Phantom Doctrine - Espionage Gameplay

I'm buying.

Okay, not based on just one mission display, I need some more persuasion. Just a little. ;)

Its looking good alright. Why has no-one else tried something similar before now? Genres different from fantasy and science fiction are badly underserved in the rpg space.

That game looks interesting.

Why has no-one else tried something similar before now?

Invisible Inc.
Satellite Reign (although this one is not turn-based)

I'm sure there are others, just not talked about and they tend to be listed as strategy and not RPGs these days too.

I actually own both of those. Satellite Reign is a cyberpunk game and Invisible Inc is more a roguelike but closer to Phantom Doctrine in theme with the agents thing.

This seems different to me because of the whole 1980s spy thing. Alpha Protocol for the tactical rpg basically.

There's also that SPY DNA game, but the Kickstarter failed so I'm not sure what the status is. They occasionally post screenshots on twitter so I guess the game is still in development.

Already wishlisted. I'm also buying this.

Why has no-one else tried something similar before now?

There was also Hammer & Sickle, which was a pretty cool game, as memory serves. Nival Interactive, same folks who made Silent Storm.

What I wouldn't give to see another Espionage game like Alpha Protocol. Instead we get turn-based strategy games with RPG -lite game mechanics added to them.:disappointed:

What I wouldn't give to see another Espionage game like Alpha Protocol. Instead we get turn-based strategy games with RPG -lite game mechanics added to them.:disappointed:

I would like a well done Alpha Protocol as well. That game needed another year and lots of iteration.

Its looking good alright. Why has no-one else tried something similar before now? Genres different from fantasy and science fiction are badly underserved in the rpg space.
This is as much a RPG as is Xcom.

This is as much a RPG as is Xcom.

I know people don't consider X-com games RPG but consider this.

Points for:
-The character building and customisation of your squaddies
-tactical and strategic decision-making
-inventory management
-choice and consequence
-A dynamic story that reacts to changes in fortune

Points against:
-There is no character development of the commander. In fact there is no single character to focus on at all but most tactical rpgs are all about playing with the party anyways. (ie eye of the beholder) Perhaps more could be done to give squad members a particular personality and Firaxis XCOM developed this further.
-There are no npcs and quests to receive but that is because you are coming up with the main priorities yourself whether tech development or regions to secure. This is something that can be developed more and was explored in the Firaxis XCOM with special missions and now with Phoenix Point faction missions.

This genre is becoming more of an RPG than most so called RPGs because they flesh things out in a way that makes sense for the experience they are trying to create. Maybe this is because there is still room for expansion and growth for this type of game but I would not be shocked if these games are considered simply a different type of RPG in future.

Alpha Protocol is criminally underrated. With a few fixes it runs pretty well and doesn't look that bad. It may be a little short but there is some replay value.

As far as XCom turning into an RPG it depends on your definition of the genre. These days so many games sport an RPG tag when they're just glorified adventure games with some unlockable upgrades. All it would take would be a little push and an XCom game could qualify (although personally I'm not convinced it would necessarily be a good thing).

What I like about Phantom Doctrine is that it's supposed to be taking place in the early 80s which means it's still the Cold War and technology is nowhere what it is now (so it may not be possible to rely on some technological Deus ex machina to power through and instead we may have to resort to good old fashioned ingenuity).

Have this game bathed and brought to my quarters.

I liked what I saw, but I have one worry. The "Airstrike Timer". For any of you that played the recent Xcom games, how did you feel about the mission timers? For the most part I thought they really took away from the idea of "tactical" decision making, since you had to rush to meet an objective. Now, I understand why there needs to be some sort of timer - or else players would just hunker down and not move. However, there are alternatives to a "mission failed" timer in my opinion. For example, the Xcom:EW Meld Timer- reward vs. punishment timer. Another possibility is the Invisible Inc. rising threat timer or even the Hearthstone "Fatigue" timer. Given this is a stealth game, with steathly objectives, why not make the timer attached to certain objectives rather than the mission as a whole? Like you have 2 turns to disable security, 3 turns to unlock the safe, and 4 to kill a certain boss. There is no "mission failed" just either rising threat or diminishing rewards. What do think?

Yeah, I'm not so keen on timed missions, but I don't mind time-sensitive events that occur. I don't have a problem with an air strike being called, then having 2 minutes to clear the building, and that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom