Dark Alliance - New D&D Action RPG Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@VentureBeat Dark Alliance is a D&D action RPG announced at the Game Awards.

It's curious why Tuque and Wizards picked Icewind Dale for the setting of this action-RPG. In Salvatore's latest novel, Boundless, Drizzt found himself in a desperate flight against demons and abyssal constructs as his friends once again faced danger at the hands of those seeking power and the death of the renegade drow to appease the evil god Lloth.

Being set so far in the past, I wondered if this signified Wizards of the Coast's newfound interest in telling stories set in any period of the Forgotten Realms, not just the current timeline.

"Dark Alliance is intended to appeal to existing D&D fans who already know and love Drizzt and the companions, but it's also meant to attract new D&D fans through a different platform and style of gameplay. It made more sense to start earlier in the Legend of Drizzt as an entry point for the newer fans," said Nathan Steward, the vice president for Dungeons & Dragons for Wizards of the Coast, over email. "For people who know and love R.A. Salvatore's work, it gives a new adventure for the companions set in between his novels.

[...]
More information.

It’s a four-player co-op action-RPG
... and I'm out. :|
Too bad. Although the Drizzt and companions story is quite stale I would have liked another try on a single player game in the Forgotten Realms.

With the first person perspective in the video and the hordes of enemies, with the party galloping from battle to battle, it could be something like a first person Diablo-like. Interested to see which direction they take it.

I had Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. It was alright. I'd say it was closer to a twin-stick shooter than a diablo clone.

This new game could easily be like that again. There's a few around. That new Darksiders game, etc.

But, from the video, it sort of looks like they might make it into a L4D2 sort of thing like Vermintide?

Looks like a reboot of Dark Alliance. I'll pass.

I'm also surprised that it's not concurrent with current FR. Catti-brie haven't been an archer in years. She's currently a Wizard/Druid and Chosen of Mielikki.

The game stinks of dumbed down console-friendly crap. I don't see how this could ever appeal me, but I'll keep checking the updates.

I've tried the first Dark Alliance, Demon Stone and Daggerdale. I didn't like any of them, so this doesn't excite me at all. I'd rather play another Sword Coast Legends than this... Oh well, fortunately there will be BG3, but I wish they had another proper RPG in the making...

I saw an interview with WotC who said they had almost a dozen D&D games coming out after 2020. I'm sure we'll see more RPGs.

I agree with pretty much all of the replies ... but will track with some interest. I sometimes like a mindless action romp, or whatever this might end up being :)

Hehe, if that was actual gameplay of a game with VR support ... I'd be puking within seconds. I doubt it though. Anyways, I'm interested.

This game is made just because so many people find Drizzt cool. Nothing more.

Yeah I was excited when the developer announced they licensed the IP, but now well it looks like another Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance game with added Co-op.

So basically I expected an RPG but it might not be all that bad hopefully. :(

Last edited:
I'm actually a bit impressed with how the makers of the trailer managed to turn me off so utterly and completely within about 5 seconds. That takes a certain type of talent.

Back
Top Bottom