|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic - Series 75% Off on Steam

Default Gothic - Series 75% Off on Steam

February 10th, 2018, 23:00
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You must be thinking of Gothic 3. Neither of the first two games had difficulty settings.
No, but there was a reasonably popular mod from about 2004 called NOTR Customizer that added settings. Maybe he used that, I did in one game.

fragonard

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 10th, 2018, 23:29
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Well most of it. You went kind of Dartish with the wall of text there. I agree with some of your points but you seem to be on a mission to discount the average gamers perception of difficulty. Most people game for fun and dying constantly while exploring and mounting frustration cause many to give up on a game like Gothic. Not sure how you donít see that. Itís what is killing Elex as well. No amount of willful denial is going to improve reviews or sales numbers. After about 10 hours of off quest solo exploring I called it quits. Could I keep going? Sure. But it simply isnít fun. The average gamer has a lot less patience than I do.
K….

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

February 10th, 2018, 23:58
And I thought I was a PB fanboy.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

February 11th, 2018, 00:34
Ehhhh… I'd say more of a "hardcore RPG" fan in general. But I do love PB's stuff.

Deleted User

February 11th, 2018, 03:30
I have Risen 2 & 3 sitting in my Steam queue. I'll eventually give them a shot. Can't wait for the stun lock
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2018, 05:01
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
To me, G1 & 2 seemed inspired by 1990s style RPGs like Ultima, but with updated graphics (for their day) and 3D worlds. But the gothic games kept that vibe of "this world is dangerous." Contrast that to contemporary games where players are used to scaling and you can for the most part mow through areas without much difficulty. As much as I loved the Witcher 3, combat never seemed hard (on hardest difficulty). To me, early RPGs contrasted to contemporary ones are like comparing black and white movies from the 1940s to your latest blockbuster movieÖ generations are separated apart and the more time that goes by, the more that bridge between generations crumbles. I for one, never liked watching old black and white movies, though I'm told by those who love them I'm really missing out on a lot of great contentÖ
Maybe I've had a little too much wine, but I feel like there is a beautiful truth to this post.

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 12th, 2018, 02:08
Fluent is BG1 worth picking up just for DragonSpear? Do I need to play the OC to access that content? Not sure I'm ready yet for another round of BG's OC.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2018, 02:20
Fluent is BG1 worth picking up just for DragonSpear? Do I need to play the OC to access that content? Not sure I'm ready yet for another round of BG's OC.
I'm not sure if it's standalone or not. You can select the campaign at the menu screen of BG:EE so I guess it is?

BG is worth picking up for Dragonspear + mod content, IMO. There's some cool quest content like The Drizzt Saga, The Sandrah Saga and more. Mods add new areas, there's several new NPCs you may want to try (Finch + Isra are cool) and other tweaks like SCS which improves encounters and makes battles more tactical (improves enemy types like trolls, spiders, etc., makes the AI better.) There's lots of cool stuff.

That's not mentioning the big mod, EET, which combines the trilogy into one continuous game. I like it quite a bit so far for keeping things consistent and at least giving the feeling that you're playing one huge, consistent campaign. So I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Not sure how someone who's played a ton of BG would feel. I only completed BG:EE once a few years back.

Deleted User

February 12th, 2018, 11:08
Do I need to play the OC to access that content?
No, you can start SoD with a new party if you want, although it does require BG1EE to be installed.
Last edited by JDR13; February 12th, 2018 at 11:29. Reason: Typo

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

February 12th, 2018, 14:09
I still have the trilogy gathering dust somewhere. I tried playing the first game and just didn't enjoy it. I said "Imma try this again some other day" but guess I just don't care for the type of game as I didn't enjoy Elex either.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 12th, 2018, 14:36
It's different from Elex.
No trashmob respawns in Gothic (the world does get repopulated with harder hostiles but only when you progress a chapter).
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

February 12th, 2018, 15:42
I enjoyed Elex much more than I thought I would, and I've still not removed it off my hard drive because I hope that PB will release an expansion for it, although I'm sure that's just a pipe dream for me.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

February 12th, 2018, 16:02
You are that of course. Quite a few of us here are. That said, you were probably a PB fanboy before he was ever looking for a rusty dagger or knew one even existed.

I actually first started exploring the 'Watch for threads and chatter regarding Gothic II during my first ever non-NotR play-through in early 2007 or so. It was reassuring and fun to read like-minded players enjoying it as much as I was, digesting and describing its virtues. Thus reading praise for it so many years later often feels like the proverbial "preaching to the choir" and the critics can tend to go vehemently overboard in the attempts to bring the series down a peg or two.

I suspect it'll be somewhat in vain though, as I do think the series will always have a sentimental place in many 'Watchers hearts; whether that's a plainly naive projection on my part, time will tell.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic - Series 75% Off on Steam