GOG rejected to publish Grimoire for being too niche - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » GOG rejected to publish Grimoire for being too niche

Default GOG rejected to publish Grimoire for being too niche

February 8th, 2019, 10:07
Says a topic in GOG forums. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds ridiculous to reject it based on that reason for a digital distributor that earned its fame mainly by publishing niche products.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/go…eing_too_niche

Your thoughts?
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 10:14
My opinion it's not the first time GOG rejected a game over a projection of low sales. I've see developers talk about this before on other sites, but GOG is a business first.

Simply put it's probably not worth the time and money for very niche low selling games on the service. As GOG has moved past only selling niche games in the last few years.

It might also be a political move due to whose the developer of Grimoire.

Update: Seems it's RPGCodex trolling again.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 12:19
Is this actually true? Because it sounds like bullshit.

Darth Tagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2019, 12:24
Bullshit maybe but it's their right to say no to any game they want to.

Anyway the codex started this mess and they thrive on outrage game culture. As for posting private business emails on a public site that's another legal matter to look into.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Last edited by Couchpotato; February 8th, 2019 at 15:51. Reason: Missing an r

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

February 8th, 2019, 12:47
Well many of GoG recent releases are niche indie games (not that I have heard much of them), and I don't think they have a huge market - but yet they are on GoG!

Maybe its the gobbledygook graphics and user interface of Grimoire that threw them off.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 16:18
I find this hard to believe, as Grimoire is clearly quite similar to many games that great old games offers on their site. Until we hear something from either the author of the game or GoG themselves, I'm casting shade on this.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 16:26
Oddly, some who mantra about EA scamware didn't say here GOG is business and not charity.

Well then. Imagine you're running that business and are trying to sign a normal, usual contract with - Cleve. Is something like that even possible? Unless you're running some charity.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; February 8th, 2019 at 16:38.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 16:30
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Oddly, some who mantra about EA scamware didn't says here GOG is business and not charity.
While I hate EA I would buy and sell their games before Cleve's.

Not gonna apologize either I hate the guy more then EA.

Someone should warn him that public opinion matters for selling games. As one Snafu can ruin your game in the public eye, and it's very hard to earn back buyer's trust.

Just look at the politicization of games nowadays it doesn't help either.
--

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

February 8th, 2019, 16:43
Erm, I mentioned EA only because when I start spitting on lootboxes and frauds someone comes to "correct" me that EA is not charity.
Well, neither is GOG.

Now about what is more profitable that's no brainer. Works with other types of entertainment/art. And I don't mean just cases where noone buys London Orchestra masterpiece albums yet everyone buys Justin Bieber singles.
But even then, I'd rather be in business selling Pokemon Go and Candy Crush Saga than EA's gambling digital slotmachines falsely advertised as videogames. The latter will soon return to bite someone's arse.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 17:40
Its a really just about Cleve's inability to keep his mouth shut in the modern era where SJ is a clear reality. He's not that hard to get to and I've told him to STFU but I'm pretty sure he won't listen. Too bad the game is great. A true Wizardry 7 tribute assuming you are into such things.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 18:47
Yeah, if true, it might just come down to a pragmatic decision - how many units is this really going to sell, and how much grief is this jackass going to bring to our door? Considering his levels of professionalism, and his various litigious threats, I wouldn't get into business with him.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 19:09
Cleve himself said this to be true. He said they used to contact him about putting the game on GOG when it was ready, then when it was ready they refused the game due to being too niche. It's probably due to the controversy surrounding the author of the game.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 19:22
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Cleve himself said this to be true. He said they used to contact him about putting the game on GOG when it was ready, then when it was ready they refused the game due to being too niche. It's probably due to the controversy surrounding the author of the game.
I would be really surprised if it was due to 'controversy'. Aside from a couple of niche forums nobody knows or cares who Cleve is. It's not like gog is going to get a twitter storm of bs outrage over cultural appropriation or some such other garbage.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

February 8th, 2019, 19:42
I think you are underestimating the SJW impact on GOG. Just google "gog sjw" and enjoy the reading. Welcome to 1984
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2019, 19:59
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I think you are underestimating the SJW impact on GOG. Just google "gog sjw" and enjoy the reading. Welcome to 1984
Thats fair. Thank you.
I won't be googling it as I will take your word on it.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

February 9th, 2019, 03:37
I think it's all just bs. By default I don't believe anything related to Grimoire anywhere.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

February 9th, 2019, 11:02
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Says a topic in GOG forums. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds ridiculous to reject it based on that reason for a digital distributor that earned its fame mainly by publishing niche products.
Thinking of how many *extreme* niche products are out there at GOG, I must say that I'm surprised.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 9th, 2019, 11:13
Yeah, I'd say the GOG people read his responses to critical consumer reviews on Steam, and were like "Nah, we're good".

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

February 9th, 2019, 12:30
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Yeah, if true, it might just come down to a pragmatic decision - how many units is this really going to sell, and how much grief is this jackass going to bring to our door? Considering his levels of professionalism, and his various litigious threats, I wouldn't get into business with him.
Indeed. Understandable business decision. Basicly it boils down to: Is this worth of all the headaches this developer causes?

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 9th, 2019, 18:20
It's also entirely likely that Grimoire doesn't meet the (low) quality bar that GOG requires. Be honest, if someone said to you "Hey, I bought Grimoire and when I launch it it just crashes" every single one of you would react with "Yep, that math checks out, probably true."

peterb

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » GOG rejected to publish Grimoire for being too niche