KoA: Reckoning - Answers from the Team

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Another week, another set of Reckoning Answers from the Team. Music, the length and armour "types" are all discussed but I couldn't resist this quote with a gentle dig at Skyrim:
How stressful is it to have a new IP come out in a time where 3 or 4 of the established big named RPGs have been released? Do Reckoning team members plan on playing any or all of the new RPG releases? – By bassglass

A: Not as stressful as you might think! The toughest part has been finding time to play them all – something I’m sure every gamer can appreciate in this crowded season of games. But while we realize we’re entering a field with some excellent titles, we’re certain that there’s space for a new major RPG, because we’re bringing something new to the genre that the players will love. As fond as we are of the other major RPGs out there (and I say that as someone who was a designer for Skyrim before coming to BHG), you don’t realize how important good combat mechanics are for an RPG until you play one where combat is actually exciting. – By Fred "Fizzbang" Zeleny, Narrative Designer
More information.

This was a great Q&A. I liked what they had to say about the exploring.

I have a sinking feeling that Origin is going to be needed to play this. I have no proof of this or read anywhere it said this, but this feeling of dread keeps creeping up on me whenever I read something about this game. It sounds too good even with the actiony combat and I just know EA is going to screw it up somehow. There are only a few EA titles where they haven't screwed up something about the game.

The Sims Medieval was a lot of fun and didn't have 1001 stuff packs associated with it. Dragon Age: Orgins was great, but that was mostly finished by the time EA took over. No time to screw it up. If Origins is associated with this game then that's it for me. I'll have to pass.

Edit: On second thought it will be a good excuse for me to finally learn written Chinese. I've been procrastinating with that for years now so what the hell, I'll learn it just so I can use that dang Origins :p

What's the deal with Origins? It's basically just another Steam, isn't it?

I don't plan on getting KoA, but it has nothing to do with the DRM. I just don't see anything that interests me about this game.

As far as these Q&As are concerned, they're a little too convenient if you ask me. They seem set up to tell us exactly what they think we want to hear.

The deal with Origins with me is that it forces it to Chinese. No way to change it.

Also, I already have Steam and Impulse. I don't really want another one. Two is more than enough. I'll buy from GamersGate or GoG whenever possible because the the games are actually downloadable and doesn't use some 3rd party program to play them or better yet actually buy them from the stores.

Like I said though it might just be the kick-in-the-ass I need to learn Chinese chararacters. What better reason than to play a game? :)

There will probably be a crack out so you could probably use that to avoid using Origin.

The game is for sale at Direct2Drive, and AFAIK, there aren't any games that are sold at non-Origin sites that require you to play them through Origin.

The game is for sale at Direct2Drive, and AFAIK, there aren't any games that are sold at non-Origin sites that require you to play them through Origin.
Battlefield 3 requires Origin but is sold at other sites. The same goes for games that use Steamworks.

Other games do that as well. I learned that the hard way when I bought Magicka through Impulse. I still had to use Steam to play it.

Other games do that as well. I learned that the hard way when I bought Magicka through Impulse. I still had to use Steam to play it.

Yes, same goes for Skyrim, just get a random box from the store around the corner but you have to enable it through Steam.

I'm hoping that this will require no Origin since I will not go into another gamestore for my games.

I'm just being a doomsayer. There's been nothing said about Origins. It's just with all this press I can't help but think EA's going to sneak that in at the last minute.

You mean - building up a *great* demand - and then "suddenly" announcing it would require Origin ?

Back
Top Bottom