X4 Foundations - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » X4 Foundations

Default X4 Foundations

September 1st, 2017, 07:06
loading…

https://youtu.be/XeYbb0hf10U

Massive video that quickly jumps to the announcement trailer then gets into a lot of detail about what's happening in X4.

So Egosoft is taking what they've learned with Rebirth and making a game more like X3 with it. Heavily improved base building. Fly capital ships, even though they steer like cows. Be able to walk around in the ship while it flies (your pilot will quickly take over). Very map-based interface.

Looks like the NPCs look the same as in Rebirth at this point. No Borons at all yet. They're… fish. Kinda hard to have them wander around a space station or for you to go into one of their stations.

Sounds like a VR version is likely but it will be another game. Interface and frame rate demands are so different, they don't want to do the least common denominator thing on them.

Fast transport will be by simple driving (SETA is in again), highways for short range moving, gates for long range, and a new thing: teleporting. Once you research it, you can teleport between any ship you own! Sounds like that replaces the hyper jump, though we'll have to see for sure.

Oh, and better graphics. It's a computer game, after all.

Likely out next year. They don't know about Early Access. Ugh. Egosoft needs Early Access more than any company I know.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

September 1st, 2017, 09:45
So the usual Egosoft stuff I guess: Out in 2018, playable in 2019
Let's hope than they are able to go over their last game which was a huge mess and a terrible deception.

Aerth

Mentioned: Post(s)

September 2nd, 2017, 01:49
The last game got fairly good after a TON of updating. There's still some really sore points, like that conversation mechanic (though even that would have been good if they had made *far* more conversations), but it was plenty fun.

They've got a real nasty history of releasing games in a pretty terrible state, though. I can't say I'm surprised. They're a tiny little company making huge, complex games that need massive amounts of testing hours. That's why I would really love to see them use the Early Access thing! It's essentially player-paid beta testing! (Kappa testing?)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

November 15th, 2017, 18:41
They're currently doing the EA thing with the VR version of Rebirth. If you're a fan of VR, you should check it out. I'm really not, but this is the first VR game I've truly enjoyed. Rebirth , which I happen to like and think got more flak than it deserved, translates well into VR, and the controls are good.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

November 18th, 2017, 03:46
Oh, it deserved a TON of flak when it came out. The game was a mess. It got a lot better, though, and was pretty fun when I played it. I'm tempted by the VR version but, since I already played the game, I would rather do Elite Dangerous in VR.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

November 20th, 2017, 11:28
I have a couple of issues with the X games which are preventing my enjoyment of them. But I'm always keen to check them out - in the hopes they can change my mind.

NewDArt

November 21st, 2017, 02:11
Don't Germans have a reputation for making (and playing) boring games?

Dilvish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 02:40
Shots fired.
--
"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'tis that I may not weep."

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 03:29
It'll likely just bounce of that Panzer armor. They may not even know they took a "hit".
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

January 3rd, 2018, 05:38
More info
loading…
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

July 23rd, 2018, 18:41
So this is catching my attention lately. Not much news surrounding the project but I'd like to see where it goes.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

July 24th, 2018, 16:53
I've been playing Rebirth again (even posted a mod for it) so X is on my mind of late…

I do wonder about this teleporting thing. Are we going to be dropping cheap, little ships all over the galaxy as teleport stations?

Trade in Rebirth has gotten even better yet. I think I would be happy if they just transported that system over wholesale, though it would be nice to designate some zones (or whatever they have in X4) as no-go areas for trade ships.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

July 24th, 2018, 16:55
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I've been playing Rebirth again (even posted a mod for it) so X is on my mind of late…

I do wonder about this teleporting thing. Are we going to be dropping cheap, little ships all over the galaxy as teleport stations?

Trade in Rebirth has gotten even better yet. I think I would be happy if they just transported that system over wholesale, though it would be nice to designate some zones (or whatever they have in X4) as no-go areas for trade ships.
How is the exploration in Rebirth? Do the various systems and stations have a lot of unique stuff to find - or is it mostly the same thing with randomly generated characters, or?

Darth Tagnan

July 30th, 2018, 02:22
(I answered over in the Rebirth topic)

Some X4 screenshots: https://imgur.com/gallery/CqJMApQ
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

July 30th, 2018, 02:32
There is also a steam link with video; the big question is will it require 2 years of patching to be playable ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

July 30th, 2018, 05:47
All I know is I ain't goin' first!
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2018, 06:31
A vid from Gamescom - all in German.
loading…

Quick translation in this Egosoft forum thread: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic….er=asc&start=0
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2018, 06:43
Interesting and shiny. I like the idea of designing stuff. The recent chatter has actually got me playing a bit of X3TC recently. Will be watching to see how this version develops.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 24th, 2018, 01:48
I love how the engines twist around, though they seem to be behind the movement sometimes. That's something future development can fix up.

The station builder looks pretty interesting. X3TC had that by letting you put pipes between the stations but big complexes turned into a massive, frame killing maze of pipes that the AI had no hope of navigating. Rebirth had more sane stations but you could only add a few, pre-determined modules to them before the trade ships had to be used. This seems to combine both, letting you add the modules you want without making a massive ball of spaghetti. (Though I hope they do put *some* sort of limit on it or at least make sure you can't, say, block off a competing station by building your own station all around it.)
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

August 24th, 2018, 13:12
That looks pretty cool.

I've always liked the visuals in Egosoft's games going all the way back to X: Beyond the Frontier. I could never really get into them though because they're just not my thing. Too much emphasis on economy and base building for me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

Tags
betty, building, egosoft, space, trading
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » X4 Foundations