 controller awful or anything, its perfectly fine.

It's all about personal preference when it comes to gamepads. Personally, the PS4 controller wins hands down for me. I've never liked the feel of Microsoft's controllers, and I vastly prefer the position of the analog sticks on Sony's gamepads.

I've never liked the feel of Microsoft's controllers, and I vastly prefer the position of the analog sticks on Sony's gamepads.
Same here.

For a PC controller I just use a relatively cheap Logitech controller*. It emulates an XBox controller (you can switch this on and off via a switch on the controller) and the sticks are in the same position as PlayStation controllers. I've never understood the point of asymmetric controllers.

[*Logitech Gamepad F310 - there is a wireless version as well. It only gets used in racing or fighting games, neither of which I really play much of these days.]

[*Logitech Gamepad F310 - there is a wireless version as well. It only gets used in racing or fighting games, neither of which I really play much of these days.]

I used to have one. It's a solid controller for the price. I replaced mine with a Dualshock 4 because I wanted to go wireless, and I planned on eventually having a PS4.

yeah it's very much personal preference. The PS4 thumbpads are more lose or flimsy, which some people might prefer. I don't. I also like the more compact feel of the xbox controller.

The elite one, like i wrote; my main problem with it is 1) price 2) really shitty quality.
It's a total disgrace that such an expensive gamepad should break this easily, i would never recommend it due to this, even though the feel itself is top notch. Magnets is also a worthless idea, imho. The normal xbox one controller is fine, or PS4 one.. been ages since i tried dedicated PC gamepads, i have one (Logitech), but it's like from the N64 era or slightly after :D

Sure.

Used a cheap wired xbox controller (1st gen) for 4 years but then the cable broke. At first it would be stuck in sending the same command all the time, unless I positioned the cable in a specific way. It worked for a while until it broke completely.

Now I'm using a steam controller, even with xbox controller games. It works well enough, even with the right touch pad as alternative right stick. It does feel very robust.

A controller + tv + pc is a great combination.

It's better only for racing games, but a racing wheel is better than controller there. For any kind of shooting, or precise aiming mouse is far superior.

I'm still enjoying my Steam Controllers. Recently played a bit of Dragon's Dogma with one, it was a lot of fun. Only hassle is that the configuration is so deep it can take awhile to get the right trackpad functioning exactly how you like it. Once you get it, though, it's nice, but you might be tweaking it every now and then as you play the game more, and each game is different and requires tweaking. Still, I don't think I could ever go back to an analog stick now, left or right stick. The left trackpad set to "no click", i.e. touchpad mode, where you just touch your thumb to the various directions for movement is so much better than jabbing an analog stick around. And it's just very configurable with all the clicks and multi-functions you can set. Click north on the left trackpad to toggle running, for example, or using the various click directions on the right trackpad to zoom the camera in or out (with "no click" touchpad to move the camera around), and stuff like that. It's got some nice features.

+1 joxer

-1 joxer :)

The steam controller has some impressive configuration options indeed. Including a customizable menu that is overlayed on press of a button (and then you can select an option with the trackpad). The only downside is that complete customization is only possible within steam, luckily this does includes non-steam games started through a shortcut in steam.

Moreover, you usually can use official or community templates for each game, and only need to switch that one button that you don't like. Not much work at all.

Back
Top Bottom