Black Geyser - Backer Beta on July 3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Backer Beta for Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness begins on July 3:

Greetings, adventurers!

The Backer Beta has been ready for several days, and it's bigger than we initially planned!

Having said that, as with every beta, it contains bugs - some of which we don't know about and you will hopefully help us to find. Also, it lacks several features, refinements and performance optimizations that didn't make it to the beta but will be present in the final game.

Getting the Beta on Steam and GOG store pages takes much longer than the official information we received about it before. Therefore, we decided today that we will be shipping the Backer Beta directly to the eligible backers (those of you who pledged at the Early Access reward tier and above, or chose the Backer Beta add-on).

Regarding Steam and GOG, everything seems to be on the right track, so the Beta will eventually be available on GOG and Steam as well (depending on whether you have specified a GOG or a Steam key in BackerKit). In the meantime, however, we will ship the Backer Beta as a direct download.

This process will begin on the 3rd of July at the latest and will take a couple of days. We will notify every backer whose reward tier included the Backer Beta via email with instructions on how to receive the installer. If you don't receive such an email until 6th July, please send us a message on Kickstarter or via our contact forms.
More information.

Good to see some progression, just a shame my tier level didn't include the Beta.

This is pulling my cynic chains (yes I admit I'm a cynic) and makes me think they are giving Epic games more time to negotiate for an exclusive before they get it out on GOG or Steam.

Evidence: absolutely none, just me being leery of today's video game world

This is pulling my cynic chains (yes I admit I'm a cynic) and makes me think they are giving Epic games more time to negotiate for an exclusive before they get it out on GOG or Steam.

Evidence: absolutely none, just me being leery of today's video game world

If this goes to Epic, I'm going to wait till it gets released on Steam or GoG.

If this goes to Epic, I'm going to wait till it gets released on Steam or GoG.
Agree somewhat as I don't hate using Epic just prefer DRM-Free on GOG.:nod:

"if all goes well" and perfectly as planned, the game should be released before the end of 2020."

Keeping my fingers crossed for this (and for good impressions from the beta) ;)

I completely forgot about this one and how similar it used to look to Pillars of Eternity :D.

I really hope it turns out well. We need more isometric RPG's!

I didnt back it unfortunately but i'm following it close. it looks very good.

If you like Baldur's Gate style dialogue, NPCs and party interactions, you'll like those things in Black Geyser.

If you like Baldur's Gate style dialogue, NPCs and party interactions, you'll like those things in Black Geyser.
You played the long promised but often delayed Beta then? I'd love to read more of your opinion if you did. As the developer has many red flags that don't put me at ease.o_O

Haven't played it, but I'm contributing a ton of the dialogue* under the direction of the lead narrative designer. I imagine we're going to be seeing a whole lot of opinions as soon as this hits the digital shelves, but the lead dev is heavily committed to a BG-style game. They even have the same initials!

*caution: opinion may be biased

Haven't played it, but I'm contributing a ton of the dialogue* under the direction of the lead narrative designer. I imagine we're going to be seeing a whole lot of opinions as soon as this hits the digital shelves, but the lead dev is heavily committed to a BG-style game. They even have the same initials!

*caution: opinion may be biased

It's just my theory but these guys are so concerned with strange things - like keeping the game name initials as "BG" even at a cost of actual game name sounding hillariously bad. And the game icon looking like Black Isle's.

Finally watched a Beta stream and it's not that bad.

Just ignore the commentary by the player.

It definitely looks like a PoE clone and that's fine with me.:)

Last edited:
There's another live stream going on Twitch. I don't have to time to watch 4 hours worth of it so I skipped through it. The mine area look VERY similar to Nashkel mines.

There's another live stream going on Twitch. I don't have to time to watch 4 hours worth of it so I skipped through it. The mine area look VERY similar to Nashkel mines.
Yep BG & PoE seem to be it's inspiration. :nod:

Hopefully no assets were reused or stolen.

Do you have the twitch link?

Edit: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/670880063?

That Twitch stream lasted 5 hours - anyone watched the whole thing?

Some things I noted while skipping through:
-Character model animations look awkward/stilt
-Frame rates dropping low often
-Some contents were shown previously (I think about a year ago?)
-4-5 hours gameplay and only 3 party members? :/ I think Geyser let 5 max party members

Hopefully no assets were reused or stolen.

Yes, hopefully not @Couchpotato;

I hope it will be a fun & decent game - and get released within a reasonable timeframe (by Q4 2020 as they hinted).

It's just my theory but these guys are so concerned with strange things - like keeping the game name initials as "BG" even at a cost of actual game name sounding hillariously bad.
.... that was a joke.

Back
Top Bottom