What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Finally got to see Ex Machina and liked it so much I watched it twice
My movie of the year

Watched Mad Max: Fury Road a few nights ago.

I gotta say, after seeing so many positive comments about it, I was pretty disappointed. The FX were good, and some of the characters were fairly interesting, but the plot and the movie in general were just plain silly for the most part.

On the big screen in 3D and with good sound (Dolby Atmos)? If not, I'm sorry, but you missed out. :p

Otherwise, dude, you need to get in touch with your inner child more. ;)

On the big screen in 3D and with good sound (Dolby Atmos)? If not, I'm sorry, but you missed out. :p

Otherwise, dude, you need to get in touch with your inner child more. ;)

Considering how childish it was, you're probably right. ;)

As a pure action flick, it's not bad, and I agree that something is lost by not seeing it in a theatre. Still, that wouldn't have changed how I felt about the plot.

The Outer Limits all Seasons. Its freaking awesome. Every episode its a different story with new actors. Kind like Twilight zone but much newer, then every season some of old episodes are crossing paths kind a background which is even cooler.
9/10

Considering how childish it was, you're probably right. ;)

As a pure action flick, it's not bad, and I agree that something is lost by not seeing it in a theatre. Still, that wouldn't have changed how I felt about the plot.

Did you realize that there were earlier movies in the series? Have you watched them in the last 25 or so years and thought about the plot or acting or characters or ... well, shit, pretty much ANYTHING?

I mean, sure, I would put this as my 3rd fave in the series, above the abysmal 'Thunderdome' crapfest ... but those initial couple of movies were not exactly grand artistry ;)

Did you realize that there were earlier movies in the series? Have you watched them in the last 25 or so years and thought about the plot or acting or characters or … well, shit, pretty much ANYTHING?

I mean, sure, I would put this as my 3rd fave in the series, above the abysmal 'Thunderdome' crapfest … but those initial couple of movies were not exactly grand artistry ;)

Geez…no. You mean there were previous movies called Mad Max? I've never heard of them. ;)

Seriously though, The Road Warrior was really cool… when I was 12. :)

Still, the plot of that movie was far more plausible than Fury Road. You didn't have Max and a dozen chicks taking on an army of bloodthirsty maniacs by themselves.

I gotta say, after seeing so many positive comments about it, I was pretty disappointed. The FX were good, and some of the characters were fairly interesting, but the plot and the movie in general were just plain silly for the most part.

I refused to watch the movie when it was still hot, never planned to watch it anyway and I choose to trust you.

Maybe, when meet up with some friends over a nonboring nobrainer movie, I'll do watch it. But if I understand you correctly, MM4 is not a must watch before you die material.

I refused to watch the movie when it was still hot, never planned to watch it anyway and I choose to trust you.

Maybe, when meet up with some friends over a nonboring nobrainer movie, I'll do watch it. But if I understand you correctly, MM4 is not a must watch before you die material.

It's not a bad movie. I just think it was overhyped.

I think it was under hyped and that is why I was surprised how good it was. I have seen a lot worst action films and this one was surprising a lot of fun. 100% better than the new Terminator.

I'm not sure how you could think it was under hyped with as much attention as it received.

Under hyped in the way it wasn't in my face 24-7 like some other movies before it came out. I think there was more hype after of people that really liked it ... maybe you thought it was going to better because most people here that posted about really liked it.

Geez…no. You mean there were previous movies called Mad Max? I've never heard of them. ;)
:D

Seriously though, The Road Warrior was really cool… when I was 12. :)

I loved - and STILL love - The Road Warrior, which I saw with a bunch of friends in high school who all loved the original Mad Max and we were able to even drive to see it :) I will always love the first two - they are an entrenched part of my high school years.

Still, the plot of that movie was far more plausible than Fury Road. You didn't have Max and a dozen chicks taking on an army of bloodthirsty maniacs by themselves.

Exactly - because in Road Warrior you had the singular clan that dominated the entire wasteland led by a single person, with no visible resources or means of support, camped out endlessly against a besieged camp with perhaps two competent fighters.

My point - you don't really come for the story to begin with. :)

I honestly thought based on the trailer it was going to be absolute shite ... the fact that it wasn't was a pleasant surprise. My wife (who actually suggested we go) will never sit through it again, and honestly I don't care either.

My point here is that sure it got loads of attention, but leading into it the movie looked like pure fluff, and there was actually more to it than that.

Exactly - because in Road Warrior you had the singular clan that dominated the entire wasteland led by a single person, with no visible resources or means of support, camped out endlessly against a besieged camp with perhaps two competent fighters.

My point - you don't really come for the story to begin with. :)

I guess that depends on the person. I like to have some degree of plausibility even with fiction, and I'm talking about things that are a little more obvious than wondering where someone got their resources.

In The Road Warrior, you had a group of people breaking through their attackers in an attempt to escape, and it was at least plausible because they were a well-armed caravan of battle-hardened survivors.

In Fury Road, you have Max, Theron's character, 4 half-naked "breeders", and a handful of old women on motorcycles taking on an entire army of warriors. It was just a little too far-fetched for me.

I didn't want to see it, either, but I thought it was an impressive piece of filmmaking.

I didn't object to the simplified and preposterous plot - I took it to be a choice to be stylised like a graphic novel, not meant to be taken literally, like a biblical epic or a Greek myth. I think it was an entirely different sort of film than the grittier early entries.

Back
Top Bottom