What games are you playing now?

I'm currently (re)playing Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Rider in between writing an expose and watching sonny watch a Disney movie.
When hubby and his friend return from the WGT next week, said friend will bring me his PS2 so I can *finally* continue my FF X game...!

Heretic = Great game, one of those timeless classics.

FF X = Utter crap imo. 10% gameplay 90% cinematics

Yes, another Heretic fan! WOOT!! Seriously though, it's a great game. It's the one that got me interested in PC gaming.

Currently trying to finish up Darkstar One and getting ready to start Dark Messiah of M&M.

The Heretic/Hexen games are among my all-time favorite games, and only recently they managed to topple Doom 1/2 as the No.s 1 on my most-replayed games ever list. The game that made me want to (and later) buy a PC was Wolf3D.

As far as FFX goes, it's not overly FF, but it managed to keep me entertained so far. Next in line is Kingdom Hearts (haven't played the first one yet)... I'll probably get to that one in 10 years or so. So little time to play games nowadays...

Hey Jaz,

What OS are you playing Heretic on? I just tried installing it(ToD version) on Windows XP but I can't get it to work right. I can start a game but the sound effects are static no matter which option I choose during setup. I have a Sound Blast Audigy 2 ZS.

Are you using Dos Box?

Horror summer!
Starting up softly with Phantasmagoria 1 & 2, bought a GameCube with Resident Evil 0-3+Veronica as well as a Playstation 2 with Fatal Frame 1-3.

2 Worlds - not great but good and stable (with patch 1.3)

Hey Jaz,

What OS are you playing Heretic on? I just tried installing it(ToD version) on Windows XP but I can't get it to work right. I can start a game but the sound effects are static no matter which option I choose during setup. I have a Sound Blast Audigy 2 ZS.

Are you using Dos Box?
I play it without sound, anyway, because it's installed on one of my work computers, but I remember I had the same problem on my 'fun' rig. My favorite remedies against Heretic sound problems under XP :
1. The VDMSound emulator , quite an important tool if you like to play oldtimers as much as I do, and
2. Doomsday engine. This one doesn't just remedy sound, it lets you play the Doom engine game family with improved graphics, among other things - all you need is the orignal game WAD. That's the emulator I have installed on my fun rig.
3. The Legacy engine is not as pretty, but it also lets you play Strife.

I don't like Dosbox all that much - I'm too dumb to get most games working under it (except Arena). The current Box is supposed to run Battlespire, but I haven't figured out how... so I play Battlespire under Qemu (a virtual machine for Linux), and because sound makes the game choppy, I run that one without sound as well.

Oh well, I have played games without sound for years, even in tourneys. Believe me, if you're forced to play an MP shooter without sound, you'll discover a whole new world of visual details :).

I think I'll give that Doomsday engine a try. That's JHeretic right? I think I remember trying it out some years back but at the time they hadn't finished all the models yet. They have new models for all of the monsters now right?

*Edit* Downloaded the latest version of Doomsday and gave it a try, all I can say is wow! I'm looking forward to playing JHeretic in my spare time, I'm ashamed to say that I've never actually completed Heretic, but that's going to change in the near future. Didn't download the 3d monster models, I think I like the originals better.

Last edited:
Not actually playing it right now, but thinking of purchasing WarHammer: Mark of Chaos... I'm a big fan of the Total War series and I've heard of WarHammer being compared.

Anyone around here played the game? Have any insights or opinions??

The Heretic/Hexen games are among my all-time favorite games, and only recently they managed to topple Doom 1/2 as the No.s 1 on my most-replayed games ever list. The game that made me want to (and later) buy a PC was Wolf3D.

Almost shamed to say I played through all those games som decade ago. You should
try game called Strife btw. Based on the same engine and enhanced with real rpg elements it was better than them all combined (oh yes I played it through too).
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/strife
As far as FFX goes, it's not overly FF, but it managed to keep me entertained so far. Next in line is Kingdom Hearts (haven't played the first one yet)... I'll probably get to that one in 10 years or so. So little time to play games nowadays...

I started from FF1 som year ago and Im currently on FF4. It gives a unique perspective to the whole series to play through those old games and they are fun too. Many have new versions as GBA games. 10 years is a good estimate. :)

Not actually playing it right now, but thinking of purchasing WarHammer: Mark of Chaos... I'm a big fan of the Total War series and I've heard of WarHammer being compared.

Anyone around here played the game? Have any insights or opinions??

It was released unfinished with limited content and lots of bugs. I returned it immediatly to get my money back. Dunno what the patch status is but its still nowhere as good as total war.

EDIT: I found this from the MoC boards:

Hey all. You guys probably don't remember me, I tested the beta "back in the day", but seeing how horribly things went I never really bought MoC.

Anyways, a new modification has begun for Medieval 2 Total War set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. You can see more details at Totalwar.org. Combined with the total war engine and Warhammer's universe, I'd imagine this mod will be everything we wanted from MoC.

It's made more progress than most other major modifications. There are a few early screenshots of the Tomb Kings.

Just thought I'd show this to you guys.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=225

Last edited:
I started from FF1 som year ago and Im currently on FF4. It gives a unique perspective to the whole series to play through those old games and they are fun too. Many have new versions as GBA games. 10 years is a good estimate. :)

FF4 is a fantastic game. I've played all the FF games(except FFIII) up untill FFX.

FF IV, V, and VI are definitely classics. Like many FF fans, I feel the series started going downhill with FF VII.

Downloaded the latest version of Doomsday and gave it a try, all I can say is wow! I'm looking forward to playing JHeretic in my spare time, I'm ashamed to say that I've never actually completed Heretic, but that's going to change in the near future. Didn't download the 3d monster models, I think I like the originals better.
Same here, I play with the original monsters.
Almost shamed to say I played through all those games som decade ago. You should try game called Strife btw. Based on the same engine and enhanced with real rpg elements it was better than them all combined (oh yes I played it through too.http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/strife
I played all those game ever since they came out, Strife included. It's a great game; I really like the comic book style NPC portraits and cutscenes, the interesting setting and the multiple endings, though it was even easier for me to get lost there than in the Hexen addon.

As for FF, I started with FFVI (III) and never played one of the older games... yet.

I'm just trying the demo so far. With my list of wanted games I'm not sure I can buy Penumbra right now or if it's a high priority. It seems nice - but if I really enjoy it I'll likely buy it as soon as I can (read: some months from now).

I just finished it. Interestingly enough that area where the demo takes place isn't even in the full game. The full version is also much better than the demo would lead you to believe.

Thanks Zakhal. That's great info. I'll follow up on it. :)

As for FF, I started with FFVI (III) and never played one of the older games... yet.

You should play the first one. The one that put Squaresoft (Square Enix) on the RPG map.

I think it was the best console rpg for that time.
It was on the NES. 1990 if I remember correctly.
It should've been the only one called Final Fantasy.
The others of that series should've been called something else because they had nothing to do with the 1rst one.

Anyway, in short, it kept me entertained, it was fun, the story was original and I played it again once more then 10 years later on my Ps2 when they released it with FF2 in the Final Fantasy compilation called Final Fantasy Origins on the PS1.

It's a worthwhile game. You should try it.

Last edited:
Still playing SC. I heart nukes

nuke2.gif

Oh yeah baby, You know what Commander Sammy likes...

Well, I thought I'd be playing UFO:ET by now. Had the game last night. FRICKIN DVD DRIVE WON'T READ A DVD!!! You've got to be kidding me!!! Tried to update the firmware, with no luck so far. After taking my entire box apart to figure out what was going on, I switched the CD:RW master to a slave (and DVD to master), unplugged it completely, and now the firmware update says a DVD8160B update isn't right for a DVD8160B player. Just a bit frustrated I is. About ready to go to WallyWorld and spend $50 I don't have to get a new DVD-R and start over, I is. Almost ready to buy an XBox, I is... OK, maybe not that bad.

hey xSamhainx did you ever play the high quality fan made antioch chronicles? they were seriously almost as good as the original campaign. its ashame part 3 never got made though. but at least starcraft 2 is coming up.

finished playing stalker -9 last night after i'm guessing easily over 60 plus hours. i never joined duty or freedom but had them both as friends since i couldn't rationalized becoming enemies with either when there were so many other hostile factions already. i really enjoying the game though for some reason chernobyl was the least exiciting. it only crashed on me once thankfully except for repeated save crashes in pripyat and chreynobl but i only wasted and hour or so on figuring out which areas to avoid in those 2 zones (ie not save or loot near certain bodies). as usual i probably wasted far too many hours hoarding my loot and restricting my armour usage but its all good. the game was an awesome experience and will surely be worth a replay in the future.

before that was dark messiah-8.5. short and linear but still a mighty fun game. while the choices in the game were limited to grim reaper decisons i still loved the level design and the freedom to traverse it. if i thief 4 is ever made i hope either arkane or irrational gets to do it.

and ever further from the rpg world was king kong-7.5. i never saw the movie so i guess that probablly made the game more novel/enjoyable. some parts were tedious but also there were some really swell parts. i love stick weapons so the spears/broken spears and the ability to use bait and fire with them made the experience a worthwhile one for me. i recommend it to anyone who likes action/adventure games though probably not up a fps fan's allley. adrien brody's voice still haunts me though "_ magazines on backup".

not sure what's next...

I got a copy of Day Watch (PC) last week ... don't have to review it as it turns out so I can decide if I want to play it all. It has the same engine and turn-based combat system, better interface, but terrible translations and worse 'cutscenes' than the original.

The rest of the time is dominated by the fantastic Etrian Odyssey (DS) and the middling Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon (PSP). I'll be glad when *that* one is done - the farming stuff was decent, but when you can automate everything there just isn't much game left ...

Back
Top Bottom