Pillars of Eternity 2 officially adding turn based option - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pillars of Eternity 2 officially adding turn based option

Default Pillars of Eternity 2 officially adding turn based option

January 22nd, 2019, 18:41
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-…y-2-turn-based
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire players are no strangers to choice. But when you boot up the game from January 24 onwards, your first decision will come even before character creation – real-time or turn-based?

Since the inception of the series, Pillars has been firmly rooted in the wonderfully messy but deeply tactical real-time and pause paradigm of the Infinity Engine games. That wasn’t a decision the dev team made, so much as a duty they fulfilled to nostalgia-driven Kickstarter backers. Now, though, Deadfire is fully playable in a new turn-based mode. It’s the most fundamental and far-reaching change Obsidian has made to any of its games after release.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 18:54
Cool! More reasons to replay in 2019.

I also wonder if that's not a "test run" for a third game being turn-based from the get go too.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 19:06
Oh wow - this is an awesome development. This game just jumped onto my "most anticipated" list for this year…(since I haven't played it yet)
I will play turn-based from the getgo for my first playthrough.

Here is a video from Obsidian/Josh Sawyer about the new turn-based mode - it's in beta right now, so they want player feedback to tweak it in later patches…

https://youtu.be/1d77jrDn0co
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Last edited by Arkadia7; January 22nd, 2019 at 19:26.

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 19:30
I can smell smell many people here peeing their pants now.

yllaettaevaet

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 20:11
The question then becomes how will all the trash mob encounters be delt with?
I look forward to seeing how it all works out in the end.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 21:00
Believe it or not, there will be people complaining about this sooner or later. I saw some amusing posts even here where people seemed to be against adding a turn-based combat to this game…lol. It reminded me of gamers who on forums would make the silliest responses when someone would ask for a "walk" mode in these types of games, they would literally be pissed off and/or indignant that someone suggested it, even though it wouldn't affect their gaming experience at all.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 21:16
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
The question then becomes how will all the trash mob encounters be delt with?
TB is getting its own encounter balancing, which is probably why it's going to be in "beta" for a little while.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 21:22
Good news! I'm looking forward to firing it up in turn based mode.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 22:12
After the turn based combat is completely tuned, I'll be picking this one up.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 22:57
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Believe it or not, there will be people complaining about this sooner or later. I saw some amusing posts even here where people seemed to be against adding a turn-based combat to this game…lol. It reminded me of gamers who on forums would make the silliest responses when someone would ask for a "walk" mode in these types of games, they would literally be pissed off and/or indignant that someone suggested it, even though it wouldn't affect their gaming experience at all.
It's only half silly.
When the devs work on a feature you won't use, these occupied ressources can't work on a feature you would like to use. So it might actually affect their gaming experience indirectly.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: -

Morrandir

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 23:35
Bloody awesome and a really interesting move.
Last edited by TomRon; January 22nd, 2019 at 23:52.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 02:53
I would have been REALLY happy six months ago but now the Tower of Time has spoiled me with it's slow-on-space. I want even more than that, though, I want dial-a-speed! Let me hold down the control key and zip my mouse wheel up or down to change the speed of the game. A good, strong turn down and it stops. Move it a tiny bit up and it creeps forward so I can see how the tactics are playing out and make any emergency changes I need. Then slowly increase speed as confidence increases. Crank it to max when the outcome is obvious.

Still, turn based is definitely a Good Thing. It's releasing in beta mode so I'll be holding off for a few months to let it finish cooking.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 03:13
I was very much enjoying Tower of Time before I paused it to jump into Shining in the Darkness. When I complete Shining, I will be right back to finish exploring that tower and dealing with all the nasties!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 11:46
I like the idea. Of course, it has to be executed well, but I'm optimistic.

Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I would have been REALLY happy six months ago but now the Tower of Time has spoiled me with it's slow-on-space. I want even more than that, though, I want dial-a-speed! Let me hold down the control key and zip my mouse wheel up or down to change the speed of the game. A good, strong turn down and it stops. Move it a tiny bit up and it creeps forward so I can see how the tactics are playing out and make any emergency changes I need. Then slowly increase speed as confidence increases. Crank it to max when the outcome is obvious.

Still, turn based is definitely a Good Thing. It's releasing in beta mode so I'll be holding off for a few months to let it finish cooking.
IE Mod for the first game has an option to slow the game even further in combat, or to speed it up even more when exploring. I wonder if similar mod will be available for Deadfire.

Ivanwah

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pillars of Eternity 2 officially adding turn based option