Most Atmospheric RPGs

I agree about Diablo 1. Very atmospheric game, even today. The mixture of music, dark ambiance and overall presentation creates a very unique and palpable atmosphere.

I second Realms of Arkania, though I would have gone with Star Tail. Arguably a more atmospheric visual representation there (and more fleshed out characters, I'd say).

Daggerfall and Arena are both on my list, though for reasons not even entirely clear to me, I prefer Arena. ;)

Ultima 7 part two. Nothing compares …

This might change on May 19th

I had a great time in Moria. Easily my favorite area in LoTRO. I had the xp stopper thingy for the area as I wanted to explore and experience all of it. The game went downhill after Moria for me but that probably because I liked the area so much. I have a level 100 character somewhere.

Drakensang: River of Time

It is the quintessential TDE Game, it felt like a PNP-Game of my Youth :D
Railroaded by DM-Fiat (TDE Games were like this), but a great Setting^^

From a Gameplay Perspective it's pretty popamole - except if you want to beat Zant without using the seals, then it gets very grindy - don't do this, it's a chore and while the reward is nice, the game gets to easy after that, not because of the reward, but because of the Equipment you have to farm to beat Zant.

I've always wanted to reach Moria in LOTRO. I love most of the game, but my enthusiasm has been steadily shattered by their F2P strategy - and how the game's direction has slowly devolved into something other than what it was.

I still consider it one of the best MMOs ever, though.

I started LotRO and DDO at the same time a few years ago. DDO grabbed me more so I played it for a while. Have wanted to go back to the former but never got around to it. I'm pretty hopeless at making friends in game so I often can't get the best out of MM games added to which now having a wife and kids and not being able to pause the action makes things more difficult. A pity I didn't give it more of a go it seems.

I started LotRO and DDO at the same time a few years ago. DDO grabbed me more so I played it for a while. Have wanted to go back to the former but never got around to it. I'm pretty hopeless at making friends in game so I often can't get the best out of MM games added to which now having a wife and kids and not being able to pause the action makes things more difficult. A pity I didn't give it more of a go it seems.

Switch LOTRO and DDO in your post and your experience perfectly mirrors mine. Every point. It's almost uncanny.

Are you actually alternate universe me???????O_O

Seriously though, I just couldn't get into DDO. Part of the draw of LOTRO for me was the familiarity with the setting and characters. Maybe if DDO was set in Forgotten Realms I would have lasted longer with it.

Arise, I command thee . . .

At the time it was clearly the Gothic series that was most atmospheric. But the first all in game for me was Might and Magic 6.

Now, two years after the last post here, with both Skyrim and Fallout 4 in the mix . . . well. I liked Skyrim a lot but I have put in over 800 hours into Fallout 4. I might have a dozen communities that I have built up in Fallout. I love visiting them and seeing what up. And the way they did respawn in Fallout 4 is almost perfect. It seems natural when you have been away from a location for a while and some of the baddies are back.

None. For the first 3 or 4 hundred hours I just played the game. Then I got a jet pack and while not starting over, just replayed what I had already explored. I have yet to go to the synth lab and make the decision that pretty much gets the game running in the game end mode (where your enemies are pretty much fixed).

Now I am just sandboxing the game. I'm kinda like the roaming Sherriff of the game world. Keeping my townfolk safe from all the evil that is out there. I think just about all of my communities have multi story dwellings with plenty of food and extracurricular stuff to do like watch TV, sit by a campfire, sleep in beds (not sleeping bags). The game metrics regarding happiness factors are kinda messed up but for me that must means this Sherriff has to try harder.

It's hard for me to play narrative open world RPGs. I simply don't want to follow the storyline even if it is a fabulous story (Witcher 3). In reality, I have well over 200 hours in Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Skyrim, and I'm happy getting the game story telling to a certain level and then going off in my own direction.

Arise, I command thee . . .

At the time it was clearly the Gothic series that was most atmospheric. But the first all in game for me was Might and Magic 6.

Now, two years after the last post here, with both Skyrim and Fallout 4 in the mix . . . well. I liked Skyrim a lot but I have put in over 800 hours into Fallout 4. I might have a dozen communities that I have built up in Fallout. I love visiting them and seeing what up. And the way they did respawn in Fallout 4 is almost perfect. It seems natural when you have been away from a location for a while and some of the baddies are back.

Well this was nice to hear as I thought I was the only one to reach those kind of hours in FO4 ... I currently have 1506 but I also have done two mods for FO4 and 5 presets which means added game time for development and testing. Plus I just love playing the game and the atmosphere (Far Harbor being one of my favorites).

I find a modded Skyrim also incredibly atmospheric and have 3140 hours in that game.

Beyond those for games I just really enjoyed the mood and atmosphere of I would say Torment simply because it was very different and rather cool.

Oddly enough I also enjoyed the overall cartoon like atmosphere of WoW as well.

Cartoon Atmospheres don't bother me in the least. Spider games "Fairies" had great cartoon atmospher, but sadly the budget was so cheap there was no voice work at all. So I quess too much reading can be somewhat of an atmosphere breaking distraction . . . Don't hate me Torment fans . . .
:)

Moebius and Windwalker had fantastic atmosphere for the day, especially Windwalker: it was much more streamlined.

Ultima 6: Martian Dreams and Arcanum both have that incredible Steampunk vibe that was only seen in the Wild, Wild West and Space 1889 (and Jules Verne).

My current "atmospheric" top 5̶ 6 would probably be:
The Witcher 1 (chapter 4 especially, but 2 & 3 too)
Gothic 2 Gold (return to the Valley in chapter 2 & addon world in particular)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (pretty much everything)
Morrowind (travel systems + architecture + ancestral tomb sounds)
System Shock 2 (particularly hydroponics & recreation; the best Shock :))
Planescape: Torment (music & all the cool setting/worldbuilding)

My current "atmospheric" top 5̶ 6 would probably be:
The Witcher 1 (chapter 4 especially, but 2 & 3 too)
Gothic 2 Gold (return to the Valley in chapter 2 & addon world in particular)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (pretty much everything)
Morrowind (travel systems + architecture + ancestral tomb sounds)
System Shock 2 (particularly hydroponics & recreation; the best Shock :))
Planescape: Torment (music & all the cool setting/worldbuilding)

Great list. I dare say we have very similar taste when it comes to atmosphere. :)

The only game I wouldn't include there is PS:T. Not because I didn't like it, but I just thought BG and IWD were better in that aspect.

Witcher ...end of thread.
First had stronger OST for it's setting, but third had more of everything...ambiance covers everything : Orchard to Velen, Novigrad, Skellige to Toussaint, all distinctly different from one another.
Not rpgs, but I love the mood in Severance and Max Payne as well.

… Still Drakensang 2 … ;)

I played SWTOR for some time and it has some very good points as well, with most of them - Warning ! : Prejudice by me ! - being rather on the imperial side of the game. The game looks in my personal opinion so much as if all creative design energy went into the imperial side.

Back
Top Bottom