Torchlight III - Now Available in Early Access

Sigh another EA game. I'll wait for the full release and player opinions.:(

I'm sure it is a good game for those who like ARPGs. I'll pass because I know I will get bored after a few hours and I don't like the comic graphics that much.
I might give Diablo IV a try alone because it is proper grimdark again.

first impressions aren't good from what i've seen. Looks like a dumbed down version of t2. Anybody is playing this?

I will consider buying AFTER they finish the game. I'm sick of unfinished games, not to speak of the abandoned ones...

first impressions aren't good from what i've seen. Looks like a dumbed down version of t2. Anybody is playing this?

I am, and it is basically a somewhat upgraded T2. That's not a knock, btw.

The graphics do seem a tad less "cartoony", but others may disagree. The only real issue, and the primary reason for the negative reviews, is getting into the server since EA is multiplayer only. I managed to get in on the third try. Some think opening it to EA without an offline option is a huge mistake, and I can sort of agree with that, though it's clearly stated that it's currently only available for multiplayer, so anyone complaining about it and putting up negative reviews because of it aren't justified since they didn't bother to read.

I do like it so far, but I'm not very far into it and again, yes, it feels very much like T2, which to me is a positive.

Another Torchlight game and another beta...
Count me out.

The reviews are pretty bad so far.

Negative reviews: Game play's like a mobile game: short levels, simplistic UI, slow moving.
Positive reviews: The negative reviews are stupid, server issues are the norm.

:rolleyes:

Uhm... Ok. I'll wait and see.

Played the Torchlight III alpha, this will be a hard pass for me. Didn't find the game enjoyable at all. Install... click click... done this before... uninstall :-(

I replayed the Switch version of Torchlight II and found it absolutely amazing at how well it held up and how great the port felt. So I am inclined to be sympathetic to Torchlight III, but ...

Whatever they originally planned came across as pure garbage, and this reverse-course set off a number of red flags for me. I am not willing to pay $30 to be a tester for this thing when there are so many good games actually worth playing right now.

I will continue to keep an eye on this one, but will likely wait for a deep sale to check it out unless some compelling reason to try it emerges. And based on what I am hearing ... that hasn’t happened yet!

Overall Reviews:
Mostly Negative (2,389 reviews) lol
Don't forget this version was supposed to be online and F2P. The developer decided after a few years to change it, but it was to late to change public opinion.

This was supposed to be the year of the arpg, and yet every arpg has been a letdown. What happened? This formula is as old as the 1990s.

Don't forget this version was supposed to be online and F2P. The developer decided after a few years to change it, but it was to late to change public opinion.

There are definitely some reviews I came across that feel 'punitive' perhaps even without playing it ... but a lot that get at what appear to be the remnants of the mobile-centric, freemium model used for the game. And also maybe that they put it into Early Access more than a little bit TOO early.

As I said I love Torchlight II, and took a lot of crap here (OK, at the Dot) for loving Fate that came before

There are definitely some reviews I came across that feel 'punitive' perhaps even without playing it … but a lot that get at what appear to be the remnants of the mobile-centric, freemium model used for the game. And also maybe that they put it into Early Access more than a little bit TOO early.

As I said I love Torchlight II, and took a lot of crap here (OK, at the Dot) for loving Fate that came before
It's exactly what I feared would happen. It was designed as a F2P game but for some reason they changed it during development. Seems some of that is still in the game.:(

It's exactly what I feared would happen. It was designed as a F2P game but for some reason they changed it during development. Seems some of that is still in the game.:(

I think the change was made because they realized (a) F2P is incredibly crowded (b) Torchlight has very little name recognition outside of that niche and (c) that niche has a poor view of F2P games and turned on them for associating the brand with that type of game.

There are definitely some reviews I came across that feel 'punitive' perhaps even without playing it … but a lot that get at what appear to be the remnants of the mobile-centric, freemium model used for the game. And also maybe that they put it into Early Access more than a little bit TOO early.

No worries friend, I liked them too.

I'm really hoping they turn this around and get something like torchlight 2(but better) out....would be a shame if they could not:(

Sadly, the pivot from F2P is clearly late. As such, people will want to pick up the game but it isn't likely to be at launch for full price. Folks will pick it up later at a discount.

No worries friend, I liked them too.
Me three!
(Saint Proverbius - original Codex owner - and I played quite a bit of the first FATE and used to compare items we found on IRC)

rune_74 said:
I'm really hoping they turn this around and get something like torchlight 2(but better) out….would be a shame if they could not:(
I'm also hoping for some improvement. I signed up for the beta (when it was Arc client only) and didn't play it for long. The magic was missing.

Back
Top Bottom