Operencia: The Stolen Sun - Review @ MMORPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MMORPG has reviewed Operencia: The Stolen Sun:

The RPG Files: The RPG Files: Operencia: The Stolen Sun Review

Operencia: The Stolen Sun by Zen Studios is a throwback first-person turn-based dungeon crawler that seeks to add some modern polish to an older, underutilized formula of trying to put the player into a dungeon themselves, rather than controlling a character in the third person. While retro-styled games are definitely a popular design choice, this one doesn't see much in the way of use. Does it still hold up? Let's find out in our review of Operencia: The Stolen Sun.
[…]
Overall, Operencia: The Stolen Sun hits all the right points for a great, immersive RPG. The game is great fun to play, and exploring each dungeon, taking in the areas and listening to the characters banter with each other sucks you into the world. While it is definitely a niche game, those who enjoy it will definitely be well served to pick up Operencia and give it a go.

Pros
  • Characters & narrator provide backstory and insight
  • Each dungeon's environment is beautifully done
  • Puzzles & secrets reward curiosity and exploration
Cons
  • Interface could use some polish
  • Row system in combat feels inconsequential
Score: 8.5 / 10.0
More information.

This article got me interested in the game, which I had written off a bit. Sounds like fun. I would have gotten it immediately last night except saw it was not on Steam or Gog but with Epic Games. So probably wait till no longer exclusive ... unless I really get bored.

Launcher aside (which is a bummer you have to even consider such things in some ways when wanting to buy a game - and its more I am not a fan of a dozen different launchers on my PC), the game itself looks cool.

Anyone here played it?

wolfgrimdark - check the other Operencia threads from various news articles on the front page (scroll down). There have been a few thread where myself and others have given "mini reviews" of the game and our enjoyment of it.

wolfgrimdark - check the other Operencia threads from various news articles on the front page (scroll down). There have been a few thread where myself and others have given "mini reviews" of the game and our enjoyment of it.

Thanks and will do!

So, based on the fact that Outer Worlds is going to be an Epic-exclusive title as well, I resigned myself to the platform and bought this (since there's so few turn-based blobbers around). I just finished it and here are my thoughts.

It's very, very puzzle-centric - to the point that you'll spend 90% of the game not exploring or even fighting, but rather pixel-hunting, backtracking, and simply scratching your head absolutely lost. While the puzzles are exceptionally varied in their approach, they are almost always exceedingly vague and will have you try things out of desperation rather than outright clues. With that said, I would have preferred a game with more emphasis on exploration; oftentimes, it felt like combat and exploration were a minor detail in between yet more puzzles.

Still, it was an enjoyable setting and the combat skills, while not overly tactical, are fun to use. It's also commendable that there did not appear to be any randomly generated loot. Yay.

I'd rate it a generous 8/10. Slightly higher if you're the puzzle type.

That's truly disappointing to hear, I don't mind a few puzzles in the game but I really don't care for when they are the majority of the content, such as in the most recent Bard's Tale game. Thanks for the updated information, this might be one I can safely take off the "must buy in a year" list.

It's still enjoyable overall; I just liked StarCrawlers & M&M X a helluva lot more for my personal preferences. The repeated instances of running around for hours, frustrated out of my mind because I missed a single item or detail in the architecture definitely dampened my enjoyment of Operencia. Or I've just been spoiled by the last 30 years of quest design.

Why not just check a walkthrough after a certain point in those situations?

It's too bad there isn't more of a focus on exploration, but at least it's not 90% combat. From what I played, the combat didn't seem all that enjoyable.

Nevertheless, I've decided to give this another shot. Going to start over tonight and see how it goes.

Why not just check a walkthrough after a certain point in those situations?

I did. This guy's Let's Play is likely the only reason I didn't shelve this title out of frustration. I consulted it at 3 notable times, including for a 4x4 "slide puzzle" that took me completely out of the game as far as RPG gameplay is concerned.

JDR, if you're playing this, some thing to keep in mind:
  • There are fake walls, bear that in mind if you can't access an area on the map.
  • There are items attained much later in the game that will allow access into portions of old levels. They are [usually] noted on the map with their own little icon; ie. "small hole"
  • Some crafted potions don't need to be equipped at all to be utilized. Some do.

Thanks. I know you have to return to past levels to get some secrets. I like that considering how linear the game seems to be otherwise.

I hope the combat gets more challenging later on. I've seen some people claim they rarely ever lost a battle throughout the entire game.

Some nice feedback here. While I played many a King's Quest back in the day I admit these days I am not big on puzzles in games. I should be - they are great for the mind and good mental exercise. But I am older now and I have real life puzzles to keep me busy - balancing the condo accounts, researching health issues, solving programing problems at work :p

Anyhow I do enjoy some puzzles but not if that is the majority of the game and especially not the kind that can be very frustrating to do. I also tend to prefer when they are more optional.

Think I will shelf this game for now and just leave it on my wish list. I picked up ATOM RPG earlier and for $15 I am amazed not only at how good it looks and plays but how fun it is. I didn't think I would get another turn based game for at least another 5 years after DDOS2 … but I am rather enjoying this one. Plus you can ramp up the speed on the battles so they play out much faster when not your turn which helps.

Already finding some very unexpected consequences of some choices I made in ATOM. Also like that some of the skill checks are brutal. It means you can't waltz through every skill check which often tends to diminish the satisfaction of making one when you do. Other games let your companions cover skill checks and with the right party it means you pass them all ... which begs the question why even have them? Tides of Numeria and PK come to mind in that regard.

Oops a bit off topic. But main point is thanks for some more thoughts on the game, its been very helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom