Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Available September 3rd

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Niche Gamer reports that Final Fantasy VIII Remastered will be available September 3rd on Steam.

Square Enix has announced the release date for Final Fantasy VIII Remastered.

The newly remastered classic RPG will launch across Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch on September 3.

Featured above, you can view a new trailer. Here's some new screenshots:

[...]
More information.

A lot of people really like it, especially the card mini-game inside it.

I liked the opening CGI but didn't like it at all after that. As the little picture behind the game name indicates, this is mostly a love story. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy meets girl again, girl loses boy and dog, boy finds dog.... I found the battle system to be terribly dull because, in order to gain power, you have to do little drain-power attacks a LOT.

I'm not a huge fan of this Final Fantasy offering, but I'll likely pick it up during some sale, once it's been out for a few weeks/months. It's been three or four years since I last played this, so the timing should be just about right.

you said:
Is this good or bad ?
I didn't like this as much as FFVII back in the day, but I did play it up to the end boss, where I failed completely. I wasn't interested in grinding (or whatever would be required) to bring me up to strength so never really finished it.
I found the magic system, and requirements for improving power, to be really quite annoying. I still got enjoyment out of it, but have no interest in revisiting it for this reason.

(Suffice it to say I won't be playing the remaster)

I didn't like this as much as FFVII back in the day, but I did play it up to the end boss, where I failed completely. I wasn't interested in grinding (or whatever would be required) to bring me up to strength so never really finished it.
I found the magic system, and requirements for improving power, to be really quite annoying. I still got enjoyment out of it, but have no interest in revisiting it for this reason.

(Suffice it to say I won't be playing the remaster)

There is no need for grinding. Enemies level up together with you. You just REALLY need to know how to use the junction system. The game is not very hard, really, just has a pretty weird system.

I would say it is a mixed bag. Some parts was really enjoyable back in the day.

Not sure how it has aged though.

A big plus is that it has a song by faye wong :) ( it is the best song ( as in some one actually singing ) in a game I know, otherwise there are games which has much better music like FF VI for example. )

Okay, why is it remastered and not being remade like FF7?
Easier to milk this way or what?

Like others, I'm not exactly a huge fan of the junction system within this product. I can tolerate it, but it really doesn't work for me, compared to many other Final Fantasy offerings.

I rank all of the games I play... I gave FF7 a 10 and FF8 a 9.5, so I enjoyed them a lot 20 years ago; surprising considering I've always favored classic PC rpgs such as Ultima/M&M/Wizardry. I played both PC ports w/AA; improved from PS1, but FF8 was still horribly pixelated. Remaster looks so much better... certainly worth the $20 asking price.

I found 7 superior in pretty much every way but I still ended up investing more hours into 8. Probably just a sucker for romance and making spread sheets, for the power gaming.

I know that, at least for me, Final Fantasy VIII suffered from me just having completed the seventh game, so an inevitable comparison was bound to happen. The next time I replay this, I'll make sure that I go into the eighth game cold, and let the product speak for itself.

Back
Top Bottom