Ni No Kuni 2 - New Difficulty Modes

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming A new patch for Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom has added Hard and Expert difficulty modes.

Going into slightly more details about the new difficulty modes, players can now choose how hard they want their challenge to be when they select “New Game” from the title screen, or by entering the in-game options menu at any time. The higher the setting, the harder the battles will be, but this will be offset by rarer treasures from monsters, from the chests in the Faraway Forest, and certain other places.

[...]
More information.

Apart from the initial sections, you can generally fight monsters up to 10 levels higher without significant difficulty (ie. monsters which are shown in "red"), so it probably is a bit too easy.

The only caveat to this is the so-called "tainted" monsters which are considerably harder and more closely match your level. I tended to wait until I had about three or four levels ahead of the tainteds.

Some of the bosses took a couple of attempts, but a lot depends how hard you want the "filler" content to be. I certainly wouldn't have minded a bit more challenge.

That being said, whilst I enjoyed the game, I perhaps didn't "love" it, and the difficulty isn't going to solve that. More variety in monsters and tactics is badly needed, rather than just palette-swaps with more hp/damage.

Yes, every review (and I agree) said the game was ridiculously easy. Even the tainted mobs, with some exceptions were too easy. The only place were I had some difficulty in the beginning was the RTS battles, until I found out that instead of going progressively up it was better if you picked the hardest battle 40000 levels above you as losing a battle had no consequences but you got a lot of experience from killing anything.

Except pretty much every review that says the game is too easy, which is one of the most often raised concern about the game.

Seriously? Trashmobs that respawn every single second being easy raised concerns?
It's easyness that is the problem, not the atrocious respawn rate?

Man…

Seriously? Trashmobs that respawn every single second being easy raised concerns?

Man…
You have to understand that not everyone shares your distinct distaste of respawns ;)

Sure and then if difficulty wasn't as it was originally, those same reviewers would say backtracking is a burden. You too.

Erm, Joxer, you *do* know that most respawn battles were skipable, right? The game provided several ways to let you control how much combat you wanted (within reason).

Can you play this game with Keyboard/Mouse?

Strongly considering purchasing it this week during the sale. Just not looking for a button mashing combo producing asian grindfest.

I am also considering purchasing it during the sale. The only things stopping me are the two future game expansions. If they are good I will want to play them to have the "full experience". If they are stand alone or they are set after the final events of the main game, I am OK with that. But if you can play them during the main game, then I prefer to wait until they release the "Ultimate/Definitive/Director's Cut/Emperor/Platinum/GOTY/etc" edition.
Unfortunately, this is happening with every game I am interested that have a Season Pass.

Erm, Joxer, you *do* know that most respawn battles were skipable, right? The game provided several ways to let you control how much combat you wanted (within reason).
The game is designed in a way you need the loot. Desperately. So grind. And grind. And grind. Become sir grind-a-lot in the kingdom of cats. Or mice.
Can you play this game with Keyboard/Mouse?
You can and the scheme is decent. You'll have no problems mving in any mode or during combat. However, town building menus are touchscreen design and somewhat clunky.
A slight annoyance might occur during platforming part (a certain boss battle), but it's nothing impossible and you won't see stupid platforming anywhere else.

Man…

It's a jrpg, so, grinding and respawning enemies every 20 seconds is design choice.

If you thing is that bad don't try disgaea or that kind of weaboo shit.

Design choice it was. Just as design choice was to make them trivial (once you have level high enough that is). Good or bad, fun or annoying, depends who you ask, right?

The topic is adding difficulty modes in a grinder. Which improves the game... Sorry I miss to see any kind of improvement. In fact, it feels more like degrading.

Back
Top Bottom